1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical activity, fitness

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Megasameru, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Megasameru

Megasameru Fapstronaut

Im trying to get in shape but I really dont know what exercises to do or if Im doing them correctly.
    Do you recommend any Personal Trainer APP that can help a total beginer? I mean something that is really specific about the positions I should be, since I know doing exercises the wrong way can be very dangerous, and aware of my weight and capacity.

If you know a few exercises I can do please just comment them, by the way Im really skinny so It should have anything to do with weight loss since Im avoiding it. Im just trying to improve my physical state, be more active and gain muscular mass. Thank you.

2. SuperSloth573

SuperSloth573 Fapstronaut

I usually do jump rope and body weight exercises with minimal weights until I get access to a gym that isnt in my home.

Megasameru likes this.
  3. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Lift free weights to failure. Push ups and pull ups. Eat the correct number of calories with the right balance of macros to promote gains.

Megasameru likes this.
  4. Spoony

Spoony Fapstronaut

Right. Are you cutting or bulking? cutting is losing weight and bulking is putting on weight to increase muscles mass. They both have different exercises.

For me at the moment i am cutting and will be for the next 4 months because i am overweight so my routine is 6 days a week 3 days high intensity cardio and 3 days weight training only working on big groups (back chest legs abs) i will occadionally do arm workout just to fill the time.

Plus maintaining a calorie deficit of around 500 calories per day. I eat when and where i can with chicken and fish and sub in bcaa and when protein to help with recovery and keeping a high protein intake to prevent muscle loss.

This will last until my body fat % is down to hopefully single digits but if i get down to 15% then i will check my weight and see if i want to bulk or maintain the weight. My ideal weight i want to be is between 80-90kg as its an easier target to achieve.

Dont waste your time with personal trainers too much and some gyms have a trial when you sign up with one of.their personal trainers for maybe a couple of hours.

Look at your diet first because you cant out train a bad diet. Download a fitness app to help you keep track of calories it is more simple than you would think. Dont get lost in the minefield of supplements and all the different languages just get started first and once you get into a routine then you can start to learn about macros e.t.c

Hitto and Megasameru like this.
  5. VirilitySupreme

VirilitySupreme Fapstronaut

Hello friend,

my advice is to focus on compound movements since you are trying to gain weight:

Squats, deadlifts, pull-ups and dips.

The hormonal response with these exercises is bigger than doing isolation movements (bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc.).

You need to eat a lot to get bigger ! Focus on real food, nothing coming out from a box !

Look up all the exercises that I mentioned on Google or Youtube. You'll find plenty of information on how to do these exercises wihtout hurting yourself.

Good luck !

6. Gideonite

Gideonite Fapstronaut

As already mentioned, stronglift 5x5 (5 reps & 5 sets) with compound movements is probably best if you want to gain muscle and strength. Nutrition is key as well. Make sure to track how much you eat if you feel you don't get enough. There is better forums for this tho. There are also gurus on youtube which can be really inspiring in the early stages. I recommend Chris Jones and Big brandon Carter. Good luck mate!

Gideonite

7. I'd HIGHLY suggest Athlean-X and Jeff, the owner's, programs. He helped me greatly when I was super skinny. His programs are costly, but worth it. I think his six pack app is free so that's something to start you off.

As a note if you don't want to buy his programs, his YouTube videos are what originally got me fit. I went from being obese to super skinny (which was my goal at the time) based only on his videos. Now I still follow his videos, although I don't use his subscription based programs (I write my own now), and through his videos I've been able to put on huge amounts of muscle.

Good luck to you my friend, it's a trying journey to get fit, especially when you are thin. My best piece of personal advice is learn to eat, a ton. I would very much suggest starting to eat hemp seed hearts as well as a piece of dietary info.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. My doctor told me about a website called "A Shot of Adrenaline" that has a bunch of calisthenics exercises. I like body weight training because it gets you "in shape" instead of just big, and calisthenics were what we did in basic. I only do beginner's exercises, so far, because I am just getting started, and also because beginner's exercises are hard to get wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2018
  9. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Athlean x is one of the best fitness programs out there I was in shape but his channel also shows you smarter ways to train as well

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. LonerWolf

LonerWolf Fapstronaut

random question for y'all, how would hiking up on a rocky trail once a week do for fitness?

11. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

There good to maintain and or lose weight doesn't do much for muscle growth

12. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

I would focus on selecting six compound movements:

A vertical push
    A horizontal push
    A vertical pull
    A horizontal pull
    A hip hinge
    A squat of some kind

Then decide upon your implements and weekly commitment of how many days you will train. No more than 3-4 days per week are necessary. So you can do something like two upper body days and two lower body days, or full body 3 times per week.

As to nutrition, I'd keep it simple at first and get one gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. 50-60 grams of fat per day for hormonal health. And then fill in carbs/veggies to satiety at each meal. Stay away from supplements that claim to build muscle. Some build your brain and organ health, some help marginally with recovery, but don't fall for hype.

13. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

Look at equipment you'll have access to, then your skill level. Start simple. Btw, simple doesn't have to equate to easy (eg, you can push your ass off on a chest press machine and only move half the stack for starters, which leaves room for much future effort/improvement). Choose programming/implements you'll enjoy, something trackable, feel confident in, and energetic in. Good luck.

14. Kennievel

Kennievel Fapstronaut

Check out stronglifts.com. I've only started this program about 3 weeks ago and I can feel a slight change. It gives a really detailed, no bullshit approach to lifting weights. From proper posture, breathing, rest times to measured progress. It's efficient and really easy to follow. Hope this helps in your future endeavours.