1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

(Potential) First Relationship - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Alyosha, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

About a year ago I met a girl while hanging out with some people. We talked a bit, and I ended up adding her on Facebook. I considered asking her out, but thought she was out of my league so didn't.

Now, a couple weeks ago I got a random fb message from her asking if I would "ever want to hang out sometime." This was a shock since we literally hadn't interacted at all for the past year.

So first I joined her and her friends to go bowling on a Friday. But we still wanted to actually go on a date (though she keeps referring to it as "hanging out.") Last weekend we went on a date. Got coffee, saw a movie, and talked in the car for a couple hours. Pretty good.

What I need advice about is how I should act going forward? I've gone on a decent number of dates in the past, but never actually been in a relationship (I'm 24.) And I really don't want to screw this up if I really have a chance here (which, it's looking pretty good.)

We've texted back and forth this past week about random stuff. I'm trying not to text her EVERY day so I don't look needy / overeager. Haven't planned another date yet. So I'm wondering, when should I suggest another date? It hasn't even been a week since our last one, so I might wait a bit.

How does the pacing usually work with these things? Obviously you don't just go on a date and suddenly decide to go steady. So how do I go from where we are now, to eventually be in a relationship? How does that conversation go?

And if we end up in a relationship, what's expected of me? Like, do we just hang out all the time? These seem like dumb questions, but having only been on the outside looking in, I don't know what it's like being in one. So what sort of things should I know, watch out for, etc.?

TC10 likes this.
  2. Bro you're overthinking this to a fault. Key thing in ALL of your post was this.

That is like LEVEL 1000 female interest my friend, you couldn't even dream up a better scenario. She didn't just "Out of the blue" ask you man, she's been crushing hard on you for awhile now. Girl's just don't go for it like that 9 times out of 10 unless they are seriously interested.

The ONLY thing that could possibly give me pause in this situation is if she just got out of a relationship. If she did, she's probably looking to occupy her time and meet people. Anyways, if its been a week for you to ask her to "hang out" (Use HER language!)

You're late

TC10 likes this.
  3. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Am familiar with the general sentiment! When I started dating my girlfriend and she became the first person with whom I had gone out more than three times I started asking most of the same questions. Best advice I got? Breathe.
    When she's looking at you, or flashing her teeth as she laughs - keep breathing. When she's talking, listen. When she slips her hand into yours, keep breathing. And if she kisses you, don't stop breathing! Do everything you can to pull yourself back into the moment with her and enjoy it, because dating really is enjoyable.
    What's with people and the waiting BS? Dude, you had fun, you are interested, go for it! Saying, "Hey I really had fun having coffee with you, want to go for a walk downtown?" is not needy, it expresses that you enjoyed spending time with her and that you're interested in doing to again.

Needy is like, "My mom doesn't love me and I need you to s*ck my d*ck" - and if that's the nature of your texts: Dude, WTF?! Don't be that guy!
    How about right now? No, seriously, stop reading this post and text her if she wants to go for a walk somewhere and get hot chocolate. Right meow!
    Dude...you're waaaay ahead of yourself. Dating is fun! Take a breath, enjoy what is happening in this moment, and when you do get there, this is a conversation to have with her - no one on the internet can dictate that for you two.

4. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

Thanks for the insight guys! A lot of this is stuff I already knew, but it's really easy to doubt yourself when you're actually in the situation.

Also, she couldn't have picked a weirder time to start talking to me - I graduated from college in May, had a 3 month internship in DC, came home to Michigan a month ago, and am now unemployed looking for my first real job. Plus I'm in the process of changing my strategy against PMO. So... not great for self-confidence. But if she sticks with me till I get to a more stable position it could all work out great.

5. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

So the week since our date was pretty good. I know I'm still way overthinking it though. Right after our date I got her actual number (we'd been using fb messenger.) Then on Monday she started texting me and then actually called me. (She'd had a long crazy day and wanted to talk about it.) Though after talking for a bit I had to stop because I was with my family at a restaurant. (So I was awkwardly talking on the phone at the table.)

I probably should have called her back right after, but I'd already made plans to join my friends at the bar. So I hung out with them for a couple hours and when I got home I started texting her again, and said she could call me if she wants, and she said (flirtingly) "you snooze you lose." But we ended up texting off and on for the next hour.

Friday I asked if she wanted to get coffee on the weekend and she said yes, but could only do Sunday night. So we went to a coffee shop at 7 last night, but didn't realize the place closes at 8. So we ended up just sitting in her car for another hour after that talking. Apparently she'd left a family dinner before dessert to make it there on time. So I guess I'm more important than ice cream cake at least.

It's really hard to figure out where she's at with this thing. We still haven't acknowledge openly that we're interested in each other (though it's pretty obvious.) And that feels pretty weird when we're talking. It's like the elephant in the room. At one point we naturally came to the topic of Valentine's day, and she said she doesn't know what she's doing for it. I know this was a hint, but I didn't really respond, because I already plan on asking her on a second date for Valentine's day, but that's till a good number of weeks off. So it seems weird to plan so far in advance.

