1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what other hobbies do you have, that you can focus your time on instead of pmo-ing?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Spike, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Spike

Spike Fapstronaut

my two 5 day streaks showed me that pmo is such a time sink and gets in the way of so many other things that i love doing-

1.) guitar playing. instead of gripping myself, pick up the stratocaster and rock out.
    2.) yoga. this seems to really help with my back problems, and i am also starting to explore the spiritual side of yoga. one thing to be careful- fit ladies in yoga attire can also be a trigger.
    3.) work. i love graphic design, and am blessed to be able to work in a career where i am excited to go to work everyday.
    4.) reading. there are so many books that i would like to read, and i've only got about 40-50 years left to read them all.
    5.) working on/driving old cars. i own an old mgb that i have managed to get back to being roadworthy. working on it is a sort of meditation, and driving it is pure bliss.
    6.) running. i went from being a pack and half a day smoker who drank too much a decade ago to running my first 5k this summer. my goal for next summer is a 10k.

wow, actually writing this all out makes me realize that i seem to have an awesome life. kind of makes me feel good to see it in print :D

2. 1dayasalion

1dayasalion Fapstronaut

Man, I need some hobbies. Video games and binge-watching television are not going to support my goals! I just started working out again (doing insanity), which is a great habit to develop. I've always wanted to start taking Muay Thai and learning to cook. It's tough for me because I'm active duty Army so I work a lot and I live in the barracks which doesn't give me any opportunities to cook, and it's a decent drive from anywhere. Maybe I will take up reading like you, I've been meaning to start reading classic works.

3. aristotling

aristotling Fapstronaut

I'm teaching myself Chinese, which is a great mental workout and an effective distraction from temptation. I think my increased energy and confidence from nofap has helped my language learning too.

I also want to take up guitar again. In the past I played piano and guitar but gave up on both due to lack of motivation (and now come to think of it, I wonder if pmo wasn't a reason for that).

4. There are some cool hobbies posted here. I guess it comes down to following your passions and working on yourself.

Here's what I fill my time with:

1. Making music- I write and record music in my free time
    2. Writing- I write literature, currently working on a story
    3. Making food- I've been cooking for myself all the time now, it's awesome
    4. Snowboarding- Never tried it before, it's snowing here now so what the hell
    5. Drawing/visual art- I've always sketched, I'm trying out 3D modeling now, with the hope of doing that as a job
    6. Reading- as much as possible, finished so many books since I started reading seriously for the first time in my life back in June (6 months into Nofap), all genres

I want to make video games as a job, but I just started to notice how much less I want to play when I'm rebooting. Perhaps it's just part of withdrawals or something. (I'm not a big MMORPG or online FPS gamer, mostly just 1-player RPGS like Skyrim.)

5. Ens2010

Ens2010 Fapstronaut

One of my favorite hobbies is moderately uncommon, but amazingly fun. It also holds a lot of value for stimulating your brain, as well as increasing your writing skills. It is Text Based RP. For those not familiar with it, Text Based RP is more or less writing a narrative story with others. You create one or more characters who interact with other 'players' characters in fictional worlds. If you enjoy reading, writing, or generally have a good imagination, this could be fun.

Someone creates this world, giving the setting, as well as basic plot or background to the world to the point of the characters entering the story, and other players can populate it with their characters. These characters are often built off pieces of yourself, and resemble part, if not all, of you. From there, they can meet, go on an epic adventure, solve a crazy mystery, or anything you can imagine up.

6. dajota

dajota Fapstronaut

Learning programming! Photography! Fooooooood glorious food!! :)

7. Brandon2001

Brandon2001 Fapstronaut

soccer here.....thats what i do alot

8. popotamous

popotamous Fapstronaut

I like to read, learn more Spanish or French, as well as jog or rock climb. I'm hoping to use those to keep my mind occupied. : )

9. wyocal

wyocal Guest

I like to run. I do much better on the days when I get up at 6 and hit the trail. I run as the sun is coming up over the mountains, and it is invigorating. Because I have already done a healthy and positive thing that day, I naturally want to continue throughout the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  10. catholic100

catholic100 Fapstronaut

For me there are 2 activities:
    - running (but exact statement should be Preparing for a Run Competition; when there is a cloudy day I do the power exercises in my room with loud music on)
    - playing on the keyboard (I started to do it, but I found that it's very absorbing and joyfull)

11. john13

john13 Fapstronaut

A couple of mine-
    Woodworking,I have to totally focus on what I'm doing or I'll be picking my fingers up off the floor. Still have all ten!
    Hiking I can get out away from everything and get my mind cleared out.

12. Jason2

Jason2 Guest

I play guitar, I sing, and I write novels. And I have lots of sex with my wife.

13. Willdabeast

Willdabeast Fapstronaut

I'm working on learning sound synthesis.
    I like to write music as well.
    And working out which I should go do soon.

14. iliander

iliander Fapstronaut

bodyweight training

and i play chess

15. Hey, you play chess too? Are you a professional player?

16. iliander

iliander Fapstronaut

no, i'm not a professional chess player. actually i still follow lessons in a club.

so you play chess too?

17. matø

matø Fapstronaut

Read about architecture/study architecture... Play and write Music. Listen to music without any distractions. Watch a movie that I love, like Blade Runner. I've seen that about 30 times!

Go for a walk, Call friends.. Cook something new.

Ens2010 - Sounds like a fun writing game:)

18. Mine are:

- cooking and baking;
    - biking;
    - calisthenics (body weight training);
    - reading;
    - weaving bracelets;
    - learning languages (right now I am studying Zulu).

19. iliander

iliander Fapstronaut

nice man :D

20. Yes, it was one of my childhood hobbies, now I started everything from the beginning after I got my ass kicked by a novice level computer opponent. :D