1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. DAY 38

POINT TO PONDER
    The Great Commission is my commission.
    VERSE TO REMEMBER
    "That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations." Psalms 67:2
    QUESTION TO CONSIDER
    What steps can I take to prepare to go on a short-term missions experience in the next year?

WE ARE AMBASSADORS
    Rick Warren

“We are Christ's ambassadors” 2 Cor. 5:20 (NLT)​

MY ROLE AS AN AMBASSADOR

1. ___________________

“Be sure that you live in a way that brings honor to the Good News of Christ.” Phil. 1:27 (NCV)
    “Live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” Eph. 4:1 (NIV)

2. ___________________

“I don't care about my own life. The most important thing is that I complete my mission, the work that the Lord Jesus gave me—to tell people the Good News about God's grace.” Acts 20:24 (NCV)

3. ___________________

Jesus said, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore go to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples: baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I will be with you always…” Matt. 28:18-20 (TEV)

4. ___________________

“If you call God your Father, live your time as temporary residents on earth…” 1 Peter 1:17 (GW)
    “… all that other people think about is life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives.” Phil. 3:19-20 (NLT)

MY RESPONSIBILITIES

1. ___________________

“People who do not believe are living all around you and might say you are doing wrong. So live such good lives that they will see the good things you do and will give glory to God…” 1 Peter 2:12 (NCV)

2. ___________________

“Anyone who is joined to Christ becomes a new person; the old is gone… All this is done by God, who through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the task of making others his friends also. Our message is that God was making all human beings his friends through Christ. God did not keep an account of their sins, and he has given us the message which tells how he makes them his friends.” 2 Cor. 5:17-19 (TEV)

“God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold the world guilty of its sins. And he gave us this message of peace. So we have been sent to speak for Christ. It is as if God is calling to you through us. We speak for Christ when we beg you to be at peace with God. Christ had no sin, but God made him become sin so that in Christ we could become right with God. We are workers together with God.” 2 Cor. 5:19-6:1 (NCV)

3. ___________________

“We loved you so much that we gave you not only God's Good News but our own lives, too.” 1 Thess. 2:8 (NLT)

“Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect.” 1 Peter 3:15-16 (TEV)

“Whatever a person is like, I try to find common ground with him so that he will let me tell him about Christ and let Christ save him. I do this to get the Good News to them and also for the blessing I myself receive when I see them come to Christ.” 1 Cor. 9:22b-23 (LB)

MY REWARD

“Whatever you do, always work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people. Remember that the Lord will give you as a reward the inheritance he has kept for his people. For Christ is the real Master you serve!” Col. 3:23-24 (TEV)

2. DAY 39

POINT TO PONDER
    Blessed are the balanced.
    VERSE TO REMEMBER
    "Live life with a due sense of responsibility, not as those who do not know the meaning of life but as those who do." Ephesians 5:15
    QUESTION TO CONSIDER
    Which of the four activities will I begin in order to stay on track and balance God’s five purposes for my life?

REIGNITING YOUR PASSION FOR GOD
    Rick Warren

Jesus said, “Love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.” Mark 12:30 (Msg)

With all your heart…

SEEK God passionately! Deut. 4:29
    LOVE God passionately! Deut. 6:5
    SERVE God passionately! Deut. 10:12
    OBEY God passionately! Deut. 30:2
    TRUST God passionately! Pr. 3:5
    Do everything passionately! Col. 3:23

“Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor.” Rom. 12:11 (NIV)​

A CHECKLIST OF PASSION-KILLERS

1. AN ___________________

It is senseless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, fearing you will starve to death; for God wants His loved ones to get their proper rest.” Ps. 127:2 (LB)
    “Take the time and the trouble to keep yourself spiritually fit.” 1 Tim. 4:7b (Ph)

2. AN ___________________

Each of you has been blessed with one of God’s many wonderful gifts to be used in the service of others. So use your gift well.” 1 Peter 4:10 (CEV)
    Each one should live his life with the gifts that the Lord has given him...” 1 Cor. 7:17 (Ph)

3. AN ___________________

“My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear... I am bowed down and brought low.” Ps. 38:4+6 (NIV)

