1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Watching "Try Not To Laugh" videos as a way of strengthening my inner self

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Nate1879, May 27, 2018.

1. Nate1879

Nate1879 Fapstronaut

Most of my life I have been a big laugher. People knew they could get me to laugh any time they wanted by making silly noises and jokes.

While it seems innocent on the surface, I have identified that it is completely connected with inner strength in the face of others. My inability to stand up to my deranged father and not being able to not laugh when my friends tried to make me, they are the same thing. The same muscle of choosing the truth within myself rather than caving to what others around me want me to do.

I've found it helpful to use "try not to laugh" challenges on yoututube as a way to build this muscle. I'm sharing this in case it's helpful to others.

_Xavier_ likes this.
  2. Cuddywater

Cuddywater Fapstronaut

Holy shit I face this problem as well. To a point where i dont even know what i find funny anymore. i used to just laugh when people expected me to just to get accepted.

Nate1879 likes this.
  3. Nate1879

Nate1879 Fapstronaut

I'm pretty sure that the same mental muscles needed to not go with the flow in life in general are used for this. I notice how the big dogs, the strong people, have control over not just their laughter, but their responses. If they don't agree with someone, they won't just nod their head and be a yes machine.

I found it helpful to put up 2 middle fingers while watching Pewdiepies don't laugh videos, seems to activate the "don't give a fuck" part of me lol.

_Xavier_ likes this.
  4. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

I do this a lot too. It definitely doesn't serve me to do the laugh. I think it relates to mom or dad being mad or emotionally manipulative if you don't laugh at their jokes or approve of doing what they want to do. I bet it has to do with shame. I don't even remember right now though. Oh yeah, I remember being a joke punching bag for my mom. She used to try to embarrass me on purpose in front of people. Maybe it is related.

Thanks for posting this it has me thinking. I'm going to start asking myself, "What would have happened if I hadn't laughed at that joke?" and similarly for the yes machine stuff.

When you were growing up did you fear the consequences of voicing your disapproval of what your mom or dad wanted you to do? I'm thinking of their artificial consequences like rage and hitting. For me it was not going to church that I remember most clearly. I got the rage from my dad whenever I said I didn't want to go. So I had to submit, what could I do as a little kid?

Deleted Account and Nate1879 like this.
  5. Nate1879

Nate1879 Fapstronaut

Wow, I'm coming from the exact same thing. My Dad couldn't handle when anyone disagreed, and he would get into a rage and guilt trippy if you didn't do what he wanted. The result was the same for me, a childhood where I had to abandon my true self because it just wasn't safe. He would also make snide remarks about us when company was over as a way of making himself look better.

He tells jokes all the time, and looks to me to laugh and approve of them. For 20 years I fake laughed, and fake smiled.

Growing up I hated him more than anything. Truly. And the results of a childhood where my authenticity and self confidence were steamrolled have been tragic. I'm 27, and I am now finally closing the circle, and making the correct decisions that I couldn't make 20 years ago. I've finally stood up to him, and he crumbled like a cardboard wall.

I'm finally connecting to my true self, so I'm excited about life ahead of me.

And you know what's the most ironic thing? I have more sympathy for him than ever. He didn't do those things because he was evil. He did it because he HAD to, because his self worth was non-existent, and he is full of fear, and self doubting. I know he had a worse childhood than I did, horrible parenting that left him deeply scarred. And he doesn't even have the luxury of the self awareness that I have now. Makes me want to cry.

The best thing we can do is the difficult and scary work of reclaiming our true good selves. This will do the most good for us, and our hurt parents.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

It is amazing how we develop as children and learn so quickly to avoid those imposed consequences. The very actions that were necessary for our survival in childhood become our chains in adulthood. Although I like to think of those chains as rope and I have a small knife.

I'm very sorry about that. It sounds terrible. I had trouble with both parents. My mother would yell that she hated me right before bed for not doing what she wanted. There was a viscous rage in her face. I don't speak to my dad. He is beyond saving and thinks everything he does is right and good.

These things come from evil places man. I remember weeping for my dad and the whippings he got as a small child. You make a very good point about the self worth and fear. I think mine has a similar issue.

I think your father as a child was an innocent human being that did not deserve a single bit of it. And I want to ask the tough questions. What makes one evil? If a man murders someone, is he evil? Was he evil before that point? or after? What if he beats someone close to death? What if that man spent almost 20 years keeping a child in torment, directly and indirectly through the consequences of his actions? If he tortured his own flesh and blood through childhood with humiliation, soul-crushing indifference to his preferences, and sacrificed his emotional well being for some inconsequential fucking social approval and that shit follows his child almost everywhere he goes into adulthood, at what point does he become evil? I will tell you this. Empathy disappears quickly when you do this kind of stuff to children. And it doesn't come back. But I think our fathers' empathy were lost long ago when they slowly lost the ability to self-empathize as the abusers told them "you are worthless." And it became solidified in their mind as truth. In order to avoid the truth about what was done to them - the pain - they turned into the very people that created them and told us "I love you son" to wish all the shit they did away in a fairytale make belief bullshit story of love.

