1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quit Drinking?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by March 5, Apr 18, 2018.

1. March 5

March 5 Fapstronaut

Anyone else thinking about quitting drinking?

I am at the point in my reboot where I feel the benefits, but at the same time am in shock that PMO has been having such a negative impact on my life all of these years and I had no idea. I keep reading the forums over and over with my jaw dropped at all of the stories that are similar to mine. Started PMO at a young age, depression/anxiety/low self esteem, escalation, and all the while I had no idea I even had a PMO addiction. It was just something I did daily. I knew it was bad, but I kept doing it because it was all I knew. FYI I was living a fucking miserable life the whole time. Now I am starting to see a glimmer of hope I have not seen in a very very long time. But, that being said, back to the main topic....

I have been thinking about quitting drinking for the same reason. I might not even know it is a problem until I stop doing it and see what the other side is like. I have been a weekend binge drinker since early in HS and every very bad thing that has ever happened in my life has happen when I was drunk. Fights, getting arrested, cheating on girl friends, being a dick, etc.

I want to get the most out of my life and at this point I don't know how drinking fits into that. Especially since, for me, it seems to be an uncontrollable aspect of my life that creates a bunch of unwanted bad outcomes on a consistent basis.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? / Quit drinking before?

I am interested in hearing if it really will have a positive impact that I am unaware of. I am also sick of spending so much time in bars. I feel like the world has more to offer.

2. Fuck man I've been laying off the booze lately and tbh I can barely take the boredom... It's tough man. Imo? Focus on one thing at a time. Finish with PMO for a good streak then tackle booze

3. Nekkhamma

Nekkhamma Fapstronaut

I could only see it being of benefit to at least give it a shot. I've been clean and sober for 12 1/2 years and while there are times I miss the fun and craziness, my life is so much better than it was. To each their own, but I'd say why not try it out for a spell. The tricky thing, like Wayfare mentioned, is finding things to do. Maybe learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, learn an instrument, take up running, volunteer at a humane society, take up boxing, Muay Thai kickboxing, save up money to go somewhere you've always wanted to. I don't think it could hurt. All the best with everything, brother!

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

I know what you mean I used alcohol as a crutch to not feel nervous when going out but I'm starting to realize it's not ideal and try to cutback on it because I have made stupid decisions while drinking also binge drinking is terrible for my health. So I'm gonna try to eliminate pregamming totally and go out sober and have no more than 2-3 drinks and experiment

5. I am probably similar to you in my drinking habits (10+ years of weekend binges and associated negative consequences). Probably 90% of my PMO relapses are when hungover.

I haven't drank in four weeks and agree with whoever above said it's pretty boring. Doing Jiu Jitsu/ volunteering etc is fine and all but at 9pm on a Friday night after a long week of work you will want a beer. I find that tough.

Overall I haven't seen many major day-to-day positives mentally or physically so far. Unless you are an alcoholic, quitting booze is not a silver bullet for improving your life.

However the MAJOR thing for me is avoiding the negatives every weekend (drunken fuck-ups, wasted money, hangovers, relapses, poor diet, no exercise, depression). I might have a few beers this weekend to celebrate the 1 month milestone and then quit for another 4 weeks.

6. March 5

March 5 Fapstronaut

Thank you everyone for the responses.

The big thing for me is that every time I go out and drink a shit ton and am hungover all the next day I feel like I am starting over mentally and physically. Like all momentum I had towards my goals is lost.

I am just going to take a break for two months and see how I feel. I do not trust myself staying away from the negatives because I am still at the point where whenever I drink I overdo it. Hopefully, the absence will help me become more of a normal drinker. As far as being bored goes... idk what I will do. I could definitely use the time to get ahead in somethings I want to do, but a large part of my social life/enjoying myself revolves around drinking a lot with friends.

Should be an interesting experiment, but thank you all for you tips and advice.

Nekkhamma and Deleted Account like this.
  7. I eased back on my drinking several years ago when I realised that I was using it as a copying mechanism for the crap things in my life. Stopping drinking (and PMO) didn't stop the crap things in my life from being there, but the lack of a barrier to hide behind made me confront them head-on.

I'll still drink occasionally, but I make sure it's a good one (a well-made vesper)

8. VirilitySupreme

VirilitySupreme Fapstronaut

I quit drinking a while ago after reading about the deleterious effects alcohol has on Testosterone.

It's actually quite funny how beer (to use it as an example) is touted as this "manly" drink yet it has Estrogen in it !

Every man I've met that was heavily into beer had manboobs !

Also, when you mention quitting drinking and whether it has a positive effect that you are unaware of, I would like to maybe change your perspective about the whole thing:

It's not about the positives of quitting, it's about the negatives of drinking in the first place. Being sober is the default position.

Drinking here and there is not gonna do anything drastic to your Testosterone and health if you are pretty high on the Testosterone scale.

However, if you are a Low-Test man to begin with, then those two glasses of Whiskey might be the reason you keep waking up in Estrogen-land !

I would say keep it at only a glass when you drink and only do distilled beverages.

I think that being sober leads to a way happier life and hormonal balance whereas drinking heavily will only give you back sadness and mediocrity.