1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats Your Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Hey everybody, whats your favorite book? Im partial to the classics myself, so im gonna say..Wuthering Heights. The movie versions always suck, but the book is very deep and moving. The ultimate tragic romance.

2. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Oooh... Finally a book discussuion! I dont have any fav. But I am copy pasting a ist of a few from a book club thread that failed. :p

Anyways, I'm open to recommendations in clean, mystery books, fantasy, realistic fiction, historical fiction, fiction fiction, yada yada- virtually, any genre, provided it isn't lewd, obviously slangs are part of life, but sometimes authors overboard like that holy terror 'The Catcher in the Rye.' - I love reading, I hate this book. Maybe your opinion is different, let me know. What are your thoughts on 1984? I like it, not as an assignment, but that one chapter tho... I'm just listing some of my favourites- some are rather kiddish, but I don't really care, so let me know if you agree, disagree, have read, have not read, interested, not so vice versa these titles (not in any significant order):

1) Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine-realistic fiction
    2) Hatchet by Gary Paulsen-realistic fiction
    3)1984 by George Orwell alias Eric Blair-Dystopian prophesising, I say Science fiction
    4)What if? by Randall Monroe- Non-fiction, humorous
    5)The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- Historical-fiction
    6)To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- Realistic Fiction
    7)The Hobbit by you-know who-you-know-what
    8) Any books by P.G Wodehouse- Pure humour genius
    9)Any books by Agatha Christie, Stephen King, John Green, Ishiguro etc.

Currently reading LOTR, I know a bit late, but I'm confident that it will be in the list.

Shawniac likes this.
  3. Shawniac

Shawniac Fapstronaut

Theodore Boone series by John Grisham is my Favorite. I even like war classics though.

4. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Whats the genre?

5. Shawniac

Shawniac Fapstronaut

It's law fiction

Moon Shot likes this.
  6. I love mystery stories. Agatha Christie would be my favourite. Frederick Forsyth is good, too. I once read a book of short stories by him called No Comebacks which was excellent. It is a 1982 collection of ten short stories. Each story takes place in a different setting and ends with a plot twist. Several of them involve a central male character without any apparent strength who is put under pressure, but who does not give in. Penthouse Magazine reviewed the collection by saying: "Quite possibly the most entertaining collection of short stories currently making the rounds."

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Wow you seem pretty excited about this. Im not quite sure im the right guy because i do read, but not a whole lot. Im pretty selective and like i said, i mainly read classics. I havent read a lot of the ones on your list, but i have read to kill a mockingbird, the hobbit (one of my favorite books of all time, i grew up on it. I read it for the first time when i was 12 and ive read it two more times since. Ive watched the 1977 animated hobbit since i was born practically and i can quote most of it from memory lol) and ive read the lord of the rings which i didnt like as much as the hobbit although i think im alone in that opinion. I thought it was too dark and deep whereas the hobbit was fun and adventurous.

Another book i really enjoyed although it may seem a bit kiddish (not that you mind) is the secret garden. I really love that book. I also like Jane Eyre a lot (i like dark period romances) and the horror stories of edgar allen poe. I think poe is a master at subtle terror, he never over does anything, hut his stories are so unique and strange that they seem real because nobody would make up those things.

8. Giuoco

Giuoco Fapstronaut

Not sure I have a particular favourite title; but Michael Lewis is probably my favourite author. I struggle to put his books down. Moneyball, Flash Boys and Liar's Poker spring to mind.

The best book I've read recently is the biography of Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance.

@Moon Shot 1984 is a weird book. It's a fantastic piece and kind of scary that (especially in today's political climate) it's all a bit too real. Have you read any of Orwell's other work?

9. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Wow, hobbits is a common then :) Ive heard much praise for the secret garden.Watched a movie adaptation. Its really nice

10. Shawniac

Shawniac Fapstronaut

I have read To kill a mockingbird . It's a masterpiece.

11. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Indeed. :) The sdqual is not so great... But this is just beautiful.

Shawniac likes this.
  12. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

I agree with the 1984 point you made. All the books that you and others have said that I have not read, I will do so. :)

13. Real classy bro lol

Moon Shot likes this.
  14. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

:emoji_confounded::emoji_laughing:

15. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

The Power of One by Bryce Courtney. The closest a book has come to making me cry.

Moon Shot likes this.
  16. For classics, Pride and Prejudice.

Otherwise, my new favorite is The Savior's Champion, by Jenna Moreci. I literally just finished reading it like an hour ago. It was so fantastic. Definitely some triggering scenes, though. But dang, such amazing writing and a captivating story. I already feel like I want to read it again soon, to catch all the little things I missed the first time around.

17. I like pride and prejudice too, i also really like sense and sensibilty....Have you ever seen the 1995 pride and prejudice movie? Its way better than the newer one in my opinion. Its longer and more faithful to the book.

18. The one with Colin Firth? Love it! I haven't seen the new one, actually. I'm not really a fan of either of the main actors they chose for Elizabeth and Darcy.

19. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

Movie? It was a miniseries wasn't it? Or was it edited down Stateside?