1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing people to be interested vs allowing others to decide for themselves.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by elevate, Jun 30, 2018.

1. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

The more we try to make others love and accept us, the less they will, and more importantly, the less we will love and accept ourselves.

One guy always talks proudly of his wealthy family. All the vacations, cars, boats, houses, and extravagant activities. Always talks about past stories that tries to paint a picture of how awesome he is. Always showing pictures on his phone of his wealthy life. Whenever someone talks about something they're going through or experienced, the guy always has something to 1 up them on that topic. Very self centered and puts in a lot of effort to make those around him validate him.

Another guy rarely talks about himself unless asked about. He has a great way of making the moment fun and carefree. No matter who he's with, where he is, and what they're doing. Great listener and always takes an interest in others. He's joyful and brings that joy to those around him. He doesn't like to talk about past stories because he's more concerned about enjoying the moment with the people he's with in that moment. Opposite of the guy above, he aims to collaborate and share with others rather than self centeredly trying to 1 up everyone else.

Guess which one people like to be around more.

soothyeller and tweeby like this.
  2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

This reminds me of the 'I' vs 'YOU' mentality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Pennebaker

Pennebaker's discovers that those who overuse "I" tend to have lower status. This is obvious. Leaders are busy with the tasks of all the "you's" in his group(s) and low level workers only need to deal with themselves. However, leaders don't use "you's" because they're in power positions. Leaders simply have used "you's" all their lives. They were always concerned with others. They were thinking about the group, its dynamics, and its progress. It is these habits that bring 'leaders' into leadership positions. ("Self Conscious" is his issue)

Pennebaker has confused cause with effect. His letter samples are interesting because in his enthusiasm over counting the "I's" and "you's", it seems he forgot to read the letters:

1. Regardless of their status level, most people will write many "I's" when asked to write a 'favor letter'. This is simply due to the popular usage of the English language: "I am asking" . . . "I would like to invite you". . . "I would love it if " . . . ."If there is anything more I can do". . . "I am hoping."

2. Regardless of their status level, most people will write many "you's" when replying to 'favor letters' . . . again, simply due to the way we use language: "Thank you." "Nice to hear from you." . . .

Now here's when the rules change. Extremely low status, powerless people will almost always turn both 1 & 2 into "I Letters" whereas extremely high status, powerful people will turn both 1 & 2 into "You Letters". They might do this unconsciously, as Pennebaker assumes, but others will consciously and even painstakingly revise communications to a "you approach". Why? It's because they know that a 'you letter' is usually better received than a "me letter'. They know that a 'you letter' has a higher likelihood for compliance for whatever it is that they are trying to convey. They know that a 'you letter' tends to create deeper connections. The higher status that naturally comes from accomplishing these things well on a regular basis is if anything, an afterthought.

On the other hand the "I" people only care about status but fail to realize that their habits are counterproductive to what they are trying to achieve. Ironical . . .

^^
    The takeaway, those of you who overuse 'I' tend to be selfish EGOTISTICAL liars. Those who overuse 'YOU' and 'WE' are concerned for those around them. Go ahead and do a search on these forums and you will find millions of dipshits using 'I . . .I . . . I, me, me,me'

It's all about them and that's it, that's why they won't get very far in their journals, however, everyone has a chance to change.

Deleted Account and elevate like this.
  3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Another thing to muse over.

Ever wondered how some people just get everything? Like they attract wealth, status and desirable partners.

Now those in the KNOW will understand at a deeper sub conscious level this occurs because THESE people are GIVERS.

Those who are NOT in the KNOW, will find this concept rather complexing / confusing.

Wait, I have to GIVE to RECEIVE, but wait . . . what if I don't ever receive anything???

Nonsense, if you are a GIVER , then you will naturally be a RECEIVER. It is simply the natural course that the universe will afford once you dedicate yourself to this path.

So if you are a selfish motherfucker who only looks out for your own self needs, perhaps you don't even see it, go ahead and change your frame of reference.

Start GIVING and see where you end up?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    elevate likes this.
  4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

@tweeby dropping deep knowledge.

Awesome and interesting stuff.

When you're focused on giving, you're reinforcing the belief that you have more than enough to share. That you're thriving and expanding rather than living in scarcity where you have to protect and cope with what little you have. Giving allows you to focus on what you do have and what is working in your life rather than what you lack and what isn't working. This leads to being more fun, carefree, and passionate in life. It allows you to be at your best state. It allows you to fill your own cup and overflow into the cups of others. You feel joyful and you share that with others via emotional transference. When you focus on what you do have and what is working, your mind tends to filter reality to allow you to see all the evidence that you have more than enough to give and that you continue to receive more. It all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe you have to keep everything to yourself and be self centered because there's not enough to go around, that's the evidence your mind will filter and focus on.

In this forum there's many threads that say "this is my story" and they proceed to write a novel of all the things that they don't have and aren't working. They're very focused on themselves and quite miserable. Compare that to the people who take the time to give quality advice and support. They have the energy of someone that's thriving and expanding in life. Is it because they don't have their own share of problems? No, everyone has pain, problems, and negative experiences going on in their life. It's because they like to share, give, and overflow.

Keep thriving and expanding tweeby!

p.s. >>>>>>>>>>>> I <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< only used it once on this thread so far haha. =)

tweeby likes this.
  5. tweeby

tweeby Banned

god bless ya man, I love reading your posts too.

elevate likes this.
  6. soothyeller

soothyeller Fapstronaut

Lol. Do you always talk like a child wearing wings?

7. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Someone that talks with wisdom because he fucked up a lot and will continue to do so.

8. Found that people who parade their lives are never as happy as they claim to be. Facebook is a great example of people exaggerating their happiness as well as wealth but in reality a majority of em have insane loans as well as feel that they are not enough, depressed and so on, so many people brag to feel better about themselves. At the end of the day, we are all human and struggle with our problems.

Things might not always be as they seem to be.

But yes I stay away from people who are only interested in my ears.

tweeby and elevate like this.
  9. You can't force people to be interested in you. They either find you interesting and are drawn to you or they don't. Trying to hard attracts people who want to use or abuse you but it won't lead to any kind of real friendship or relationship.

10. A good person need not brag about how great they are. They simply are. Simple as that really