1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you cultivate true sorrow/remorse for your betrayed SO?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by TryingHard2Change, Apr 29, 2018.

1. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

I truly hope this does not trigger any SO's .... If it does, I apologize in advance.

I just got done with a session with my CSAT therapist .. And I am questioning how empathetic I have been towards my own wife.

Part of the problem, I think, is time. It's been 11 months / I have grown and changed A BUNCH....my wife is struggling with all of the bullets lodged in her from the Uzi I shot her up with [reference to the 'Help Her Heal' videos].

I don't know how to stay in a place of deep sorrow and empathy...and, I honestly am wondering how close I got to that place of deep sorrow and empathy.

I am sure that I am past the surface sorrow of just "being sad for getting caught / admitting to it"....But I want to know how to continually cultivate a deeper and deeper understanding of how my wife feels (given my circumstances where she won't talk to me).

I am a Christian .. so I am going to begin daily praying to God for this.

But I am curious what others have done / are doing related to this.

EDIT: I use the phrase "true sorrow/remorse" because I'm not looking to fake it / or 'put on' something superficial.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

I am admire your strength and determination. Your drive to bring to bring further understanding, learnings, and hope to your recovery. I can't help but to feel heartbroken from your impossible situation. I don't think you can fully empathize with your wife, if she doesn't talk to you at all. What does she really struggle with? What are her triggers? What part of the addiction hurts her the most? How does she feel about you?
    There are some things I think you can do. One is to practice humility with her, admit that you are flawed and can use her help. Secondly, you have to show vulnerability, let her know how you fell when she doesn't talk to you, how you would like to understand how she feels. Lastly, I think it would help to find out how you two can find a time to relate with each other and to be honest with each other.
    There are some things I think about it in terms of betrayal trauma, and the reality break that happens through either disclosure or discovery. The former reality no longer exists (if it ever did in the betrayed eyes). A new reality comes into shape as the disclosure comes out, and the addict begins recovery. Then there is the reality the two of you share with each other post recovery, if you choose to do so. All I can think of with your wife is she is avoiding the new reality from your PA. She doesn't want to know about it, or think about it, let alone talk about it. She is lying to herself, and ensuring neither of you can start to heal or move on. She is in a suspension of disbelief, and has put your relationship and interactions with you on pause. Find out what you can do, what repair attempts, or conversations or actions that can be started or achieved for her to start talking again, to face the new reality, and hopefully find out what that means for the two of you.

3. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I think in generally what I have found is that men have a harder time empathizing with others than women do. I think that they can understand someone is hurt, and why, but they cannot actually put themselves in that situation. A big part of that is because men are just not as “in touch” with their own feelings as women are. If you cannot identify the feeling in yourself, you are likely to be unable to identify it in others. I think that working on getting in touch with your own feelings can help you to be better when it comes to empathy. I also think that for addicts in recovery, particularly for a year (like you) you start to think how far you have come, how hard it is, and don’t understand why she is still hurt about it. But again you have been dealing with this for years, it is all very new to her. I just commented on another post about this but the number one thing is to put her first, and do that always. This is the thing addicts struggle with the most. I think if you get to that point then you will be better with empathy. Say something about how she feels or her pain, without also including your own in that sentence. Practice that. My wife is hurt solely because I lied to her for years. She is not responsible for this. This was 100 percent my fault, and I will need to work for the rest of my life to fix this. And do not follow it with “but I have come so far.”

hope4healing, Numb, Jagliana and 4 others like this.
  4. TryingHard2Change

So my wife and I are sitting down for 10 minutes (or more) every night .. to purposely talk .. not necessarily "about us", but it tends to come up. For example, last night, she and I talked about my session with our CSAT therapist.

Having that dedicated time is helpful..and I am glad that we have arrived at some measure of communication. (@Jagliana has been pushing me towards this for a while...it happened--the timing of it is just something I could not force)

But even those conversations with my wife every night--I don't foresee hearing very much FROM my wife regarding her triggers / what she is struggling with / what hurts her the most. When I wrote this thread -- cultivating empathy -- I was thinking more about the years and years of PM use..my addiction/my choice to engage in all of that..how has that affected my wife? how can I be more empathetic towards her in her pain because of those actions?

I think reading some of the Betrayal Trauma books .. watching/listening to the Helping Her Heal video monthly (or even weekly) .. just being diligent to remind myself, with various activities/readings/etc., of the hurt and pain PM'ing causes our SO's.

hope4healing and Jennica like this.
  5. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

Does she have a journal? Is she starting to work recovery now?

If I were in her shoes and if she really wants to try to make the marriage work (even on a small level) she must start doing things in line with that desire (words and actions must start lining up).

Journaling with prompts really gets one to think. You may not know what triggers her and such, but do you think she knows? And how can you know what triggers her when she doesn't know all that you've done?

An easy journal question could be "List all my current triggers" or "What is the most painful aspect of this whole PA thing?" or "Do I want to save the marriage?" or "Will I ever be ready to talk to my husband about this?" etc.

