1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression during NoFap is affecting my relationship

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by psychic_egg, Mar 6, 2018.

1. psychic_egg

psychic_egg Fapstronaut

Is it normal to feel depressed during NoFap?
    (I don't think it's flatline because my libido is still there when I need it...)

Just before I committed to doing NoFap, I decided I didn't want to be on antidepressants anymore. I was only on 10mg of Prozac which is the lowest dose available, but since weaning off over the course of a few weeks and eventually stopping, I have been experiencing the expected withdrawal effects such as mood swings and depression. I know it's temporary, but it's still not pleasant.

This has been compounded by all of the neurological change coming with NoFap. From days 1 to 19 or so, my testosterone spiked and I LOVED talking to people, being outgoing and confident, and having fun with my girlfriend.
    Around day 23, I think I might have flatlined. It's hard to tell because I still had libido when aroused and could still "get it up" when I was with my girlfriend, but the brain fog and lack of drive was unmistakable - it felt like a mild depression.

I know this is not me. I think the withdrawal from Prozac has mostly, if not entirely gone away, but I think the flatline, or some form of withdrawal effect from PMO, must be to blame for my mental state right now.

In short, things with my girlfriend are extremely difficult right now. My mental state has changed a lot in the past few months after committing to NoFap and stopping an antidepressant. I'm highly critical of her and finding that she's hurting me a lot unintentionally, and I can't tell if my hurt is valid and I'm rightfully standing up for myself, or if I'm causing unnecessary harm.

2. 21yearsin

21yearsin Fapstronaut

I don't think you should have stopped taking your anti-depressant unless you were under doctor's orders to do so....

3. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

Yeah this is normal. I struggle with depression as well. Have never taken meds for it for long period of time, but it has spiked since particularly since doing hard mode (no PMO at all). I am more sensitive and more easily offended. Sometimes I need a day where I barely interact with my wife. It is embarrassing but a reality. My energy goes way up and way down quickly. (I also have ADHD which I dont medicate, and am ENTP, which only makes it more difficult). Stopping PMO or even just PM temporarily deregulates your hormonal balance as your body knows it and causes neuropathways in your brain to start breaking down, so you are going to be moody for awhile and have withdrawal symptoms. Its going to suck for awhile but it gets better. dont try to change too many things at once.

psychic_egg and Trappist like this.
  4. i find meditation and exercising as good complements to smooth out this transition

psychic_egg and Trappist like this.
  5. psychic_egg

psychic_egg Fapstronaut

Yeah I get that, and I understand where you're coming from, but the doctor prescribed them pretty flippantly in the first place - I don't think I actually needed them initially. Also, I weaned off of them under doctor supervision.

Jennica and 21yearsin like this.
  6. so what have you concluded on this, as its something i am wary of doing nofap, that i get even more down??

7. psychic_egg

psychic_egg Fapstronaut

All I know for certain is that there are hormonal changes taking place during NoFap - a flatline of sorts is a normal thing that everyone experiences, and while it might be unpleasant for a short time, it's nothing to fear. Truthfully, this depressive period left after a few days and I'm back to feeling amazing again!

8. psychic_egg

psychic_egg Fapstronaut

This was pretty accurate to my experience. I would get very easily offended, and while I know for myself that I need space as I am an introvert and a more intellectually-driven person, my girlfriend is just so sociable and outgoing it was hard to say no to hanging out with her for a while. As soon as I put my foot down that I needed to take time for myself, even if it was just an evening, things almost immediately started getting better.

I read somewhere (and I wish I kept this in mind more often) that the people doing NoFap are ultimately doing it for themselves and their own betterment - their motivations may be selfish, but in this case selfishness is not a bad thing. Therefore, if I need to be selfish and take the time for myself, that's okay and even encouraged. I shouldn't even feel a little bit bad that I need to step away from my loved ones for a time to sort myself out.

jobbyj and RecoveringLion like this.