1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubt

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. sombrero23

sombrero23 Fapstronaut

So uh, hello.

I joined this group, because I find it most compatible with my personality.
    I love religion for its wisdom and hate it for being manipulative at the same time. I don't think that any of these religions are wrong at anything, in my opinion they are so diverse because the world was also created diverse. I think that even atheism has some point

But recently I watched this video, where a guy explains that there is nothing after death. We just vanish like a bubble which touches the ground. And you know, it is said that fearing death is irrational, because what's the point of fearing something unavoidable. But when I think about it, my body begins to jolt, and heart starts beating faster. That frightens me so much, my soul being deleted like a file from a computer... But at the same time, something uncatchable keeps telling me that things are otherwise. I don't know what that is, maybe only fear, stupidity or something similiar. But that thing doesn't disappear.

Tell me, what do you think happens after death? What are your feeling when you think about dying? Please, do not bring up any book for an argument, just your personal feelings.

Cheers

2. I have different thoughts on this subject. A part of me fears death. One part of me fears that I'll die before achieving what I hope to achieve. Also I fear that I might encounter a mean and angry God. You read about God in the Bible and it seems pretty terrifying. But on the other end the idea that there is no God and just basically nothing after this life makes me feel depressed.

Really I don't think I could believe that there is no God, but I've been struggling to pray since there's this thought in my head questioning if God is real. I sometimes feel like one side of my brain is Christian and the other side is atheist.
    Anyway I hope that on the side of eternity that God is forgiving and understanding. I hope he shows grace to people who couldn't quite figure the truth about him.

3. sombrero23

sombrero23 Fapstronaut

Well, achieving things before death is another matter, I have there my own concerns too.

I think that God isn't either mean or forgiving, these are human qualities. What I mean, is that there is a quote (which is a favourite of mine btw) which says "And God created man in his image". But does it mean that we look alike? I don't think so. In my opinion it shows that no matter how different we are, we come from the same creator.

The biggest concern I have about God, is that from the one side I know that if he/she/it suddenly showed himself/herself/itself the whole point of religion and faith is for nothing. There is just no point in believing in something that is a fact, you just know it's true, and denying a fact is irrational. But from the other side, without him/her/it being obviously present in our lives, makes me question myself if my faith is right. What if I just believe in it because it comforts me, and I fool myself so I'm not so afraid of death.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about all these things anymore

4. Not believing in afterlife is simply is a relaxing thought rather than an irritating one. For this reason: You will not be held accountable for the actions you've done in this life, you'll get away with all the wrong doing if you are a really bad person. Religions rationalize people's actions. All Religions do people good in terms of morals. Difference though between religions imo, is the worshiping concept, who do followers of an X religion worship, what's their view about a Creator, rituals and spiritual actions that followers of a certain religion do.

Study religions with logic. See what fits best for you.

I'm a Muslim myself, If you want to know more about Islam, I can answer some of your questions.

5. FollowerOfTheWay

FollowerOfTheWay Fapstronaut

A part of me would love it if there would be nothing. Things would so much easier.
    No fear of hell and no fear of the endless circle of reincarnation and eternal suffering :D
    I personally believe in a god. Have felt a connection the whole of my life and even trying to be a hardcore atheist didn't eliminate that feeling.
    And recently I believe it doesn't matter to god if we believe in him or not. Cause how would it impact something so powerful, when beings who are unable to control their day to day activities believe in him or not.
    But the question is really how would the knowledge of there being no god or there being one actually impact you.
    Would you act differently and then why?
    For me there is a code that I would be determined to follow, even if scientist told me with 100% certainty that god does not exist.
    It would not impact my way of life. And if you live a life of virtue, you will be remembered as one with virtue when you die and cease to exist in the absence of an afterlife.
    And if you don't believe in god but follow virtue, I am more than sure god would embrace you.
    If he wouldn`t well that would be funny :D
    But fear of god will limit your understanding of him I believe at least.

By the way that part of a part of your brain being a believer and the other being atheist. Not so far from the truth. Check out this video :D

6. planters1987

planters1987 Fapstronaut

I believe we were created by a father out of love, so we can love another in this life and the next. I fear death, but I accept death. I try my damn hardest to love those around me. By love i mean "willing the good of another". So my biggest concern is that I did a shitty job of loving my neighbors and my loved ones. I believe we are destined to be kings and queens in the next life because we will be united with out creator, if we choose to love him back.