Once she has answers to those questions and can talk more openly, I think you will be exposed to raw pain, and seeing her like that might evoke something in you.

Right now are you aware of how deeply this affects your wife? Have you seen her breaking down a lot? Has she ever used words to describer her pain (lots of us SO's have talked about a death of a thousand cuts, or like in Helping Her Heal, the uzi metaphor)?

Even in the Help Her Heal video he says that grief is an opportunity for you PA's to help. But how can you help and feel empathy if the SO never comes to you and open up or just hides and stuffs their feelings?

This empathy thing is a two way street, it takes two. If she allows herself to answer the tough questions, reflect, and have some acceptance with her feelings and triggers, she then can allow you in, and you will see the full extent of the damage, which hopefully you start to feel empathy ...

Make any sense? Or was I just rambling?

6. Jagliana

Jagliana Fapstronaut

This is exactly right. Until your wife, from her own words, from her heart - lets you know/hear her pain, you will not be able to feel it / empathize with her. @Wade W. Wilson asked me, during one of our talks to go through each of our d-days, from my perspective, in detail, how I felt - he wanted to know and hear it from me. He didn't like it but needed to know - that night changed a lot for him and how he understood my pain.

This is a good start, remember what I said - when @Wade W. Wilson first came to me with the idea of the chats, I was just an active listener - took a bit before I began talking back, then those chats bloomed into full-blown hourly discussions.

hope4healing and Jennica like this.
  7. TryingHard2Change

She does not have a journal that I am aware of--i.e. she is not on NoFap. I think she does have a Google Doc that she has written in in the past??

I have picked up on a few things that trigger her .. for example, there is this one restaurant that she won't go to anymore -- and she told me about a month ago that that was the restaurant where DDay, two times ago, occurred. I didn't remember that is where it happened, until she said that. And now, we'll never go back to that restaurant---WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE...but I was oblivious to that trigger.

My wife does not break down (she "normally" would or could..it's not that she has never broken down with me). She is holding inside of her all of the hurt and anger. She has told me, that she has A LOT of anger inside of her towards me .. and because of her Type 9'ness (The Mediator), her personality doesn't know how to process and work through the anger:
    ========================
    Focus of attention: Other people’s agendas and the external environment
    Speaking style: Nines are non-confrontational, friendly, other-focused and inclusive of both feelings and facts.

Type 9's:
    * I avoid conflict and want a comfortable solution
    * It's much easier to go along with others than to rock the boat

Psychology, Basic Proposition: You gain belonging by merging with others
    ========================
    (all of that is from the Enneagram website link above..it fits my wife to a T)

So yes, gaining more insight and understanding to how I have hurt my wife / how my PA actions have made her feel / how she is feeling --- that is difficult with how much she continues to hold everything in. But, I still can learn a lot through reading / through seeing other SO's stories on NoFap / etc.

The CSAT therapist and I are planning to do a Full Disclosure [finally] the first week in June....it corresponds with a break in my wife's masters classes -- and this disclosure has to happen..it's part of the process. So, that will be a major event..and I'm hoping it somehow helps my wife to open up more? (I don't want to do the full disclosure JUST to help me / make me feel better / etc.)

8. TryingHard2Change

Thanks @AnonymousAnnaXOXO .. my wife is reading a ton .. and goes to see our CSAT therapist every 2-3 weeks or so. She learned A LOT in the Betrayal Bond book by Carnes (our CSAT therapist gave it to my wife to read).

This is a good step for my wife..Jun - Dec 2017, she didn't really seek out much counsel or pursue reading anything .... she "turtle'd up" and just kept super busy with life. About 6 weeks ago, our CSAT therapist telling my wife, "YOU need recovery too!" -- that opened my wife's eyes...and she is now engaged with this process of her own recovery and healing.

This weekend, she/we ordered 2 new books based on people's recommendations here:
    * Your Sexually Addicted Spouse: How Partners Can Cope and Heal by Barbara Steffens

* Facing Heartbreak: Steps to Recovery for Partners of Sex Addicts by Stefanie Carnes

9. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

I have both of these, they are very good. Hubby doesn't seem interested in discussing the subject right now so I'm going through them on my own.

10. TryingHard2Change

BOOK CLUB!!!!

EyesWideOpen and Jagliana like this.
  11. BetrayedMermaid

BetrayedMermaid Fapstronaut

TH2C, your wife is very different from me, I'd say opposite. You don't hear much from her regarding her triggers/ struggles and pain. My poor husband hears it ALL. He has said he wants to understand what he did to me (I think his counselor encourages this)... so I REALLY let him understand. He has seen me sobbing, hyperventilating and crying until my eyes are so swollen they can't even open. He has seen me so angry that I want to punch his face in. He has seen the aftermath of my anger shown on items that used to be precious and sentimental to me. I tell him many of my triggers, I let him know I can't even go out in public without a trigger if I see a cute girl.

