1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Distract yourself in a perplexing puzzle.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 29, 2018.

1. There were 2 shop owners. Shop A sold cigarettes and Shop B sold bread. A man walked over to Shop A and asked the owner for the $10 cigarettes, the man pulled out a $100 note to pay for the item when the owner said he did not have change for a $100 note, so the owner of Shop A popped down to the bread maker of Shop B and gave him a $100 note in exchange for $100 in change.
    He went back to his shop and successfully sold the cigarettes to the man. The bread maker then ran down and said this $100 note you gave me is a fake, upon closely examining it himself he apologized for his error, took back the fake note and gave the bread maker a real $100 note.
    How much money did the owner from Shop A lose?

A41:14A likes this.
  2. foremily

foremily Fapstronaut

My answer is, $0. Shop A had that fake note the whole time, so he didn't lose anything, at most he only found out one of his $100 bills had been fake this whole time.

And, no, it wasn't the customer's note--not the way the riddle was worded.

3. If the owner has good morality, then he lost $100. If not, then $0.

4. Nobody has gotten it right yet. You must pay attention to the tiny and seemingly trivial and unimportant yet required details.

5. foremily

foremily Fapstronaut

6. GigglingTrout

GigglingTrout Fapstronaut

7. $190+$10 of cigarettes? If the fake $100 was from the original buyer he lost $90 giving that in change plus another $100 to the bread maker and gave away $10 worth of cigarettes.

8. You got it! $200 all together - I commend you dear sir.

9. Wasnt the hundred dollar bill from the guy who bought the cigarettes?......if so the shoo owner doesnt lose out because he takes that same hundred (that isnt his to begin with) gets change for it and gives it to the customer. Therefore, since it didnt come out of his pocket, he only lost the hundred he gave away after finding out it was fake.....In case that isnt clear, let me put it another way. Since the hundred was from the customer, he the shop keeper was just an errand boy for a transaction between the customer and the other shop keeper, giving the customer back change that was never his. Its the same as if the customer himself would have gone to the other shop to get change.

Im probably missing something, but thats how i see it.

Moon Shot likes this.
  10. I was wrong. I have been bested. The cigarette store owner gave a fake note - Therefore: $0 and Mr Cigarette gained a real $100 note, he sells the cigarettes which cost 10$, by giving the buyer $90 and taking $100, therefore adding up to $110, the bread man asks for a real $100 note in compensation for his fake, leaving a gain of $10.
    A simplification: 0 + 100 = 100. 100 - 90 + 100 = 110. 110 - 100 = 10.