1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't believe what I've just seen.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ub3rT1m3, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

I was just on the bus on the way home and as I was getting off I saw this terribly disfigured woman. I'm not kidding, her face looked like the Elephant Man's. You couldn't help but react and be shocked by it.

I mentioned it to my friend and they said they'd never be able to leave the house if they were like that.

I've seen documentaries and stuff before but seeing it in person... It'll really help you gain a whole lot of perspective. I moan about my haircut and how my face looks ugly from the side for fucks sake... Imagine what she deals with on a day to day basis. And yet she still has the courage to go out in public and get on with it.

Everytime I ever think about complaining about my appearance from now on, I will remember this woman. That's for sure.

2. And she has probably boyfreind.

Piotr2000 likes this.
  3. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Just because she looks a certain way, that doesn’t mean the simple act of leaving her house makes her courageous.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I don't think they'd happy about leaving their house, do you? Not just physically but mentally they must be in pain, and to actually go out into public and confront that pain that is courage.

6. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

Like, you're entitled to your opinion and stuff... But I think your opinion is garbage

7. While I view and treat disabled people equally, I don't have that gut reaction like everyone seems to have. Society and just humanity itself treats them like outsiders or freaks because they're different, not everyone is like that but I know they don't get treated fairly. In a world where looks and beauty mean everything I can't imagine how hard it would be for them, and pushing past fear and pain is the literal definition of courage... Most people who even lose their arm don't even want to go out and nor would I, so imagine being burned or something.

Knighthawk and Tony Greenshrine like this.
  8. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Same to you, pal.

9. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

You’re just assuming that going out in public is a painful experience for everyone who doesn’t look “normal” ...I don’t think that applies to everyone.

10. Not all them no, but I'm pretty sure most of them aren't happy go lucky about it... Especially when It comes to disfigurement of say the face.

Tony Greenshrine likes this.
  11. Tony Greenshrine

Tony Greenshrine Fapstronaut

And the scar on my eyebrow has me in a hissy fit.

Wtf is wrong with me?!

Why am I so vain!!

tweeby likes this.
  12. Tony Greenshrine

What dude? Why even go there?

13. Tony Greenshrine

How do you know leaving her house is a simple act firstly? What if she does not live in a house she calls her own let alone a house?

Secondly I dare not even begin to make judgments nor assumptions about what she has to deal with for the rest of her life from the sound of it.

14. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

What other imaginary scenarios can you come up with? :p

15. I agree. I feel the same when some asshole calls someone a hero for having down syndrome. These people issues to deal with and are simply doing what they have to do in life just like the rest of us. I respect the fact that it must be difficult to deal with to deal with a physical defect but I'm not going to sit there and patronize them. "oooh, what a brave woman!" That kind of shit makes me want to vomit.

Poseidon likes this.
  16. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Amen to that!

17. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

Haha

18. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

The example you have given there is completely different, and you're missing the point. This woman had tumours growing in her face...tumours I highly doubt she was born with and must have developed over time. Do you not think that would take its toll on a person psychologically?

Also, did you watch the other video I posted about the burn victim?

If you think that's easy for a person to deal with and it doesn't take courage and bravery to overcome it and walk around in public, then you're completely without a clue.

I just hope nothing like this happens to you. But then again if it did maybe you'd learn a bit about compassion and empathy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Deleted Account likes this.
  19. There's a woman here that was in a traffic collision a while back, and she ended up having half her face paralysed as well as scars all over her from glass. You could tell she never wanted to be out and I don't blame her, people do stare and judge which is the unfortunate nature of humans. It's bad enough for me having a mental disability and I can't imagine what they go through, I don't think I'd ever be able to go out like they manage to.

I always find it funny when people get all upset and hung up about this stuff, nobody is saying to do cartwheels or parades for disabled people, it's just a little thing called empathy that most people don't seem to have.

Gmork likes this.
  20. Avias

Avias Fapstronaut

She must be a master of fighting social anxiety

Ub3rT1m3 likes this.