1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you manage to take cold showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Huh? Are you okay mate? You do know people are able to value their lives right? I for one would love to live a thousand years with my SO instead of something shorter, and that has nothing to do with me not doing "useful" things in my life.

People have this weird thing or obsession about welcoming death or being okay with the idea of dying, it doesn't matter if I had the best 10 years of my life and had everything I wanted, I'd want another billion more. But since you know me so well please do explain what I should be doing with it?

2. HashMachine

HashMachine Fapstronaut

I feel Cold showers make your senses more accurate and brings them back to the current moment. You create a resistance at very basic level for your brain, just like pushing yourself away from PMO everyday. You try to abstain from cold showers everyday but if you overcome this mental barrier, I believe you would have higher chances to say goodbye to those urges and your streak would increase from your original best.
    Not only that, you feel more energetic since all the blood in your body gushes to keep your body warm and thereby increasing blood flow keeping you healthy rather than appearing pale cold-blooded creature fapping in front of PC.

And @Sarah Walker I don't understand how did your chest feel more tight in case you'd have cold shower. I go to gym everyday in the morning and take cold showers after it, but I never felt those"muscle tightening" effect in me. What would you say about that?

3. That is a very pessimistic outlook...not tonsay it isnt true for a lot of people. We have given people longer lives and more opportunities to enjoy life, but also forming a social stigma and format that can restrict these opportunities. We have to be stronger in taking initiative and preventing ourselfa from getting locked into roles we dont enjoy

4. Maybe because you're used to it? How would I know mate I'm not you. My chest tightens when the cold water touches my body, and that only makes my anxiety worse.

HashMachine likes this.
  5. Cel mai drept ideal

Cel mai drept ideal Fapstronaut

Ufff, people get so easily offended nowadays... When did I claim that I know you or your life so well? I just assumed, just as well as you can assume things about my life. Yes, I can say I haven't done much in my life (yet) and I'm pretty ashamed of myself for that actually. I was expressing my point of view, I didn't force it down your throat. But please tell me, how would living a billion years make you any more happy? Wouldn't you get bored of doing the same things all over and over again? And that thing with "welcoming death", no, I'm not welcoming death, I'm just okay with the idea. It will come no matter how much we wish it won't, so why not get used to the idea, and live in peace without the fear of death?
    But anyway, it is of no use arguing. We have two totally different visions upon life, and we're not likely to change each other's. So let's just leave that. I wish you all the best.

6. Oh, I still meant my chest area though. It's all good mate.

HashMachine likes this.
  7. Nah I'm not offended, it just came off as nonsense is all. Because seriously, what does "I can guess that you haven't done many useful things in these 26 years" even mean?

Does there always need to be a need for more and more happiness? Or something you need to constantly strive for? There's nothing wrong with goals and working towards things but I'd like to settle down sometime and do whatever I wanted to do, something I could if I had money that is. So yes even if it was literally a billion more years I would be happy and content with my SO.

But as you said your view is different so I'll leave mine at that.

8. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

No shit Sherlock.

9. houndie

houndie Fapstronaut

Er, so...
    On the original topic:
    I read on NoFap that cold showers were supposed to be so good, so I tried. 5min showers (you get used after the 1st min). I got a cold after the third or fourth day.

I discovered that doesn't happen is if I just douse myself with hot (or lukewarm) water afterwards. Just to get the warmth back in my body. The goal isn't to freeze yourself, the goal is to overcome that fear of shocking yourself. It's a temporary discomfort, but the act of willfully putting the shower on the coldest setting and turning it on while you're under there - that's something. It's willpower-exercise. And if you douse yourself with warm water afterwards, you won't harm yourself in the process. I live in Estonia, right now we have -25 degrees celsius outside. It's cold. And the cold showers aren't harming me. So that's one reason.

Secondly, you'll feel rejuvenated, like jumping into the snow after a good sauna session. A good cold shower feels like the refreshment I always expect from a cigarette, but never get. I'll expect to feel differently and I won't - after a smoke I'll feel pretty much the same, only smellier. A cold shower will leave me feeling different.

thirdly, there are loads of health benefits. Scientific, lots of studies backing it. Some people begin with that. For me, that's the third main reason.

10. rungariz

rungariz New Fapstronaut

I live in Russia and I am doing cold showers everyday. I've noticed that I can tolerate cold weather better now. Got aloof attitude towards cold kind of. It's about -15C (5F) now

Cel mai drept ideal likes this.
  11. Cel mai drept ideal

Cel mai drept ideal Fapstronaut

Just a couple of posts ago you were acting as if what you said was a "fact", and now you agree with me that it was nothing but your opinion? Hm, alright.

12. Set it cold but not too cold and work your way down. It doesn’t have to be freezing. Cold showers are not pointless but they’re not essential. I get a quick energy boost from them and they really wake me up in the morning.

Lions likes this.
  13. Lol I'm surprised cold showering has been so controversial for everyone!

From what I've read, cold showers decrease over all anxiety and depression.
    From what I understand, the initial shock releases hormones into your body that end up calming you down. Im speaking from memory so I recommend doing your own research if you're interested in this.
    I like the idea of them because they prepare your body for stress.
    It's really just uncomfortable water. It can't hurt you. It's not fire or acid or whatever.
    There's a martial art principal of being prepared and ready under all circumstances. I find ice water conditioning helps toward that mental principal.
    It's not always easy at all, but I like to ask myself, if someone held a gun to my head, could I do it?
    So 5 minutes under ice water or a Bullitt to the head, easy as pie.

14. Abetterbrain

Abetterbrain Fapstronaut

I take cold showers almost daily. And our water is super cold. It gets easier the more you do it. I don't think twice before doing it now.

I will say, however, my skin gets really dry now and tends to peel.

15. By that gun logic anything should be easy then, I don't know if still could though. lol

Showers are supposed to be relaxing though, if everything is stressful including a simple shower how do you relax? Maybe it's different for other people but even when I did it for a month I still hated doing it besides the anxiety as well, as @pezzy⚡️ said cold water on the face works well too and even though it's not the whole body you still get a shock.

It actually can be harmful if you do it wrong, have pre-existing conditions or are older, because it's taxing on the heart with that extreme shock. That's why they recommend if you do it to slowly decrease it overtime as opposed to starting out freezing cold.

16. Yeah, I personally can't do it in below freezing temperatures. Where I am it's maybe 7-8 degrees celcius right now.

And yes, that's actually the point of the gun logic lol. Life's not as hard as we make it.

17. Slamex

Slamex Fapstronaut

I have a cold shower, squeal like a little girl for about 10 seconds then relax after a minute... Then stare at myself in the mirror for 3 minutes because apparently I'm a vain bastard.

18. I noticed if you start with ice ice cold water as cold as you can get it at first, after less than 30 seconds your skin numbs up a bit and the shower is not even bad. I wash with hot water soap first then I do 5 minutes straight of the coldest water. It's great. You become less scared of discomfort

https://www.menprovement.com/benefits-of-cold-showers/

19. Mubx

Mubx Fapstronaut

I'd suggest you keep your showers mild and combine them with a little wim hoff breathing method! Does wonders!

20. BitGid

BitGid New Fapstronaut

Basically dont expose any part of your body in the cold shower too long. No more than 10-12 seconds (Esp not the head).