He had a small inkling of the panic when he though I had used my "hall pass" that I granted myself... (I didn't, and don't really plan to), but he said his heart started pounding and he couldn't breath, had to go get out in the fresh air and walk... I told him that is how I feel every time a trigger happens... that gave him some empathy, maybe.

He also said in a very sad, sober voice, I can still hear your wails of pain.... I think he is referring to our counseling session where I totally melted down physically shaking and hunched over in the fetal position in my chair... so my husband is "lucky" that he doesn't have to guess what is in my heart, I vomit it all over him... very dramatically... because that's my personality I guess, I like to call it "passionate", but it's probably "dramatic", lol.

Your wife? I don't know, it's such a hard situation for you, you've been very patient, you have turned yourself around and you are a good husband, respecting her boundaries... and waiting.....

I've been reading this book Treating Trauma from Sexual Betrayal and it talks about "freezing" and I thought of you and your wife. (the act of not acting).. There is fight (me), flight (sometimes me), and freezing (your wife).... and it says freezing is common with sexual betrayal trauma. It's the freezing based trauma that prevents individuals from taking action... I'm quoting the book here... when were freeze in relationships, our (the SO's) lack of response is often seen as not caring...(I'm skipping a lot here).. the freeze survival response can also be activated when individuals feel helpless, and as if no matter what they do, they can't change the outcome.

I think maybe your wife feels this helplessness... "no matter what I do, it doesn't really matter, my spouse is going to act out anyway"... apathetic and hopeless. She doesn't know your progress, or doesn't trust it, which is very sad. I'm only 23% done with this book and I'm on Chapter 5 Discovery: The Painful Beginning... but I will let you know what I learn from the "freezing" trauma and how to break through it.

12. TryingHard2Change

Thanks.

13. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

I haven't read this book, but I totally identify with the freezing, though not to the extent as th2c's wife. But for me, instead of thinking, "It doesn't matter how I feel, he'll act out anyway," (although, there is that a little bit), rather it's, "It doesn't matter how I feel, it doesn't change anything that has already happened. What is the point in talking about my feelings about it?" He already knows somewhat, what he doesn't know he'll probably never understand anyway, and if I try to make him understand, it will more than likely just make him feel guilty for things that have already happened or that I'm trying to hold a grudge or throw it in his face. It's like, what's the purpose? I'll just get over it on my own.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    hope4healing likes this.
  14. TryingHard2Change

I think this is my wife...but the "can't change the outcome" is not in reference to me not changing / turning away from my PA activities---my wife has told me that she has confidence in me, that I will be part of the 5%-6% that do fully recover, etc.---I believe the "can't change the outcome" for my wife is more about whatever choice she makes (divorce or stay in the marriage)...my wife will not be happy.

That of course speaks to how miserable / unhappy my wife was in the marriage..without even fully realizing it.

The best analogy my wife gave me to describe that sentencd above..is my wife's childhood -- while in it, she remembers herself as having a good childhood, happy memories, good times. As an adult, she looks back and realizes how screwed up her family was / father was/is an alcoholic, mother had some mental issues, etc. Of Course she was neglected as a child..most of her childhood....but growing up in it, she didn't realize it. Similarly, our marriage--while we were in it..the first 5 years / first 10 years / first 15 years....it all seemed great--super great...all of our friends thought we had the best marriage. The last 5 years or so...it started to unravel (or I should say reality set in).....so given all of that, my wife's two options (divorce or reconcile) BOTH feel like losing propositions...therefore, freeze.

hope4healing and BetrayedMermaid like this.
  15. ItsNeverTooLate

ItsNeverTooLate Fapstronaut

So to answer your question maybe try investing in what a Mediator needs.

Relating to Nines
    • Ask them what they want and need, and give them time to discern the answer.
    • Avoid coming on too strong, getting impatient or creating pressure.
    • If you sense they are reluctant or unsure about something they said “yes” to or agreed to do, let them know that it’s ok to say “no.”
    • Encourage them to determine their priorities and support them to take action
    • Stay present to them when they are angry.
    • Share body-based activities such as walking, exercising, cooking or eating.
    (Taken from the link you provided above)

My job just took part in something like this. People similar to Nines were called “Harmonizers” with our test. The people in this group that I work with all agreed that it takes a lot for them to be trusting & vulnerable with someone, especially since most of their time is spent toward making sure they have proven themselves trustworthy of others confidences. So when they find someone they rely upon to open up to and believe that person genuinely cares for them it’s a big deal. Faith and trust are not taken lightly by a Harmonizer. And if that is broken, so is their confidence in their judgement of believing someone could care so much for them to put them first the way they put everyone else before themselves. They rely upon authenticity and believe strongly in their morals so when someone goes against that, they don’t know how to or don’t want to deal with that. This doesn’t mean it’s impossible to change their point of view after betrayal but you really have to go above and beyond to reestablish the connection you broke. Afterall, they have gone above & beyond to prove their trustworthiness, they only are asking for the same in return.

Me? I’m not a Nine or a Harmonizer btw. Loyal Skeptic(6) and Achiever here. :)

hope4healing likes this.