1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I Still Don't Get It

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Fighting Axeman, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Fighting Axeman

Fighting Axeman Fapstronaut

It’s not scary reaction that’s the fear. It’s the more pain and agony that I think will be caused, that’s the fear.

Jennica likes this.
  2. BetrayedMermaid

BetrayedMermaid Fapstronaut

I wish that “fear” would’ve stopped you from lying in the very beginning.

3. Fighting Axeman

Fighting Axeman Fapstronaut

I know that part of my recovery is understanding where I have been. This forum has helped me see where hurt SO’s and PA’s who are working on themselves are at in thier journeys. These stories have helped in my recovery and understanding what I have done to my SO. But I have also learned that this forum isn’t the only place I need to be to beat this addiction. I also need to be around people who aren’t hurting and recovering. Those who can see me in a healthy light and offer insights to help me in my journey. Why do I write this post, because I want to encourage us to seek other forms of healing besides among the broken and sick. Come here to understand, to learn, to encourage but don’t stay here. Find hope and healing in places that we can have rest and solace.

Torn, TheMightyQuinn, Jennica and 2 others like this.
  4. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

Thank you for writing this. I read this earlier in the day .. and it really help me to reset / refocus.

I've been thinking something somewhat similar: I've been thinking about the past / the present / and the future ... how much time and energy and focus should I be thinking about the past / the present and its current situation because of failures in the past / the future, meaning what I do today, tomorrow and beyond.

I DO think it's important to understand past failures and understand how those failures continue to hurt people around me today. So I cannot lose sight of those difficult realities.

BUT, I cannot focus on _only_ that. I must, at the same time, lift my eyes to the present-future...to what I can do today/tomorrow/beyond to improve things, improve myself, make amends, etc.

Staying only fixated on the past and my past failures does not yield positive momentum for the future.

5. Hi @Fighting Axeman, what other places did you have in mind? I know what you mean. I have been going to SAA for around 8 years and it's the success stories that kept me coming back. Seeing other people thrive, live in peace, mend their relationships, etc gave me hope.

Admitting to the problem is the beginning but the solution doesn't start working until we have hope. In the rooms, I used to refer to that as "the chasm" between steps 1 and 2. I knew I had a problem but I didn't believe I could be helped. It's a terrible place of despair to be stuck in. So, how do I have hope? By seeing other people do it and following the blueprint they followed.

Peace,
    -Quinn