4. AN ___________________

Resentment destroys the fool, and jealousy kills the simple.” Job 5:2 (NLT)
    “You are only hurting yourself with your anger.” Job 18:4 (GN)

5. AN ___________________

“Two are better than one, because… if one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!” Eccl. 4:9-10 (NIV)
    “Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together… but let us encourage one another.” Heb. 10:24-25 (NIV)

6. AN ___________________

“I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.” Isa. 49:4 (NIV)

7. AN ___________________

“Just as you trusted Christ to save you, trust Him, too, for each day’s problems; live in vital union with Him. Let your roots grow down into Him and draw up nourishment from Him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous…” Col. 2:6-7 (LB)
    You must worship only the Lord, for He is a God who is passionate about His relationship with you.” Ex. 34:14 (NLT)

THE PASSION OF JESUS

“Jesus showed Himself alive to them after His Passion by many demonstrations: for forty days He had continued to appear to them and tell them about the kingdom of God.” Acts 1:3 (NJB)

“Whoever is wise will remember these things and will think about the deep love of the Lord.” Ps. 107:43 (NCV)

“God showed how much He loved us by sending His only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through Him. This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.” 1 John 4:9-10 (NLT)

3. DAY 40

POINT TO PONDER
    Living with purpose is the only way to really live.
    VERSE TO REMEMBER
    "For David . . . served the purpose of God in his own generation." Acts 13:36
    QUESTION TO CONSIDER
    When will I take the time to write down my answers to life’s five great questions? When will I put my purpose on paper?

LIVING A PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE
    Rick Warren

BECAUSE I WAS.... MY PURPOSE IS TO:

1. Planned for God’s pleasure WORSHIP!

2. Formed for God’s family BELONG!

3. Created to become like Christ GROW!

4. Shaped to serve God SERVE!

5. Made for a mission BRING & GO!

5 QUESTIONS FOR A LIFE OF PURPOSE

1. WORSHIP: WHAT WILL BE ___________________ ?

“If your wealth increases, don’t make it the center of your life.” Ps. 62:10 (NLT)
    “Christ’s love has the first and last word in everything we do. Our firm decision is to work from this focused center…” 2 Cor. 5:14 (Mes)
    “Instead of worrying, pray… It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” Phil. 4:6-7 (Mes)

SELF-CENTERED or GOD-CENTERED?

2. FELLOWSHIP: WHAT WILL BE ___________________ ?

“Every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.” Gal. 6:10 (Mes)
    “Since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others.” Rom. 12:5 (NLT)
    “You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy it if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.” James 3:18 (Mes)

SPECTATOR or PARTICIPATOR?

3. GROWTH: WHAT WILL BE ___________________ ?

“For from the very beginning God decided that those who came to Him... should become like His Son.” Rom. 8:29 (LB)
    “In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.” Phil. 2:5 (NCV)
    Don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given. Complement your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love.” 2 Peter 1:5-7 (Mes)

COMFORT or CHARACTER?

4. MINISTRY: WHAT WILL BE ___________________ ?

My Ministry: Using my S.H.A.P.E. to help others.

God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God’s many kinds of blessings.” 1 Peter 4:10 (LB)
    “It is God Himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ago He planned that we should spend these lives in helping others.” Eph. 2:10 (LB)

Getting or Giving?

5. MISSION: WHAT WILL BE ___________________ ?

Bringing, Going,& Sharing my Life Message

Your lives are echoing the Master’s Word… The news of your faith in God is out. We don’t even have to say anything anymore—you’re the message!” 1 Th. 1:8 (Mes)
    “Live in such a way that you are a credit to the message of Christ...” Phil. 1:27 (Mes)
    “Life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus – the work of telling others the Good News about God’s mighty kindness and love.” Acts 20:24 (LB)

PROMOTING MYSELF or SHARING CHRIST?

4. DAY 41

POINT TO PONDER
    I cannot fulfill God’s purpose for me if I am envying others.
    VERSE TO REMEMBER
    "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30
    QUESTION TO CONSIDER
    In what areas of my life do I most often compare myself with and envy others?

