1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of avoiding PMO

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AGradeAGuy, Mar 28, 2018.

1. I use "avoiding" as that's how it has seemed over the past few weeks.

I haven't even been counting the days (of course once I post this and see my counter I'll have a better idea of how long it's been).

What has happened is that I'm feeling emotions a lot more. Every so often I'll binge on video games, etc. I find myself edging as a means to procrastinating on productive projects, chores, errands, et al, but what I'm really procrastinating on is feeling.

I have a girlfriend that I'm not all that physically attracted to, however, she's the most sane and smartest woman I know. So it's difficult seeing/meeting a physically attractive woman and wondering more about her.

That said, as cliché as it is, "I just keep doing the next right thing." It's a struggle, sometimes it takes me into the afternoon to do my morning routine (yoga, breakfast, blah, blah, blah...) but I'm happy that I haven't turned to my old staple of running from emotion and responsibility through PMO use.

As Dory from Finding Nemo says, "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming."

With depression, that's difficult enough. Indeed Dory. Just keep swimming.

Deleted Account and IronDog like this.
  2. Yay! 22 days! That's my second longest streak!

Just keep swimming...

3. j_pwc_bat

j_pwc_bat Fapstronaut

Great advice above -- and Congratulations on your 25 days of Success (or doing the next right thing) !!

Sounds like you may be "flatlining" -- the depression... lack of interest is normal. The good news is that it is only temporary (1-2 weeks - approx.). Google "Natural ways to release Dopamine" to assist.

From NoFap Glossary --
    "Flatlining: Many NoFap® users report one or more periods of zero libido during their streak, especially in the 2-6 week period. Transitioning from an overexcited, always-eager libido to none at all can be disconcerting and even scary for the experienced masturbator, but many Fapstronauts report that it is only a phase in the reboot and will pass."

Reminds me of the hospital monitor that just shows a 'flatline'...

Here's a video of what I'm talking about -- others are available.

4. Thanks for the video! I've already preexisting double depression (dysthymia along with acute situational depression) so PMO has always been a way of "self medicating."

Historically I'm not good with discomfort or pain. Lately I've been suffering from my usual seasonal allergies which includes painful headaches so the task of staying away from PMO is a little more challenging.

I just come here, look at my counter, and think, "Well, I've made it this far, and it's only a matter of time before I up my game to include cold showers, regular work outs, and doing stuff I enjoy that benefits me in the long run (in contrast to doing something like PMO that, while enjoyable, has little to no benefit in the long run).

What really stood out for me in that video was that it's important increasing dopamine should be done naturally.
    I've always done "to do" lists and, as a "creative," I know very well the zone of flow. My challenge has always been doing things I enjoy (creative pursuits, etc.) as I tend to do what society/others expect of me first then run out of time to do the things I want to do. I prioritize things that I need or supposed to do.

And "monkey mind" is definitely a problem. Anyway, congrats on your 78 days!