1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Confession & Shame/Guilt

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. James02

James02 Fapstronaut

I used to be more regular at confession. Last 6-8 months, I've struggled to go.

I realize the reason is due to admitting the same sin over & over coupled with the shame/guilt that goes behind the sin. The addiction wants to keep it quite & the acts in the dark. I know this is an addiction of mine, but it feels like a cop-out to go to the priest, confess the same thing, but not have any "improvement" to report.

Does anyone else relate to this?

Saskia Simone and Flyhigh like this.
  2. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

Yes it becomes kind of a nagging feeling, but it's still good to go. What you do want to try to avoid is making confession part of the ritual. If you're asking yourself questions like, "can I get to confession before the next time I goto mass?" that's a good sign it's just part of the ritual now, and you need to reflect inwardly on how to change that.

To help think inwardly and break the cycle, after I receive the Sacrament of Communion, I like St. Padre Pio's "Stay With Me, Lord" prayer, it can help here I think, especially the first few paragraphs:

3. James02

James02 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the feedback, much needed.

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  4. Ixthus

Ixthus Fapstronaut

It is not at all unusual and is actually a good sign to confess the same sins over and over again.

It means you are still battling them and the struggle is still on.
    Your priest will be proud of you in your endeavour to allow Christ to claim the victory.

If it helps, just remember that it is to Christ you are confessing, the priest is there to hear you so he can give pastoral advice and administer the absolution

Turn thy face from my sins: and put out all my misdeeds.
    Make me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me
    . (Psalm 51:9-10 Coverdale Translation 1535)

5. D13

D13 Fapstronaut

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I've been really wanting to do a total life examination of all my sins, confess them and in prayer make ammends.
    Similar to maybe a 12 step program but not really wanting to go through the drill sargent atmosphere of those programs, any advice?

Agatha likes this.
  6. Joey_Trying

Joey_Trying Fapstronaut

I think a lot of men can relate to this. I'm one of them, certainly. One thing to think about, something I heard from a wise priest, is this: The sin may be the same over and over and over again, but YOU are not. And all God is concerned about when you step into the confessional is you.

FreedomPlease, lucentio and LavaMe like this.
  7. Agatha

Agatha Fapstronaut

I have the same desire sometimes and I have to ask myself why. For me, I need to grow in faith that God truly forgives my sins, event those I can't forgive myself - also because I repeat them again and again.
    I would be interested in your process... if you like.
    Agatha

D13 likes this.
  8. Agatha

Agatha Fapstronaut

The thought that the priest could "be proud of" me in my "endeavour to allow Christ to claim the victory" helps me A LOT as I am struggling with a lot of shame to confess this sin before priest - who is always a man.

9. thetonymaster

thetonymaster New Fapstronaut

A priest can be an excellent accountability partner, because they understand human nature more than other people, being ashamed is good because you know you are doing something bad, doubt the priest will be scandalized if you go over and over with the same sins since this they hear this type of stuff over and over. Just try to get a priest to can give you advice, I would recommend to go to confession with a trad priest.

Agatha likes this.
  10. D13

D13 Fapstronaut

Agatha, I just saw your reply. Yes for sure.
    I started a 12 step and now have a sponsor that I won't be ashamed to confess all of my past actions to during my 'housecleaning'. Total disclosure is vital

Agatha likes this.
  11. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

Regarding forgiving yourself I struggle with that. One thing that helps is a talk I heard by Fr. Chad Ripperger. He mentions that when we don’t forgive ourselves we actually stand in judgment of God. We are essentially saying we have better judgment than God. It is therefore really pride to not forgive ourselves. It is the type of pernicious pride that we see, falsely, as humility.

Meditate on that. When you have trouble forgiving yourself remember this.

Agatha likes this.
  12. Agatha

Agatha Fapstronaut

Thank you so much, LavaMe. This sounds so right and I will meditate on that indeed! I know several conferences of Fr. Chad Ripperger and I appreciate them greatly. Do you think of any particular talk/homily I could listen to?

Squid_PH likes this.
  13. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

Sorry, I can’t remember which talks he mentioned this in. It could have been about self, or pride or something else. You can find talks on YouTube or here on this website:

https://sentrad.org/multimedia/

Agatha likes this.
  14. Squid_PH

Squid_PH Fapstronaut

Please search the healing power of confession by Dr. Scott Hahn. It is a really powerful and inspiring speech about the sacrament of confession. I learned that it is a sacrament of unconditional love for us by God.

part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

God bless brothers and sisters!

Agatha likes this.
  15. I feel your uneasiness, I often feel too ashamed to participate in the Sacrament of Penance. I still go, every week in fact. I've been doing it for three years straight, because I need the Sacrament to strengthen me. Because I need Jesus Christ. I'm a sick man in need of a hospital. So I have the Church, I have Christ.