1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rappers using samples

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 8, 2017.

What do ya think?

1. It's cool, the shouldn't have to give creds

55.6%
  2. Thats not right, b

22.2%
  3. I don't care about any of this

22.2%
  1. Nowadays rappers use samples from other songs. They take beats from older songs and alter them and rap over them. There's countless examples. Take a look at this song (really only need to listen to the first 10 seconds)..

Now this, newer, song.. (first 10-20 secs)

Now that's kinda crazy to me. Almost all rappers do this but they don't give creds to the other producers.

Take a look at this. If you know the rap artist/actor Drake then take a listen. This isn't right imo..

What yall think

2. 2+2is4

2+2is4 Fapstronaut

It's the history of rap music. The old big rappers like PAC and Biggie and also the older ones were sampling, hip hop and rap grew up like this, so it's fine and good for me. The quality is higher as well.

If it's too close to the original they have to pay for this btw.

3. What do you think of the 3rd video? He copies word from word lyrics lol

4. 2+2is4

2+2is4 Fapstronaut

Ye, that's really bullshit. I'm not so much into American rap but I heard that drake is not even writing his own lyrics, that he has ghostwriters. I don't like that. The most I like on rap is that rappers tell stories and about their life's and it should be real. Pop artists can have ghostwriters and can copy songs one to one but a rapper should be creative and real

5. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

They're using beats and lyrics from another song, and using it for commercial purposes. That itself violates copyrights; it's not some little fair use thing where it's in front of family or something. Unless they get permission from the original owner, of course.

For me, if I wrote and did a song, I'd be angry if a rap song ripped it off. At least have it be a good genre of music like rock or metal.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Yeah drake ghostwrites all the time. But people love him (at least in usa & canada).

7. 2+2is4

2+2is4 Fapstronaut

I know, he's one of the most successful guys in the rap game world wide but for me without realness and without a real character. He is more like a pop artist for me

8. I agree 100%

2+2is4 likes this.
  9. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

10. 3rdEye

3rdEye Fapstronaut

This is not new, every rap artist samples other artists from very different genres of music

11. I think it is wrong, but I really could never see anything redeeming about rap in the first place.

12. Yeah, people love him in the UK too. I like some of his songs but he's definitely a faker.

I think it would be nice if rappers did acknowledge who they sample.

13. Samples might be the same, but the message clearly isn't.
    They might steal those samples but they can't steal proper rhyming skills and flow. Unfortunately, rapping about dumb stuff nowadays is the way to earn cash for most so called "rappers"

Just like Jay-Z said "I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars" - Its not those modern rappers, its about people that listen to them ...

14. Yes, its not new

15. Sweet, seems like you listened to it enough/gave it a try to form a valid point here.

Menta_Na likes this.
  16. To be fair, however, rap is a genre that will never die because it's constantly evolving. There's so many sub-sections.

Jay Z is easily one of the top 3 rappers of all time. There's artists like him who utilize talented rhyming scheme.

When you refer to rappers sing about "dumb stuff," it's a subsection. Trap music is new movement and calling it "dumb" is ignorant. I don't like heavy metal or slipknot but I recognize that its a huge hit with people.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s rappers typically made songs that were violent. Tupac raised Biggie into the spotlight, w/o Pac biggie wouldn't have been in the game. He taught him this, "you gotta make songs for the hoes, not just for the boys. Songs for the hoes sells records." Which is 100% true.

Big poppa, juicy, changes, etc. Basically all the songs they play at clubs were by far there most popular work. But by far not their best. People nowadays wouldn't like the gangster shit they sung about killing eachother. But that's what was happening at that time and a large, large % of their songs.

17. I've listened to way more than I would have liked. Everyone in high school and college loved it.

18. I would not say that rap is evolving. Rap stands for Rhyme And Poetry, rap is supposed to have whole different meaning than it has today. Rap is one simple genre and it upholds specific scheme without "sub-genres" Just like hip-hop came out from genre Jazz, we aren't calling Hip-Hop sub genre of Jazz now do we ?

Having a guy mumbling random stuff to his mic will never be rap. You seem to be someone that's not introduced to darker side of hip-hop industry, but that's just my assumption i may be wrong.
    Rap and hip hop are long discussion topics, which i dont have interest to talk about on this place. I do respect your views, but from my perspective they're superstitious and wrong.

When we prostitute things like misogyny and violence for the sake of entertainment, we perpetuate villainous ideas as heroic. Hip hop is one of our generation's perpetrators, but is also the art form that can turn this ship around.

19. Hello xander, you said your assumption may be wrong, and it is.

I'm not gonna get into this discussion bc you don't want to and I would type a 10 page, MLA format, single spaced paper on the history of hip-hop is excruciating detail.

Briefly, rap is evolving. You claim it's not bc "a guy mumbling on the mic" (trap music) is not rap. But bc you don't like it doesn't make it not rap. They are rhyming their words together if you listen to the lyrics.

I listen to a significant amount of rap/hip-hop, not to sound naive. Perhaps too much. That's the one of the few things I'm actually very knowledgeable about. I listen to alot of other music and know their histories, but rap the most.

Alot of people assume 90s is where rap began with tupac/biggie. That's not true. Early 80s with rap groups such as sugarhill gang is around the time it began (mid-70s). There's little to no violent lyrics in this stage of rap.

It changed (evolved) drastically into "gangster rap" early 90s-ish.

Then from 2000 on, it's really spreads out to different people/types of hip-hop. To give you an idea this is where Wayne was easily top 3 at this time.

You have really old school hiphop, gangster rap, and then a multitude of different sub-sections. But this is where I leave you off bc I'll be typing forever.

However, the most recent rap stage is "trap music." This is where we disagree. So in my opinion, I believe trap music is good but if you are comparing it to any other sub-section in hip-hop's history, it doesn't compare.

Now. What I mean by that is the rhyming skill / story-telling skill in "trap music" is much worse (or less advanced) than what you would consider "real rap."

You CANNOT compare this man kodak black (in the video above) to jay-z (for example). You can't claim kodak is better, you just cant.

The thing you have to understand about "trap" music is its a movement right now. If you look at college kids (me btw), they're listening to it more and more. I listen to a plethora of trap music and theres some that I would consider to be "bad music." I still recognize it's hip-hop.

To address the idolizing crime in hip-hop. First off, not all rappers sing about that. Alot of rappers nowadays just speak about smoking weed and making money. 90% of these rappers grew up in "the hood." Some of these rappers grew up in the shits, selling drugs, shooting eachother. They sing about what they know. And this was, if not more prelevant, in the 90s. Idk what you refer to as "dark side" of rap, but the 90s was the most murderous and criminal of music then any "mumble rap" as you claim.

More artists are going into the game constantly and creating their own "wave," which certain artists I can name really have their own sub-genres of rap (travis scott, kanye, etc, etc, etc).

Jay-Z was a BIG scale international drug dealer for many years and was a millionaire before he hopped on the microphone. What is he supposed to sing about it? Lmao. Rappers sing about their life, that's all they know. They don't care if people don't like it