LOVE DOES NOT ENVY
    Rick Warren

“Love does not envy.” 1 Cor. 13:4b (NIV)

Resenting God's goodness to others & ignoring God's goodness to me

“Wherever there is envy... you’ll find every kind of evil.” James 3:16

THE ANTIDOTE FOR ENVY
    Jesus’ Story of the Vineyard Workers (Matt. 20)

1. STOP ___________________ YOURSELF TO OTHERS.

“Those hired last came up and were each given a dollar. When those who were hired first saw that, they assumed they would get far more.” Matt. 20:9-10a (Msg)

2. START ___________________ God’s Grace to Others.

“The workers who had been hired first thought they would be given more than the others. But when they were given the same, they began complaining to the owner of the vineyard... He said, ‘Are you envious because I am generous to them?’” Matt. 20:10-11, 15b (CEV/NIV)

Rejoice with those who rejoice!” Rom. 12:15 (NIV)

3. BE GRATEFUL FOR ___________________

“Isn't everything you have and everything you are sheer gifts from God? So what's the point of all this comparing and competing? You already have all you need!” 1 Cor. 4:7b-8a (Msg)
    “It is better to be satisfied with what you have than to be always wanting something else.” Eccl. 6:9 (GN)

4. TRUST GOD WHEN ___________________

“These last workers put in only one easy hour, and yet you have made them equal to us – we who slaved all day under a scorching sun!” Matt. 20:12 (Msg)
    The Owner: "Friends, I didn't cheat you. I paid you exactly what we agreed on... What business is it of yours if I want to pay them the same that I paid you? Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money?” Matt. 20:13-15a (CEV)

5. KEEP FOCUSED ON ___________________ FOR YOU.

The Owner: Take your money now and go!” Matt. 20:14a (GW)

“Let us run with patience the particular race that God has set before us.” Heb. 12:1 (LB)
    “You saw me before I was born and scheduled every day of my life before I began to breathe.” Ps. 139:15 (LB)

Jesus concluded:"And so it is, that many who are first now will be last then and those who are last now will be first then... If you want to be great, you must become the servant of all the others.” Matt. 20:16 & 26 (NLT/CEV)

5. DAY 42

POINT TO PONDER
    Happiness is my choice. I don't need anyone's approval to be happy.
    VERSE TO REMEMBER
    "Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me." Psalms 27:10
    QUESTION TO CONSIDER
    Whose opinion matters most to me? Whose approval am I living for?

OVERCOMING THE FEAR OF REJECTION

Rick Warren

Prov. 29:25 "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe."

1. WHAT THE FEAR OF REJECTION DOES TO US

* Allows others to manipulate us

* Causes us to conform to peer pressure

* Keeps us from speaking the truth

* Prevents us from giving and receiving love

* Causes shyness and loneliness

* Produces depression and unhappiness

* Silences our sharing about Christ

(Saul) "I sinned . . . I was afraid of the people so I gave in to them." 1 Sam. 13:23

". . . many believed in Jesus. But they would not admit it for fear of the Pharisees. . . . They were more concerned to have the approval of men than the approval of God." John 12:43-44 (Ph)

2. HOW TO OVERCOME THE FEAR OF REJECTION

* Put ___________________ in first place.

"The Lord is my Light and my Salvation. I will fear no one." Ps. 27:1 (GN)

"Save me from the insults I fear . . . I want to obey Your commands . . . . Show me how much You love me, Lord. Then I can answer those who insult me." Ps. 119:39-42 (GN)

"For yourself, concentrate on winning God's approval. . ." 2 Timothy 2:15 (Ph)

* Put ___________________ in their place.

"The Lord says, `I am the one who strengthens you. Why should you fear mortal man who is no more enduring than grass?'" Isa. 51:12 (GN)

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Gal. 1:10

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Rom. 8:31

The Truth: ___________________

* Put ___________________ in the proper place.

"You (God) made man inferior only to Yourself; You crowned him with glory and honor." Ps. 8:5 (GN)

". . . Through what Christ did not us, He decided to make us holy in His eyes, without a single fault -- we stand before God covered with His love." Eph. 1:4 (LB)

"It is not self-commendation that matters, it is winning the approval of God!" 2 Cor. 10:18 (Ph)

"Even if my mother and father forsake me, the Lord will receive me." Ps. 27:10