1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Don't People Care for Their Environment?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So there's been huge fires in Lancashire due to the heat and police helicopters spotted people starting additional fires. But people disregard for their environment isn't anything new. A few weeks ago I went for a walk in the forest near me and by the river, it looked like someone had a picnic and had left all the rubbish from the picnic there. Also, the number of times I've been in public toilets and people have left taps running. It's like people just don't care about their environment. Why do people do this? I mean what's so hard to take your rubbish home or turn off a tap? And I don't why on earth someone would start addition fires! This sort of thing drives me crazy!

2. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

I know what you mean. A month ago I was walking alone a bush track near my property. The entire area was thick, untamed state forest. With the exception of a single dirt road the area was unspoiled, not even the countries aboriginals had inhabited that area. I stumbled upon a large pile of trash from a barbecue. Empty meat packs, premix cans, utensils and rotten clothing was scattered. It made me sick. I went through the rubbish and located a business shirt with an address and phone number, I called this number and managed to track down the likely culprit responsible.

Made a fake facebook account and messaged him saying that he had a random amount of time to clean up the rubbish before he called the police.

3. Funny you should bring this up. Just the other day I decided to go down to the river and have a beer and take a few casts. I got down to the rivers edge and started fishing when I started to notice peoples litter all around the riverbanks. I started fuming and remembered that I had spare garbage bags and gloves from work in my car. I put down my fishing rod and decided to spend the rest of the time picking up other people's trash. I was pretty much able to fill the bag. I gotta say it felt really good and it's something that I will make a habit of and I think other people should think about that the next time they're out and about and notice garbage in the environment. I know from now on I will keep spare trash bags and gloves in my car.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

Narcissist self absorbsion/self obsession. They are the only thing that matters.

Brain-Police, Deleted Account and CyV like this.
  5. CyV

CyV Fapstronaut

In a vast universe this is beyond imbecile. The only thing? And an atom in such people should go back to the molecular furnace of creation to try again.

Science deprivation makes people feel like they are important on a level they just are not. Importance is derived from having a mind that can do the greatest good for as many people as possible.

Contentful T likes this.
  6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Because people think we can magically go to another planet when this one gets trashed.

7. Because people who have no respect for life tend to not respect the environment around them.

8. Taylorel M

Taylorel M Fapstronaut

Because people don't take the issue seriously. Most environmentalist activists included. People have largely forgotten what nature even is. This is because those who live in industrially developed societies don't live in nature. They live in recycled nature. When a man looks around, he has no idea what the natural source of the objects laying around him are. She cannot tell you what plastic is made of. Or a computer. Or even the walls of a house, or the food we eat. It is the axis by which we turn, so it remains unquestioned in its function as "nature", since this is what we think we are using when we are using the props industry magically hands us, no matter how much that magic relies upon a scientific recycling of natural resources. It's not in our eyesight, so it must be magic, right?

I don't think it's just entitlement, though of course it doesn't help. But that's because it doesn't help anything. There's nothing specific about it to the lack of care over the environment. There is this notion that human beings, in their entitlement, raid on the planet like a disease. The suggestion being, that we are not really part of nature but that perhaps that we are aliens, or some supernatural entity like demons, or something. It's not rational. Rather, it's that we don't even think about nature.

People don't have enough plants in their homes. Get people to care about keeping one plant alive, and then maybe they can start thinking about the world next. They have to be connected to nature personally.

P.S. Not saying we should return to an agrarian society. Just making note of the loss of connection to nature, and in no way implying that we can not connect back to it while living industrially.

Deleted Account and KS1994 like this.
  9. Simply put most people think: Temporary Comfort/Convenience > Long Term Damage

10. People are selfish and like being comfortable

11. I think there are a lot of reasons.

1. Narcissism and not caring about others
    2. Laziness
    3. Limited thinking... a lot of people just dont think about the future that much and how their actions will effect things in the long term.
    4. The fact that things will not likely get out of hand until after we are long dead, so again, narcissism. We pass the problems along to the next generation.

However, in good news, the next generation is pretty freaking awesome at this. There are sooooo many people these days who care deeply about their environmental impact. Even a lot of companies are getting on board with trying to find sustainable, reusable, or biodegradable products to replace their garage. Its actually super encouraging to see.

I follow a Facebook group for people who want to be more "zero-waste" and its really cool to see all the videos people share of new innovations coming out that could replace a lot of what we throw away. And just individuals, as well, who are trying to limit their waste.

12. Alot of people operate in a straight up disfunctional state. Were now a few rounds deep with this kids being raised in a 1 parent household with no quality time or supervision so you have more people missing lessons on basic values, common courtesy, no self respect any no respect of others. Unless they end up getting values from somewhere else or learning on their own, you have a shitty future parent with no sense of dicipline who has no clue how to dicipline, impart any type of good values or any sense of responsibility on child and doesnt see the importance of doing so anyway. The end result is often a functional adult who thinks like a child and sees no reason why they should respect the environment or anything in it.

I also think some people don't worry because the so called powers that be continue to shit on the environment on such a large scale that it doesnt matter anyway. If I went hiking on some beautiful trail and saw someone leaving their trash Id be a little annoyed until I started thinking about the big stuff:
    -Governments having every option in the world for clean burning fuel and refusing to use it and filling our atmosphere with smoke.
    -Oceans you shouldn't even swim in or fish due to radiation from fukushima.
    -We actually have a mass of garbage in the ocean the size of a small continent.
    -Governments that allow oil companies to frack with no intentions of stopping them

Contentful T likes this.
  13. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

I was going to come here and post something, but I think it's already been covered by everybody here. Narcissism, no respect etc etc..

So I'll say it's also because people never think about things in the long run, only about what effects themselves in the short run. There are many examples, but no need to list them off.

Contentful T likes this.
  14. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

I for one do care. I suppose they are living blind to a certain extent.

I mean I care but not in like a tree hugger hipper dipper kind of way like the free spirits in the above video.

15. Because people don't know that their environment and them are one, opposite rather, which leaves us highly susceptible to greed and selfishness