I gotta tell you man. I bet you have a hard time knowing if people are taking advantage of you or not. Just like I have struggled with. I have respect for you and your level of self-knowledge and intelligence, and I have to tell you man to man, fuck that evil motherfucker. Not to mention the woman who chose to give him kids that he could abuse in such a horrible way. It was like an evil incubator of pain for you for 18 years! Instead of preparing you for a great adulthood you are still patching the wounds your parents gave you at age 27! If we do not call evil by its name, it thrives, eats us alive, and it spits us back out as corrupted evil people. Just as our fathers (and mothers) experienced.

I hope you understand my respect for you as a human being. I would not respect you if I had anything good to say about your father's choices as an adult as well as your mother's partner choices. We all have a choice whether or not we were caged and beaten. The sympathy you have is not for your father in my opinion, it is for your father as a child and for yourself as a child, just as I cried for my 6 year old father and what I could have had with him. I suggest holding onto that self-empathy that you may have in there. By accepting your father, you reject your childhood experiences and emotions and will follow a similar path very likely. If you reject your father, you accept yourself and your past emotions and experiences and will see the evil and continue your path of growth.

I really appreciate what you have shared. My mind is spinning probably too much and I'm solidifying some decisions I'm making currently. This is all just my opinion, but I think it makes sense. I have included some books that I found very helpful in my own journey and I would like to hear what you think. If you are not already prepared to kill me lol
    Book #1 - http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.co...yranny_of_Illusion_by_Stefan_Molyneux_PDF.pdf
    Book #3 - http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.co...Time_Relationships_by_Stefan_Molyneux_PDF.pdf

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. I don't know of any such problem..
    I sure have laughed at wrong moments, but then I haven't laughed when I should have..
    But it's interesting to see what you guys have gone through..and made some wise decisions as well..

Nate1879 likes this.
  8. Nate1879

Nate1879 Fapstronaut

You really understand, I've never met someone who had such similar experiences.

First of all, it sounds like you went through hell, and I applaud your courage and effort to get where you are now. Alot of people don't make it out of the darkness and self loathing, never realizing it's a lie they are believing from childhood.

I do not accept my father or his actions at all. I condemn them as completely unacceptable.

But the truth is that I have hurt people too, because of my pain. I am not as messed up as my Dad, and haven't done what he has done. But I know clearly that I hurt people as a result of my childhood experiences. I never meant to, but I did. And each day that I choose to give the good effort and grow even more, I become more a source of love and beauty for myself and others.

I understand how wrong what my Father did was, but I don't say that he is evil. The only way I can blame him is if he had the chance to work on himself, and took the easy way out and stuffed it under the rug instead. But only God knows whether that is true or not.

I have sympathy for my Father even now. If there are things I could not possibly have been aware of until I was 25, then isn't it possible that he is still not aware of them at 55? We are all different, and I cannot judge whether he's right or wrong, only that what he did was wrong 1000%.

I know for a fact that when he told me as a 12 year old to get out of his house, and that he didn't want his kids around me, it was his crazy fear that led him to say that, a fear that most normal people don't have. I was flunking school(because of his actions), and he (fearfully) thought I was buying drugs. My point is not to explain away wrongdoings. It's just that, I can't deny the truth that my Father is a hurt person who is in more need of love than even I. He is a hurt child who never got over his past. My grandparents had an F'd up household. And for me to call him evil, and be mean to him forever, well that would make me damn evil myself.

I don't know your parents, and it sounds like they don't deserve much more than a middle finger and goodbye, so you don't have to draw comparisons, our parents are different people.

The only thing that matters is what I do from here. MY choices to set right that great wrong, as well as remove the side effects of sex reliance from myself. And my choices to stand for the greatness I see within myself, and make it a reality.

And the same for you. There is a whole world of beauty and possibility waiting for you and I to become who we're meant and capable to be.

Effort. Willingness to do the hard work, and not take the easy road of medicating problems away. I think that is what makes the difference between allowing the past to be repeated through us, or creating the beautiful world we see in our hearts.

P.S. I'm definitely going to check out those books you attached.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    _Xavier_ likes this.
  9. I miss being able to laugh and tell jokes I mean I used to be very funny, but I don’t find as many things funny sadly I really miss being able to tell a good joke or listen to one but I don’t know how to improve my sense of humor any advice?

_Xavier_ likes this.
  10. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

I appreciate your response. I found out the hard way that my parents don't want to change nor do they acknowledge the evil they did as wrong. For that reason, I call them evil and I look for good people to replace them with. I have a very difficult time with that and have been severely depressed about it, but I have gotten through it and see an inkling of a bright future. With the help of those books and the guy's podcast I have a better moral understanding of love and relationships, but little practice. If you are up to it, feel free to write about the books here. I'm sorry this is a rushed response.

Nate1879 likes this.
  11. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

Think less about it. I'm in the same boat I think. Yesterday I was just kind of enjoying my day. Changed my mindset a little bit to a more humble and satisfied self and made a few people that I don't know laugh for the first time in a long time.

Sorry this isn't more detailed.

12. Nate1879

Nate1879 Fapstronaut

I'm going through the Relationship book. Such good wisdom. Honestly, I feel so lucky that I get to read and absorb stuff like this. I think how many people are stuck in the destructive loop that he talks about, and they just don't know. Reading is such an immensely powerful opportunity.

_Xavier_ likes this.