I'm just conflicted about the pacing of this. I don't want to go too fast or too slow. I try not to text her every day, and am waiting for her to text first now. And I feel weird about suggesting we hang out again this coming weekend. I'm actually going to a showing at a local theater of Groundhog Day on Friday, but only a couple of my friends and my parents are going to that, and it feels weird to introduce her to my parents too soon.

My worst fear is I'm going to take this too cautious and slow, and she'll just get fed up and forget about the whole thing. OR I text her every day and look way too interested. Difficult balance.

TC10 and sknnyjns like this.
  6. Quality

Quality Fapstronaut

Now this is gonna sound pretty weird considering I haven’t even graduated high school and I’m giving advice to you but id say to not be too needy but most girls do like when you text first. If she said she doesn’t know what she’s doing for Valentine’s Day that’s a huge red flag saying “ASK ME OUT!” Id say go on a few more dates or meet ups whatever you call it and get closer to her and understand her more. Then ask her on a good date for Valentine’s Day. Something interesting like a sunset or something energetic. No dinner or something although I guess you could get dinner as well but preference. Just get to know her more and be really kind. Girls love when someone listens to them. #1 thing. Wish you good luck bro

7. sknnyjns

sknnyjns Fapstronaut

Hey man! Super nice, i can't even begin to imagine how excited you feel at the moment. First love is something special. For the pace question: I wouldn't wait too long with expressing what you feel for her. As for how fast the relationship should go, that is up to you (and her) and your situation. Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going!

TC10 likes this.
  8. After reading your follow up post I can only come to one conclusion... You should just give me her number because you are completely oblivious to how "INTO YOU" this girl is.

Man up and ask her on a real date.

9. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

We went on a real date! I just don't know how long till I ask her on the second one. Should we be seeing each other every week? We got together for coffee a week after the first date. If we don't do something this weekend I feel like it'd be too long not seeing each other, but I also don't want to suggest something EVERY weekend. Plus, at the beginning she was texting me a bunch, but for the past week or so it's always me texting first.

10. FapFapFapNoMore

FapFapFapNoMore Fapstronaut

GO TO YOUTUBE, SEARCH "TRIPP ADVICE", listen, take notes. IT works. Period. If you consider yourself "Out of your league", you're only shooting yourself on the foot. There is no such thing is out of your league! Everygirl is your league. You just need CONFIDENCE. Women love confidence. For the path to self-improvement, I would recommend reading some PUA material like Richard La Ruina...but even TRIPP advice is really good! Practice, practice, practice....Good luck to you man.

11. sknnyjns

sknnyjns Fapstronaut

Definitely set something up this weekend and try to seal the deal. Like i said you don't want to wait too long with expressing your feelings for her, and maybe kissing is a good idea as well this weekend if you didn't do that already. The texting, maybe she has a busy week, maybe she is loosing interest, maybe she wants you to take more initiative. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter just do it this weekend, she is into. Good luck!

12. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

Well the texting is weird. Because at first she was texting all the time. Then about the middle of last week, she stopped. Like, if I texted her she'd respond. But it wouldn't go on very long. I thought she must be losing interest, but when I asked her to coffee she was totally down for it, and seeing her in person she didn't seem any less interested. Now I'm agonizing, because I don't want to keep texting her first. So I'm going today without texting her at all, and basically see how long till she texts.

But perhaps you're right. I probably should set something up this weekend. I dunno what though. For our second actual date I'm thinking we'll go to the art museum (she said she likes it there and there's a cool exhibit too.) But I dunno if it's too short notice to ask her about that for this weekend. Maybe something small, then NEXT week suggest that?

13. TC10

TC10 Fapstronaut

Just ask her for this weekend. And be honest about your feelings. As far as I can see from your messages she really likes you. And that texting means nothing. She just wants to see you in real life.

14. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I am female and a bit older so I have been in the dating game for awhile. You are way overthinking this, do you have anxiety in general about things? I can see you want to take it cautiously because you are afraid you will screw it up, and truly what you are doing is trying to protect yourself from being hurt, that’s a natural instinct we all have it. But the reality is that you have to be willing to take a risk to fall in love, and that means being in a space where you are uncertain, and that space is very uncomfortable for all of us, especially people who worry and are anxious. The truth is what is going to happen is going to happen. Unless you are a complete jerk, if she is going to like you she will,if she won’t she won’t very little of this is within your control. After all you are you, so attempting to be something you are not or behaving in a different way may get you the girl, but it won’t keep her. If you are not certain where things are going just ask her. I would also find it VERY annoying if I called someone and they were free and did not call me back. Sure you do not want to seem needy but there needs to be a balance. Just have fun with things and stop worrying so much with what will happen in the end.

FapFapFapNoMore likes this.
  15. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

I'm probably full of shit, but the first thing that came to my mind was money. If you're in the U.S. and have a job it's tax time. I have heard stories of that happening to people. With that said I doubt/hope that is not the case but just keep it in mind if she starts talking money it could be a red flag.