1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on coldshowers how can i get my self into one

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ReWirinTheBrain, Apr 15, 2018.

1. They get super cold so I stopped doing them a couple months ago any tips on how to get back into them?

2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

You're basically asking how to do something difficult and uncomfortable without it being so difficult and uncomfortable.

You just do it. The more you procrastinate, the bigger of a deal it will become, and the more you'll fear it.

It doesn't ever stop being uncomfortable, but you do become mentally stronger. The more you escape from it, the harder it will become, and the weaker you'll be to face it.

Think of it as an exercise of facing pain, problems, and negative experiences in your daily life rather than numbing or neglecting them with various forms of escape.

Cold showers are exactly that.... they're cold. That's the reality of it. Your mind is trying to think of ways of how the cold shower shouldn't be so cold.

3. Clean Plate

Clean Plate Fapstronaut

Man, I havent taken a GOOD OLD cold shower in a long time. I havent been taking them because of winter up in the north west. The easiest way to take a cold shower is just to do it. Let your body take in that cold water. Feel every breath and sensation as the cold rushes all around your body. It feels so good after coming out of the shower. Its like, man, I cant explain it, it feels good man. I think the tip is to be in the cold shower long enough to feel the effects. Try 5 minutes.

4. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

I've integrated cold showers into my daily habits, I think about a year ago when I started it was challenging and I remember going some days just not attempting it...

Now it's normal. However for winter I usually use hot water as well. But always finish on cold for at least one minute.

I had a few tricks to get me started...

I read and re-read the many benefits of the cold shower.
    And I found playing a highly motivational song in my head (or on speakers if you have them in the bathroom), this helps a lot at first!!

One benefit is just leaving in the morning knowing you've already done something challenging that most people only do on crazy hot summer days. Think of it as setting the mood for the rest of the day!

Clean Plate likes this.
  5. I haven't used em cold showers in my recovery, and it still worked.

pranav02 and Clean Plate like this.
  6. Same here man its cold up here lmao but guys i did one this morning all i did was stop thinking about the pain and it felt pretty comfortable lmao

Clean Plate and Reborn16 like this.
  7. I decided to use them only when some temptation comes. I want to link this uncomfortable freezing feeling with the false warmth of temptation, so the latter should start feeling uncomfortable as well. A method typical for behaviourists. Is it proper, though?

Clean Plate likes this.
  8. NZT 48

NZT 48 Fapstronaut

Put the shower on warm first, get under it, then turn it all the way down to cold. Brace your body for the first 5-10 seconds or so to get used to it. After that just make sure you keep moving whilst you're in the shower

Clean Plate likes this.
  9. oneaffidavit

oneaffidavit Fapstronaut

I had very little experience with cold showers. I have done them a week or so, around six months back. I should start cold showers again. It is summer here. May be it could be easy to start.

Clean Plate likes this.
  10. Clean Plate

Clean Plate Fapstronaut

If that works for you great! Everyones different, not every one method that works for someone else will work for you. Find what it is that works for you OP. I think cold showers are worthwile. I finished working out, im going to take one right now as a matter of fact, cheers!

11. Hatfuge

Hatfuge Fapstronaut

I think cold showers are an amazing way to begin your day. I do them for 10 minutes, I wouldn't recommend starting at 10 minutes, but maybe 30 seconds and build it up.

In the beginning do your showers as normal and turn it cold at the end for 30 seconds, I would turn it all the way down from the beginning of your cold shower journey.

Stay at 30 seconds for a week and add another 30 seconds every week or something. when you can last long enough in the cold shower to wash your body like normal I would only use cold showers from that point.

I use cold shower as a way to a healthier body, the mental part is good, but as long as you just jump into it without thinking long about it it won't be so hard. for me hardest part is getting wet for the first time under the shower and then it's okey :)

The more you think about it, the harder it gets, like 10 seconds and 1 minute of thinking about it is a huge difference in my opinion on the difficulty.

There is no race and the cold should be respected, you will never win against nature no matter how hard you try to force it. I would just breathe deeply and stay relaxed during the showers, or aim for getting to that point. If you start to really shiver I would get out and try again next time. don't push it too far.

Clean Plate likes this.
  12. I normally just take them cold, get them over with, but because of the winters here (which are still going on, because 16 degrees, plus windchill yesterday... in Mid-April), I either do a super hot and then rinse with cold. Or, something that's a bit easier for me personally, is I do light work out before I take one. Like, 20-30 Jumping jacks, 10-15 pushups, mountain climbers, high knees, something to get blood flowing and my body heating up a bit before I take the shower.

Clean Plate likes this.
  13. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

Breathe deeply for sure, controlling your breath is a big deal for me when I take a cold shower.

Also when I'm having trouble getting in, I just get in slowly. I just start with a foot, then a leg. Then I get in. For me my body slowly gets used to the cold, so if one leg is already used to it, I can get in and it makes it easier for me. Maybe it's a mental thing, but it works for me.

Clean Plate likes this.
  14. As others have said the best way to do it is to just do it.I am a huge fan of Jocko Willink and he said that waking up is like a test.its the first test of your day and you either pass or fail,if you have the discipline to get up in the morning when your alarm goes off than congrats you passed,if you give up and go back to sleep then you failed and I like to take that same approach to cold showers.If I can step into that cold stream of water than I passed the test and my discipline gets stronger but if I turn that handle to hot than I failed the test.

That being said my approach is to turn the water on and stick my hand in and slowly move my entire arm up to my shoulder under the cold water.then do that with a leg and after that I step into the shower.I find this helps to dampen the shock of jumping straight in.

Good luck!

Clean Plate likes this.