1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Karimtolstoi, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Karimtolstoi

Karimtolstoi Fapstronaut

Guys has anyone of you quitted social media like fb ? What are the benefits and the drawbacks of such decision?

2. oneaffidavit

oneaffidavit Fapstronaut

I deleted my facebook account in first week of March 2016. It got permenantly deleted. I became facebook-free for almost an year. I created a new account on the last week of February 2017.

Before:
    1) I used to visit fb almost every day and spent at least 30 min. on it
    2) I used to share memes, posts etc.
    3) I used to long for likes, comments, shares etc. of my posts.
    4) I would constantly get depressed about my own life (later when I spoke to many of my friends face to face during weddings/events, I came to know that they are also as unhappy as me with their own lives. I actually went on a different path and confessed that I regret it. However, they felt that my life was much better. All I could say was - Grass is greener on other side).

Changes:
    1) My cravings have reduced 100%. I hardly visit fb now
    2) I lost interest in concept of fb

Few months back, I opened fb and saw birthday wishes which were posted like weeks before. I totally forgot about that.

I have fb account only in case someone wants to contact me. I do not have fb app or messenger app installed on my phone. I browse fb in my browser only. I turned off notifications.

Recently, I got into touch with couple of friends whom I didn't meet over 3-4 years.

Facebook is a great tool for business for marketing, taking feedback and getting in touch with people. Social Media is the cheapest form of marketing tools available.

If you are browsing fb while taking lunch, then that's a problem. If you are with your family but you are busy with messenger, that's a problem. So, I would like to end this post by saying that Facebook isn't bad. Too much facebook is bad. Social Media isn't bad. Too much of it is bad.

Karimtolstoi and Mirach like this.
  3. tidus

tidus Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I quit Facebook in January.
    I quit Instagram and Snapchat in February.

Benefits
    • I'm not lazy anymore. I'm putting a ton of energy and time to my life and making it better each day. I used to just sit in my room for hours and scroll through social media apps and get nothing done or not do things like go to the gym
    • I'm a lot happier. I used to compare my life to other people's lives and always thought my life sucked. Now that I'm not updated on anyone's lives anymore, my life is awesome and it gets better each day
    • I'm less triggered. Instagram was a huge trigger for me and I followed a lot of "art" accounts that posted nudity
    • I spend less money. Facebook pages of brands and companies posting new products always lead me to want to spend
    • I don't miss it. I'm constantly around my friends and family who are on their phones and I feel so comfortable without it. The thought of going back actually makes me uncomfortable.
    Drawbacks
    • Birthdays. I've relied on Facebook so much for people's birthday's that I forgot to say Happy Birthday to a lot of people I love and care about.
    • Friends and family. I have no idea what most of them are doing and I miss them. Especially the ones that live far where I can't just call and meet up with them for lunch.
    • Loneliness. Sometimes I feel so disconnected that it does get lonely. But at the same time I do feel like I was more alone when I was on it.

I quit social media because I asked a girl if she wanted to grab coffee and she said yes. But a week later she changed her mind and I was bothered by that and didn't want to see her profile. Also, my ex girlfriend suddenly started to appear in my feed on Instagram. I have no idea how but I am not connected to her or any of her friends/family and vice versa and that bothered me a lot. These are my own benefits and drawbacks so I'm not sure what you're looking for. I'm not completely getting rid of social media forever but there is a lot of positive not being on it. I haven't felt this happy in a long time and I do believe it's because I'm applying more time to self improvement rather than browsing on my phone all day.

Karimtolstoi and Mirach like this.
  4. Mirach

Mirach Fapstronaut

I think the aspect of social media that makes you create an image of yourself that you feel you have to live up to when you actually come across your friends can be quite depressing and quiting social media for that sole reason will reduce alot of anxiety in my case. Go for it, if your thinking about it

Karimtolstoi likes this.
  5. I'm 28 yo and I quit social media 8 years ago. I don't participate in narcissistic behaviour. I don't care what vacation someone booked this year. I don't care what meal you cooked today. I don't care about you're 100+ selfies. I don't care at what job you started working. I don't care what new clothes you bought. I don't see any benefits from having FB or any other social media. I rather like to keep my plans to myself. I don't need the whole world to know about it. I don't want the vultures stealing my plans and ideas or eating my food. I don't strengthen the princess syndrome prevalent in this generation of girls by giving them attention like they are some kind of celebrity. When I was younger I was guilty of doing this and was being a beta male simp. I got screwed over big time. It's a playground for cheaters, a showroom for narcissists. Let the sheople have it. It's everything I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
    Karimtolstoi likes this.
  6. Karimtolstoi

Karimtolstoi Fapstronaut

Thank you guys for all your posts. I particularly have a similar vision with L00kN0Hands. I think it is time for me to quit all social media accounts I have and don't care about others' people life who take themselves as celebrities.