1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What foreign language are you studying?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Born_For_War, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

Where is this, if you don't mind my asking? It has always been interesting to me that where I am from the bar is set so low that most never even become very proficient in their own language.

2. Harry Maclad

Harry Maclad Fapstronaut

I am learning Spanish, through Duolingo(an online website for learning language), Duolingo is free, and a great resorce but I feel like its lacking in more conversational related things.

3. LonerWolf

LonerWolf Fapstronaut

Mein auslander sprache ist Deutsche.

4. I just started learning Esperanto on Duolingo after finding this thread. It didn't occur to me that studying a new language could be part of rebooting. This also gives me something to do after putting out job applications.:emoji_nerd:

5. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I’ve bern studying Japanese as a night class, I’m still a beginner and working on my grammar and am still trying to memorize the Katakana alphabet as well as a few common Kanji. If anyone else is learning Japanese and wants someone to talk and learn it with message me ! I think it’d be fun and we could learn faster if we practiced talking to each other as well :).

6. Martin94

Martin94 New Fapstronaut

I have been studying a bit of Russian. I have a textbook and also use websites such as duolingo, memrise and a few other resources. I already speak Swedish and English and did not feel like learning another germanic language or a romance language for that matter. I just found the slavic languages very fascinating.

7. LCKDLE740

LCKDLE740 New Fapstronaut

It is quite hard! But I’m slowly getting there I think.

Born_For_War likes this.
  8. DE.HK

DE.HK Fapstronaut

Ich auch. Ich komme aus Hong Kong und ich studiere in Köln. Warum möchtest Deutsche lernen? Entschuldigung. Ich spreche nicht gut Deu, jaja!

9. Eric8475

Eric8475 Fapstronaut

I don’t mind at all, it’s just that I’d like to keep a little anonymity here. ;)
    It’s a small country in Europe, hence the need to speak the languages of our neighbours. It’s a blessing to be multilingual and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Born_For_War likes this.
  10. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Guys, it's a damn shame they don't teach the classics in boys' schools any more, or even in many Universities for that matter. I studied a bit of Latin and ancient Greek in my spare time, and found them to be immensely satisfying. My sound grasp of the Koine Greek verb makes it easier to understand its Polish counterpart, e.g. the Polish perfective forms are generally used in the sense of the Greek Aorist. Anyone here studied Latin or ancient (or Biblical) Greek?
    Me too, man. I tried Russian at age 15 after studying a bit of Latin, but found it too difficult to grasp, so I elected for Polish instead.

11. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

Mandarin Chinese. My wife is Taiwanese, and if we ever decide to live close to her parents again, permanently, I'd like to have a better living experience than the first 15 months I'd spent there previous.

12. Ender Atreides

I am happy to hear that. It is often perceived as weird, unusual or even condescending to seek to achieve at that level and set the bar high in the community that I live in. It is great to see that somewhere out there it is quite the opposite!

13. Ender Atreides

I am very busy, I would be happy to talk once in a while and it would help me as well! Message me any time!

Kman20 likes this.
  14. vinilzord2.0

vinilzord2.0 Fapstronaut

Dude, that's pretty awesome. Do you think that a presential course is mandatory to learn it properly? This year I'll study it too via books and practicing with native speakers. I still have two years ahead of me, I don't intend to be fluent but I want to be able to understand the language enough to interact with people and survive on my own during the Olympics.

15. CBook

CBook Fapstronaut

It's definitely a shame! These languages are great foundations for future learning. I've studied some Latin, it was an eligible course in upper secondary school. Since one doesn't need to practice verbal communication I guess it's comparatively easy to self-study too. I only have a basic understanding, but it's still helping me to understand Latin phrases and more English words.

Born_For_War likes this.
  16. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Yeah, one great thing about Latin is that it allows you to cultivate a deeper understanding of Latin -> English loan words. Compound verbs like transmitto, transmittere, transmisi, transmissus often have counterparts in English vocab, in this case the verb "transmit." We also get words like "submit," "permit," "dismiss," etc. all from the same root!

Polish is very similar in this regard, e.g. widzieć/zobaczyć produces the following compound verbs:

doiwidzieć (see well, not miss seeing)
    niedowidzieć (be short-sighted)
    przewidzieć/się/ (foresee, anticipate, forecast; loom, appear, be wrong)
    przywidzieć się (imagine)
    etc. etc.

Maybe @Ryszard Mazur can give me some examples (or, przykłady) of these verbs in the context of sentences! Would you say, "Ja się przywidziałbym, że to jest możliwe" (I would imagine that this is possible) or is that usage of the verb not correct?

Ryszard Mazur likes this.
  17. Ryszard Mazur

Ryszard Mazur Fapstronaut

Hey ...

dowidzieć (see well, not miss seeing): On już niedowidzi: He cannot see that well anymore, his eyesight is failing

Nie dowidzę: I cannot see that from here

Coś mi się przewidziało: I saw sth which was not there/wasn't real

Przywidziało mu się jego żona stała koło kominka .... : dated : He imagined his wife was standing ....

These are examples from my head, might not be 100 per cent correct :)

Born_For_War likes this.
  18. LonerWolf

LonerWolf Fapstronaut

IST MEIN DEUTSCH GUTE? NICHT?

19. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

NEIN

20. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Thanks man! Appreciate it!