1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to improve focus/concentration?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by sfmark12, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Hello all, thanks in advance for reading this post. I need some advice to stay focused on what I do sometimes. For a while, even during my reboot I lose focus on what activity I do like reading(the major one), work, and lifting. Reading is the most important one in this case. At the moment I am reading Stephen Hawking's book a brief history of time, I just cant focus on the book. And it's not bad, I love his writing, My mind is just elsewhere but the book. I'd be reading a paragraph and all of a sudden I'm thinking about my job, my friends, sexual thoughts(the biggest ),family and it drives me crazy. What I try to do is the rubber band trick and try to re-read the paragraph again. It kind of works sometimes but I just keep falling in that hole. Any advice is much appreciated!

IN SHORT: tips on how to focus and improve my concentration with reading?

noonoon likes this.
  2. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I know everyones going to recommend it but meditation if you aren’t already. Also try to have a distraction free time whenever you can, meaning doing just one task like reading with your phone and anything else that could potentially distract you off and away. This should help as it helped me. Good luck !

work meditation likes this.
  3. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

Firstly, what is the rubber band trick??
    If your life is stressful right now it is quite natural to have difficulty concentrating. For me to get into a book I have to set aside time to read. I give myself at least an hour. And a brief history of time is a rather heavy (though accessible for the subject) book. Don’t feel bad if your mind wanders a bit. For that book you might go online and read some crib notes along with it or some commentary before reading a chapter. Might help focus. I recall trying to read that a while ago having similar issues. You might also try to get it on tape (audible is great for that) and listen to it in the car or on head phones. I do both sometimes (read and listen) as I have an audible subscription and it doesn’t cost much. Some sections you might even skip through if it bogs down too much.

4. work meditation

work meditation Fapstronaut

try practicing singletasking.
    and not just when you are reading, but everytime you do something.
    take up one task, complete it and only then move on to something else.
    this way your mind will (after sometime) get trained to think only about the task at hand.
    so this will reduce / eliminate mind wandering into offtopic stuff while you are reading a book ( or doing any other task ).
    hope this helps.

5. Warrior II

Warrior II Fapstronaut

I have the same problem...

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for the advice guys, I also read that if you aren't focused on the book you are reading you should pick up something new and see if it'll pull you in. That's what I plan to do next.

moonesque likes this.
  8. Mirach

Mirach Fapstronaut

1. Meditation
    2. GTD theory which frees up your mind so you can concentrate on the task you are doing
    3. Pomodoros