1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

City to rural - have you made the move

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by jobbyj, Mar 15, 2018.

1. hi all,

wanting some thoughts, i have lived in cities but really like the countryside and quiet etc

i think i like the city given it has many options to do and see, however i think thats like my addicted brain needing to keep busy

has anyone here, made the move from city to more rural, and how has it worked / not worked?

cheers

noonoon and Deleted Account like this.
  2. MakeLove

MakeLove Fapstronaut

You will never know till you try it! The brain always keeps busy.. living in a quiet peaceful place it's so much easier to slow down and relax.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I've visited in the countryside here before but don't live there, I long for the day I can save up enough to move out there myself. Away from the traffic, people, pollution, and best of all the noise. Just you and nature really, it's a beautiful way to live.

noonoon and MLMVSS like this.
  4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I’ve lived in both settings and both have their upsides and downsides. Right now I live in a mix of the two and it seems like the right fit.

noonoon and Deleted Account like this.
  5. I moved from a large city to a very small border town near Mexico. it's very quiet and there are a lot of things to do outside, and there's overall a stronger sense of community imo. one of my favorite things about small towns are the little businesses/restaurants you discover hiding in the cracks, it's pretty fun

but for an extroverted person like me it's not a good place to live. it's hard finding people my age to spend time with since there aren't any parties or bars, so it can get pretty damn lonely. the rural scene was nice for a little while, but it got old quick. some people like it though

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I grew up in a more rural area, and I liked it. Objectively, it’s not better or worse than a city, but just... different. I liked it because I didn’t have to deal with much traffic, and it was more quiet and laidback. Oh how I miss those days.

7. maybe need to give it a go.....will see

thanks guys

8. Lonewolfpt

Lonewolfpt Fapstronaut

I did it. To me its great.

Since i am introvert i dont miss the buzz, confusion and noise oof a big city. To me is great just exercising outside all alone

9. yep did that. 1.5 hours away from the nearest city. Best of both worlds. Much better to have the quiet place as your home base.

10. like your avatar, fan of david goggins here also

Lonewolfpt likes this.
  11. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I never left rural. Where I live the "city" is about 15 minutes away and has a population of around 37000. The big cities are pretty much a foreign concept to me. Honestly I feel the internet has distracted me from what I have access to here. Being in my mid-to-late thirties I can see why people would want to get away to the rural life. Where ever one lives there's always going to be challenges. I find that since I live in a larger area, when compared to an apartment dweller, more of my mind is divided and focused on the buildings surrounding me which fall in disrepair.

12. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

I did it. Living in a small town is nice as there is less traffic and generally the people are nicer. They talk in line at the grocery story. They more likely to say hello and good day and mean it. But, you explore all the “stuff” pretty quick. Restaurants get booooring. Shopping very limited. Theatres pathetic. But there is hunting, and fishing, and hiking, etc. Of, course I live hours and hours from a decent sized city. Also, no gangs. That’s a big one. The water is fresh. The air is clear. No honking of car horns. You can find silence.

Rents are far less and you’re u get more for your money. I think they’re better places to raise kids too. I think if you could find a nice balance that’d be good. Christianity and Conservative values generally have a greater influence, which is awesome imo. I’m not saying it’s genuine Christianity - many people are still superficial. Having said that there you’ll find less “tolerance” in the modern sense of the word. If you have a beard nd like to walk outdoors in highheels and a dress, people will avoid you. But if your trans or something and actually look like the gender your pretending to be, people will be respectful but not necessarily inclusive.

If you’re u can find decent work it’s definitely a better way of life for the most part. We VISIT cities on vacation and then go back home to the country. That’s better than the alternative imo. I’m looking forward to another visit soon. Gonna people watch and honk my horn and eat at fancy restaurants...then go home.

jobbyj likes this.