1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Acknowledgment, Gratitude and healing

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by RecoveringLion, Feb 8, 2018.

1. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

I had an important realization today. Many of you have experienced what its like to almost “fall out of love” with your S/O when you are addicted to PMO or Psubs. As you heal you may often realize that you reduced her to nothing but a sex object then compared her to women who’s primary objective in life to make themselves as sexually alluring and desirable as humanly possible (through natural and unnatural means).

So how do we reprogram our minds to appreciate our S/O’s and have eyes just for her? Well there is one obvious answer, the reboot. Thats why you are here, but there is another important realization. Acknowledgement and Gratitude.

When you see beautiful women, acknowledge that they are in fact beautifully and wonderfully made. Then realize and remind yourself that THEY ARE NOT FOR YOU. They are for someone else, and for you to take from them (even without them knowing it by lusting, fantasizing or jacking off to them), you are stepping out of line and contributing to the already self evident darkness and and selfishness in our world. When you acknowledge their beauty, and move on, the power their appearance once had over you starts to fade.

Next is gratitude. Choose to be thankful for your S/O. Remind yourself that yeah, there are lots of beautiful women in the world, but you have the best out of all of them. If you cant bring yourself to feel that way about her in any way, then you need to ask yourself why you are with her. Chances are if she is aware of your problem and standing with you anyway, and being supportive and gracious most of the time, then you seriously need to check yourself and grow the hell up.

So to recap, everywhere you go in life, you are going to encounter beautiful women. Acknowledge their beauty and give thanks for what you have. If its clear that women is intentionally crafting her appearance to be sexually appealing, chances are she is looking for validation that only God alone can give her, so pray that he helps her find it, and then move on with your life. Most of us just need a healthier and better framework for dealing with the world, hiding from it never helps.

2. SpouseofPA

SpouseofPA Fapstronaut

3. DecisionPoint

DecisionPoint Fapstronaut

I opened the site today right to this message, just as I’m coming to my own harsh realizations. You see, I left my wife of 17 years for another woman, a woman that so attracted me not just with her appearance but her faith and her heart. But now that my P addiction has reared it’s head in my new relationship and I’m coming to terms with this addiction, I am questioning my decision. Did I leave my marriage because of my PMO addiction? Please, if you’re reading this, don’t try to answer my question. I am just acknowledging that I have come to a new place in my journey that I hadn’t expected. The truth still is that I was never in love with my wife and there was never much physical attraction. There was a level of friendly intimacy but that was about it. She struggled with a food addiction and gained over 150lbs after our children’s birth. I have used this to justify my development of the addiction to PMO, but looking back even further I see I had a lust issue prior to my marriage. I am much happier emotionally and sexually in my new relationship and our shared faith, I believe, has led me to the healing path I am now on. But I can’t stop wondering if, had I stayed away from PMO during my marriage, if things would have been different.

My marriage was quite platonic, business like and lacking in emotion or sexual attraction. Has anyone felt that this state is conducive to seeking out P for what’s missing in their relationship? I don’t want to blame because I know it is ultimately me; I’m the one who sought it and got hooked. But on the other hand, had our intimacy been right, I suppose I would have been more satisfied.

RecoveringLion and Trappist like this.
  4. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

Please tell me if I'm overstepping. I will delete if so.

Have you ever wondered if perhaps your first wife sought solace in food because your attention was in PMO and not in your marriage? I realize that could be a very simplistic answer to something that I'm sure is very complex, but I was just throwing that out there as food for thought.

GG2002 likes this.
  5. RecoveringLion

If nothing else, this is a good realization and question to ask yourself. So props for having the boldness to ask it. I can say that in my devolving addiction to Psubs then eventually full blown P, my wife could tell intuitively that I wasn’t valuing her. She didn’t know why she felt that way and I was pretty good at doing the right things but she felt me distancing, and as a coping mechanism began to distance from me. This lead to a pretty severe drop in intamacy and our marriage went from being lovers to room mates.

Women are more likely to work hard to please their husbands in every way when they feel cherished, valued and desired. I’m also a firm believer that a man has no business judging his wife’s appearance if he isn’t stay fit himself.

Just something to consider.

6. DecisionPoint

Cherished, valued and desired. Therein lies my problem as I can’t ascribe those feelings to my first marriage, as much as I dearly wanted to. That left room for problems and PMO was a futile attempt to fill the void. I still hurt deeply over the inability to connect with her, to find meaningful emotional intimacy. Many men scoff at a man’s need for that but I will unashamedly proclaim it.

7. DecisionPoint

Thank you for offering this. My instinct is that I signed up for something I couldn’t do and we both suffered for it. I think my distance worsened her food issue and the emotional distance left us both reeling and engaging in our drug of choice. But it’s not as if we had ever connected. There were attempts on both sides but we didn’t speak the same language. I’m an emotional, conversational and touch type and she’s an “acts of kindess” person for those who have read “The Five Love Languages”. On top of that I just never really found her very desirable- I knew that upfront and rationalized that it wasn’t very important in the whole scheme of things. Maybe I was right but ultimately I strayed to online chat rooms and PMO so I guess my grandiose ideas wrote checks I couldn’t cash.

8. CowardlyLion

CowardlyLion Fapstronaut

@RecoveringLion i have to say all of the posts I read by you are just a wonderful source of information, perspective, and thought processes. From one Lion to another, thanks for your continued devotion to bettering yourself and helping the addicts around you who struggle as well.

RecoveringLion likes this.
  9. RecoveringLion

Thank you sir. Means a lot.