1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Discussion on Despair, Grief, and Death

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Chris3000, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

Last semester I had a professor who shared with the class some wise words that I’ll never forget. He said that when we grieve over the death of a loved one, if we’re being honest with ourselves, we’re really only saddened because that person who died can no longer add to our lives. In other words, if my mom dies and I’m upset, it is because my life will no longer have xyz that my mom added to it when she was alive. Ask a grieving man why he grieves and he’ll tell you “I miss him/her”, “my life won’t be the same without them”, “they were important to me”, etc. These responses are all reiterations of my previous point. If we are to put things bluntly, without sugarcoating them, what we have is a loved one dying- yet an individual despairs over himself.

Is this not the most selfish thing you’ve heard?

Coincidentally, I recently came across the philosophy of the Daoist Zhuangzi, whose words echoed those of my professor. In Daoist thought, the importance of duality in the world is stressed. Examples of this concept are: the relationship between being and nonbeing, beauty and ugly, life and death. One cannot be known without the other. The Yin-Yang symbol may come to mind when thinking of relationships like these. Another important ideal in Daoist thought is the process of change. It is the nature of reality for things to be in the process of change- this shouldn’t be news to anyone. Nature, as well as humans, are constantly transforming. When one truly understands this law of nature, he/she will remain unaffected by change.

With that in mind, I offer an anecdote. Thousands of years ago, when Zhuangzi’s wife died, his friend Hui Shih found him sitting on the ground, singing and banging on pots. Hui Shih asked him “Your wife just died, how can you be so unfeeling?” Zhuangzi responded: “When she had just died, I could not help being affected. Soon, however, I examined the matter from the very beginning. At the very beginning, she was not living, having no form, nor even substance. But somehow or other there was then her substance, then her form, and then her life. Now by a further change, she has died. The whole process is like the sequence of the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. While she is thus lying in the great mansion of the universe, for me to go about weeping and wailing would be to proclaim myself ignorant of the natural laws. Therefore I stopped!”

Every moment involves a living and a dying, and this is what Zhuangzi realized. As you’re reading this, your cells are dying and new ones are born in their place. This is how evident the law of change really is. Zhuangzi merely recognized his wife’s place in the process of change. When my mom changed from a little girl into a teenager, nobody thought anything of it. Nor when she changed from a young adult to a new mother. Why then, should I grieve when she changes from life into death?

With that being said, it still seems natural for people to despair over the death of someone they loved, yet I can’t help but agree with Zhuangzi. Not only does it not make sense to worry/despair over the inevitable and the natural, but it is indeed selfish to grieve over another’s death.

If you took the time to read it all, thanks. I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts on this topic.

Kamikaze_Aeroplane27 likes this.
  2. It kinda reminds me of this story in the Bible. David, the king of Israel, had a son who was dying as a newborn. While the kid was still alive, David prayed and fasted, etc. But when the son died, he stopped and went on his way. When asked why he doesn't mourn, he basically responds that mourning constantly won't change anything. If he wants to honor his son, he will live the life his son could not have. As my mom just recently passed away, this post could not have been timed better. Thanks, mate.

kevinfine and Chris3000 like this.
  3. Paperweight

Paperweight Fapstronaut

I would not applaud someone who did not feel grief when their children died. However, in the case of an elderly person, the transition can seem more natural and right. Some deaths are harder to bear than others, and that's the way it should be.

It is far from selfish for a mother and father to grieve their dead child. That "selfishness" is called parental concern and it exists solely for the benefit of others, it's evolution.

Now, allowing yourself to be crippled by grief is very different to not feeling it. Locking yourself in your room weeping is selfish insofar as you are neglecting other duties, but people should be "affected", that is living.

Another point, if we want people to value their own lives, normalising indifference in the face of family members' deaths does not encourage that.

4. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

I was thinking the same things as well. Emotion isn't something that should just be blocked, but it seems that Zhuangzi felt that grief was some thing that could be dodged if looked at with reason. It is circumstantial for sure

5. Paperweight

Paperweight Fapstronaut

The worth of the whole universe and the concepts of right and wrong can be reduced to nothing if looked at with cold reason alone, that's nihilism, right? I think that's what we call it these days.

What is selfishness? If selfishness amounts to simply feeling emotion, I'd call it a virtue.

A vice is an indulgence that causes harm in the longer-term, ultimately to others. If this is what you mean by selfishness, a vice, then not feeling is more selfish than feeling.

6. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

I'm not sure what you mean by the concepts of right and wrong being reduced to nothing through reason. But as far as grief goes, Zhuangzi's point is that if death is not only inevitable, but natural (one can argue it's the most natural part of life), then it is unreasonable to worry or despair over it. That is my understanding, at least.

As for the selfishness comment , maybe self-centered would have been a better word for me to have used. I mean it in the literal sense of the word-centered around the self. And I say this because of my example of an individual feeling a loss from their own life even though someone else has died.

