1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of boredom?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by TheRevenant, Mar 31, 2018.

1. TheRevenant

TheRevenant Fapstronaut

We all know that one of the main reasons that we go towards PM is boredom and idleness. I also suffer from it a lot. So can you guys suggest what you do to get yourselves busy?

2. Boredom is tough because... Theres different types of boredom.

Let's say I'm bored and I smoke a cigarette. Ok so I enjoyed the cigarette and it killed some time. But I'm still bored.

I enjoy golf... But I play it not because I love it but because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Same goes for drinking beer at a bar or this or that.

I personally believe that for you to truly not be bored... People have to think you're a little bit crazy with regards to your hobbies/work. Like.. let's say the late Stephen Hawking. I'm sure many people said he was an oddball, nerd, this and that... But do you think that even for a minute he was bored?

If you're completely devoted and Inlove with something you're not bored.

This is the observations of someone who's completely bored in life lol

vibemaker and TheRevenant like this.
  3. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

I don't believe in boredom. Boredom, simply put is procrastination.

Procrastination is often putting off important, or necessary tasks in an attempt to self sooth. We would rather endulge instead of doing that which is hard or unpleasant.

It is no wonder we fall victim to urges and weakness when we are "bored". We are already seeking stimuli to make us feel better, instead of just working on those things that will ultimately be rewarding.

There are so many things in this world to become masters of, how do we even have time to be bored?

vibemaker, TheRevenant and diddykong like this.
  4. Mkngitwrk

Mkngitwrk Fapstronaut

Just get up and do something.

TheRevenant and Deleted Account like this.
  5. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

Find a passion that you're willing to dedicate a lot of time to. After dedicating a lot of time to this thing you should feel fulfilled if it is a real passion. Binge watching netflix and playing video games is not a passion, you'll feel empty and unfulfilled doing those things. Art, physical fitness, music(instrument), educate yourself with books, write/journal, work on your car, it has to be something that makes you want to get up in the morning. It has to be something you are always thinking about, while the normie crowds are talking about the new game of thrones episodes you're watching tutorial videos and gaining more knowledge in something and planning. In the end you should be more informed, more skilled, stronger, or have something to show for your work.

TheRevenant likes this.
  6. diddykong

diddykong Fapstronaut

I agree with this. There are things that we all know that we "ought" to be doing more of/things that we would want to do to better ourselves. The number one road block that we put in front of ourselves is "I haven't got time". The thing with time is that you will make time to do things that you want to do. The people that bemoan that they "don't have time" are often the people that spend hours doing mindless things like scrolling through social media. Or "I don't have time" but just completed a five hour Netflix binge.

The other secret with boredom is that it's not necessarily a bad thing but you have to exercise your brain enough to be able to see that. In our modern world we have so many distractions (social media, news site, YouTube, smartphones) that we look for something to fill every single second of our existence. All these things that we tend to fill our time with are superficial distractions rather than things that we can properly get stuck into. Whenever we actually try to do something, our attention is constantly distracted by the pinging of our smartphones/email/Facebook that we can't properly focus on the task - which is actually all that our brains can focus on at once. Once you have shifted attention to something else, it takes a long time to shift it back to what you were doing before. It's very easy to get bored when you only have superficial things to fill your time with.

The only way to not get bored is to have lots of work to fill your time with. It sounds strange but we need to work - we actually yearn for work. Do you think that prehistoric man spent hours sitting around doing nothing? If you're bored it is essentially your brain asking for more work to do. How many times have you got so into some kind of work that you didn't realize where the time went? "Work" I call anything that you have to put effort into and will improve your life in some way. It can be cultivating healthy habits like exercise and other self improvement. I promise that if you can find some kind of work to do and go all in to it with no superficial distractions - so block out a time to do it with your phone off and social media away, then you will not get bored.

Kman20, TheRevenant and Reverent like this.
  7. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

Well said, I very much agree.

TheRevenant likes this.
  8. TheRevenant

TheRevenant Fapstronaut

Thanks for all the awesome comments and the time you put to write them. You're all so right. I mean I really feel empty after playing video games and watching TV and especially after checking social media. I mean every time I get bored I think the only solution to fix it is filling my time by picking up my phone and checking social media. I think that social media gives you the illusion that you are getting yourself busy while after you put your phone down you feel unsatisfied. If I can get the power to check my phone less regularly then I can get my mind off of it and focus on something else. The bad thing about me is that though I'm not an introvert and I have good social interactions but I tend to spend most of my time at home which makes anyone bored. And I'm having a hard time finding a passion that would really grab me so I just keep walking without any real purpose and then ultimately get back at my phone. It's kind of become an addition for me and when I come to myself I see that hours have passed and I haven't done anything useful and I guess that's why I feel so aimless recently and feel empty.
    Unfortunately I'm also not a fan of reading and writing and just can't bear reading more than a couple of pages.

But all your great comments have given me ideas to change myself, thanks again.

9. Supermarron

Supermarron Fapstronaut

You could meditate skateboard or read some good book. Currently I’m reading peak performance.