1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Single and being been told "Don't worry, you'll meet someone" or "I'll set you up"

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Ub3rT1m3, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

I've encountered this quite a bit, because well I've always been single. And now I'm in my 30s I envisage that this is only going to get worse and there will be more and more comments along these lines. Now I'm sure these people probably mean well...but to me it only ever comes across as condescending and only succeeds at making me feel small, weak and emasculated. Naturally I don't want to be made to feel this way.

What is a good thing to say to these types without coming across too defensive or confrontational? Basically, something that suggests they should mind their own bloody business and not make assumptions that I even want to be in a relationship...but handled with much more class and dignity.

2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

The fact that you take it personally and you react negatively towards it is the same reason why you're afraid of rejection. You care too much about what other people think. You surrender your self worth to the opinions of others. It's too big of a deal to you.

If you're actually not being defensive about it, then you would respond in a carefree manner. Something like "oh, thanks".

The problem isn't what they're saying to you. The problem is that you react towards it negatively. It triggers your insecurities.

3. StartledKiwi

StartledKiwi Fapstronaut

But do you want to be in a relationship?

Because I used to feel the same way. "I don't really need to be in a relationship, I don't have time, It's too much effort". But deep inside I really want to experience the connection and intimacy you get from being in one.

The world is not what you think it is.
    Life is not what happens inside our heads.

Don't mind these people. Let them talk, let them set you up, what do you have to lose, time, effort? That's fear luring you back to your comfort zone, to PMO.

DE.HK likes this.
  4. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

Just let them know youre fine being single.

Kenzi and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts. You are completely right, I do have low self-esteem and these comments make me feel insecure. Whilst I work on building self worth I have to change the way I react to things like this in the meantime. Saying nothing at all would probably be the better option here, shrugging it off and just going about my business.

I actually do and you know I did reluctantly say "okay then" once or twice when my friend suggested it before. But then I found out the girl they intended to set me up with had gone back to her ex-boyfriend. Then after that I got "aw never mind, we'll keep looking" only to never hear anything again. That just compounded the whole experience for me and made me feel even more pitiful. After that...never again.

6. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

I think that whole setup scenario is doomed to fail anyway at least for me. My understanding is that girls are attracted to confidence, self worth (which we've already established I'm lacking) and a man that goes out and gets what he wants.

So I fall short in all those categories currently. Until I work on these things I'm not fit to be in a relationship so that is my next goal along with my reboot.

FormerFapaholic and StartledKiwi like this.
  7. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

No problem.

This situation probably adds to your fear of approaching women as well.

You can't control life outcomes or other people, but you can take responsibility for how you perceive and react towards them. Deep down you know these people don't mean you any harm. At worst there could be a little teasing involved. The best thing you can do whether or not you have healthy self esteem is to react in a fun, carefree, and unreactive manner. Not only does that show them that you don't mind being single without having to tell them... it also stops them at their tracks when they see they can't get a negative reaction from you. A positive reaction like that can also sub communicate that you don't have problems with dating. It's the way you would act if you actually had a partner.

This also gives you necessary pressure to change your life. Not really about having a partner to prove something to others, but more so growing your self esteem and being able to react to things in a different way.

This is why attaching your self worth to specific outcomes isn't the best idea. Because if for whatever reason things don't workout then your self worth is completely gone. Do things and behave in a manner that makes you proud of yourself even if it's not the outcome you wanted.

8. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

I say I march at the own beat of my drum lol it's a polite way to say idgaf I'm doing my own thing

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  9. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Saying things like I'm not fit for relationships I don't think are really conducive I realize negativity is pretty much useless I'm working on that but I've been finding other things than women to give myself self worth like cooking working out reading and strengthening my faith women know you are not perfect and you are human so you are worthy of a relationship but you want focus on other things that will ultimately help present yourself as the best version of yourself but realize life just happens and there no timelines so just be open if the opportunity arises and you feel having a relationship would be an addition rather than a burden to your life

10. DE.HK

DE.HK Fapstronaut

Hey brother, I have the same problem. When my friends bring their partners or I am in a family gathering, people couldn't stop landing their eyes on me being single. I have been single ever since but not a virgin. I found it difficult to get along with girls (well with people sometimes) because I am afraid of intimacy. Whenever people get too close or I sense that they rely on me I feel panic. I couldn't help having a panic attack that I need to escape. I have no clue why it happens. Probably your case is different but one thing is that being single is not wrong. You can enjoy the freedom to pursue your dream freely. Next time when your friends tease you about being single, show your empathy for them being traped! Pros and Cons, don't overreact!

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I’m a woman and I got this for years! It was horrible. But women get the old added “you know your eggs are getting old when are you going to find a man?” After awhile it does wear on you high or low self esteem it does not matter. If you have a really good friend who wants to set you up that sometimes works because they kmow you well. But if you are looking to date I say go on dates with anyone that you can, don’t turn down set ups, it’s good dating practice. And my response as to why I was still single was “i just have not met the right person yet.” You need offer no more information. And know that for the most part people that say this to you do it out of care and concern for you. They are usually in relationships and know how it feels to be happy in one. They want that for you. That’s all.

Kenzi, DE.HK and Mike Bonanno like this.
  12. me too. i am 26 and a girl. had relationships but always felt on my own. then i started loving myself and now it is fine. i didn't try to get into another relationship to make me happy. then i see people in unhappy relationships or in love with people that don't feel the same or use them and I feel good that I am single. when i meet a guy worthy of my time, i will date him but don't wanna waste time and suffer. now being single doesn't hurt or doesn't bother me. i feel actually better about being single than dating or being in love with someone that will never love me back

Colin the Librarian likes this.
  13. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I was single for most of my life as well. I had a few long term relationships but never married or engaged. Once you are comfortable with being alone you will make a much better partner to someone else and be willing to accept only the best for yourself. If you are not you tend to accept whatever comes at you.
    The only thing I would caution and again you are still young but need to consider if you want kids and family you need to start looking sooner rather than later. I never wanted kids but now at age 40 I have lots of female friends who were happily single for their 20s and started dating to marry in their late 30s and now they are rushing to find a partner while their fertility is slipping away. It could take some time to meet a mate so this is something to consider. Men as well. They think they can procreate forever and while that’s true for most they also have infertility problems as they age, a risk of birth defects and then of course chasing wrong a 2 year old at 50 years old. There has been a huge increase in womb shoppers too. Men on online dating sites looking for women in child bearing years but they are 50. They struggle to meet a woman who can bear kids who is interested in them.

When I was 28 I thought I had all the time in the world but boy it goes by fast!

Colin the Librarian likes this.
  14. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I tell people I haven't met anyone I wanna date, yet. I can't say anything about being set up since it hasn't happened to me much.

GG2002 likes this.
  15. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Because no one can truly know you, no one can truly approve or disapprove of you.

Only you can do that.

So if you want to be single, then be single. If you want a relationship, then work towards that.

Be confident in where you've been, where you are, and what you currently lack, but are working towards.

Focus on doing what you want. If you're serious about your life / desires / intentions / progress, then the opinions of others won't be able to overpower or bother you.

They don't really know who you are on a deeper level.

Only you can validate yourself.

Other people can be a sort of mirror to your own life. How you choose to perceive and react towards external things / events / people can tell you a lot about what's going on within you and what things you need to confront.

kayesem likes this.
  16. JonB

JonB Fapstronaut

I'm in my mid 20's and I've heard this. There are only two responses you need here:
    "You'll meet someone" → "Yup" → Because of course you will and it's your choice whether and how you want to engage with the people you meet
    "I'll set you up" → "Look, a steak brought in on a silver platter might be tasty but it can't compare to the thrill of hunting."