7. Paperweight

Paperweight Fapstronaut

"Everything ends. Even if we assume that the universe itself will remain habitable for eternity, if the chances of human extinction are non-zero, then it is a mathematical certainty to happen eventually. Once we are all dead, our descendants, our legacies, everything, what does it matter what we did in our lives? What was right? What was wrong?" That's called staring into the abyss.

Zhuangzi is staring into something else, instead of an empty abyss it's a dispassionate flux, and it's equally nullifying of virtue and vice.

My point was that selfishness/self-centeredness/X/Y/Z, whatever name you wish to label the thing we are talking about, that thing is not bad but good. I'm not arguing over linguistics. I might disagree with your choice of label, it is unremarkable, I am giving my opinion on the thing you have described.

Chris3000 likes this.
  8. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

I think I see what you're saying. That "dispassionate flux" seems to be the Tao, what is nameless and what can't be described. All in all I wasn't proposing a final take on grief or despair, just perhaps another way of looking at the situation. Thanks for the input

Paperweight likes this.
  9. Is love reasonable? Is sadness reasonable? Have you ever heard the term “I’m so angry I can’t think straight?” If we were robots then reason would be the ultimate source of all our actions but we’re not. Feelings come and go and the idea one is selfish simply for having certain feelings like grief is ridiculous. Plus I think calling grief “the most selfish thing you’ve heard” is a crazy over exaggeration.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
  10. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

I don't think Zhuangzi's point was "love/sadness isn't reasonable". It's more like "this isn't the thing to be sad over". He himself was very sad when his wife first died but his epiphany came from realizing this natural law of change, and that this very law is what brought his wife to him in the first place. So instead of holding on to her when her time to pass came, he let go and celebrated life. I also think the point wasn't to be robotic when times like these happen. Feel what you feel, that in itself is normal and human.

But, to Zhuangzi's point again, an individual who truly understands change and duality will realize that this isn't the thing to be sad over.

I can see how my original post came across as "don't grieve or you're being selfish and unreasonable." I don't want people to not grieve, but rather to look at one's situation with all that has been said in mind and to judge if death is honestly something to worry/despair over.

Edit: Seeing as Zhuangzi did grieve himself, albeit for a short time, maybe a way to look at this is how to accept what has happened and move on through the grieving process quickly.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  11. I think the point here is that grief should not inhibit you from the rest of your life. You look on the person's life with fondness, and yes you are sad because you lost them, but, in the case of my mom, I look on all the lives she touched and how many people she influenced. Do i wish she was still here on earth? Yeah. But, honestly, she wrote a note to me before she died and she said not to cry too much. She wanted me to live my life to the fullest, and not be held back by my grief and emotions. Instead I use them to inspire me to continue living and I think that was kind of Zhuangzi's point in it all. Yes, he was saddened by his wife's death, but he knew there was nothing he could do to change the fact that she was gone, so he lived his life in honor of her. There may be rough days where the sadness is overwhelming, but overall , life should be led to the fullest.

Chris3000 likes this.
  12. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

thank you , I think you hit the nail on the head with this post

13. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I disagree with that theory, a lot of people aren’t as self centered as you think they are. Perhaps your professor’s words resonated with you because that’s how your mind works.

Deleted Account likes this.

14. Thank you. I think the confusion comes from your presentation of Zhauanzi’s epiphany about his wife’s death. His realization is deeper than the change of the physical form. It seems he ceases to be grieved because he believes his wife and all of us have always existed in a sense in the “featureless indistinguishable mass”. His reply to his friend is:

"You misjudge me," said Zhuangzi. "When she died, I was in despair, as any man well might be. But soon, pondering on what had happened, I told myself that in death no strange new fate befalls us. In the beginning, we lack not life only, but form. Not form only, but spirit. We are blended in one great featureless indistinguishable mass. Then a time came when the mass evolved spirit, spirit evolved form, form evolved life. And now life in its turn has evolved death. For not nature only but man's being has its seasons, its sequence of spring and autumn, summer and winter. If someone is tired and has gone to lie down, we do not pursue him with shouting and bawling. She whom I have lost has lain down to sleep for a while in the Great Inner Room. To break in upon her rest with the noise of lamentation would but show that I knew nothing of nature's Sovereign Law. That is why I ceased to mourn."
    —————————-

So it sounds like he’s consoled by the belief that his wife has returned back to the One Great Festurless Mass aka The Great Inner Room from whence she came. He refers to her as “sleeping” so I’m going to conclude that Zhauanzi neither believes in life or death or even in the existence of self? Basically beleives we are all one power, one energy, and that when we die the Dao will take us and then give us back. Not like in reincarnation but rather a recycling of energy?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
    Chris3000 likes this.
  15. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

The way you describe it sounds about right. I'm not an expert on Daoist thought by any means, but your rendition on the recycling of energy seems to do the Tao justice.