1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't recognise my purpose in life

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Sandsii, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Sandsii

Sandsii Fapstronaut

I'm 22 and have no idea what I want to be when i'm older. I have dreams, ambition, drive but my problem is it changes every single day. One day I can wake up and want to do X for a career, get super motivated/excited and then the following day I get this de-motivated flat feeling and I come crashing back down to reality... and then decide I want to do something else. Rinse and repeat.

I wish I was one of these guys that had their life figured out from an early age, they knew what they wanted, focused only on that, worked towards it and got it. My problem is i'm so indecisive, i get bored easily and my dreams and aspirations are always changing.

My parents think i'm lazy, that I don't want to find a proper job or put in the work to make it on my own but that is not the case, in fact the complete opposite. I lay awake every god damn night envisioning myself making it, being great, making money, having peace of mind...then I wake up and that image has gone and its back to my same old life.

How do I find what I am destined to do in life and stick to it? How do I find what i'm passionate about, what I am good at? I've tried thinking long and hard and just cannot connect the dots. And how do I maintain the motivation/commitment/passion all the way until I make it?

Onwards_Upwards:) and Bemybest like this.
  2. Sandsii

Sandsii Fapstronaut

The thing is once I start doing something I get bored, un-motivated and want to quit and do something else. Not because its too hard or whatever but because I lose passion/interest. I find it too hard to stick to something as there's so many different things I want to do

3. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Sounds familiar. I have adhd, maybe you do too.

I guess make a list, sort them in order of priority, ask yourself how long you are willing to put towards them in theory, then just do them in practice. You might find enjoyment in the doing and stay a while, or you might hate it and move on to the next thing.

What do you enjoy doing normally, aside from work?

Purpose and career can often seem conflicting and impossible to reconcile, i can relate. To follow your heart is a wonderful thing, but your mind tells you 'Hey, dumbass, you'll never make any money doing that. Get a job.' but maybe that is just a basic form of self sabotage, fear of unknowns and so on.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

People believe that all you have to do is find the thing — that one bloody thing! — that you are “meant” to do, and suddenly, everything will click into place. You’ll do it until the day you die and always feel fulfilled and happy and prance with unicorns and rainbows while making a million dollars in your pajamas.

Finding the passion and purpose in your life is a trial-by-fire process. You don’t simply wake up one day and become happy doing one thing forever and ever. It’s a constant work-in-progress. You must try something, pay attention to how it feels, adjust and then try again. Nobody gets it right on the first try, or the tenth or sometimes even the two-hundredth.

You're in love with the result rather than with the process. You get bored with something once the daily process of reality destroys your fantasy.

Moatasem, JonB, Sandsii and 2 others like this.
  5. just keep trying things and reflect on your path so far. think of the things which pique your interest, bring you joy,things you have a natural aptitude for etc. even your observation that you get bored easily is perhaps telling you something. maybe you need a job that stimulates and constantly challenges you.

maybe get some career counselling, read some books on career exploration etc
    try not to stress thinking you have to choose that one and only ‘right’ thing.

Sandsii likes this.
  6. First: Quit free sources of dopamine, those will make everything feel boring. And try something new for a while until you want to quit, there is no problem in that.

Sandsii and Deleted Account like this.
  7. Try new things. Find something you really care about. If you quit, you've still learned that that thing is not the most interesting to you and gained experience.

Focus on the path instead of the destination.
    You're still extremely young! You don't have to find "da way" anytime soon, try to enjoy life as it is anyway!

You don't have to get it right the first time. Decide on something - anything - and if at some point you want to do something else, do that instead!

Sandsii likes this.