1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we all agree that new video games for 60 dollars is a rip-off?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 2, 2018.

1. When new games come out, they will charge you 60 bucks for your Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo console. Video games nowadays are so expensive and they should be at least 35 or 40 dollars. How are you going to buy a brand-new game to experience something innovative for 60 dollars is just beyond mysterious.

Also, with all the DLCs before Game of the Year Edition/Complete Edition (known for having all the DLCs without paying extra money on them and they're free) come along, you still have to pay depends how much those downloadable contents cost you and the whole game will be like a hundred bucks. A hundred bucks for the whole stand-alone game with all the DLCs? Screw that crap! I would rather buy new games when they're on sale or the price went down or wait for a GOTY Edition. Paying a remaster of 5 years old game is also a rip-off but a cash grab.

I did own a few video games that cost me 60 dollars in the past 5 years and most of them are super hyped and well-made as long as they're done right (Forza Horizon 2 and 3, for example). Right now, I'm interested to see how $60 video games sell and I'm thinking people stop buying at that price range.

2. I mean, I'm always going to agree something should be cheaper, so on that principle alone, I agree with you.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  3. Games will always sell no matter the price it seems, while we seem to pay around £50 I know in Canada they're being sold at a bloody $80... Either way I can't afford them so I either wait for PSN's brilliant sales or the free plus games, because unfortunately they've moved into the realm of being an overly expensive luxury.

4. The reason for this is because consoles cost way more to make then the price they are sold for.
    Games are so high priced so they'll still make profit even though they are selling the consoles cheaper then it should be.

(Sorry for my english)

5. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

New video games have been priced at $60 since the mid-2000s. The reason why so many games these days are unfinished or lacking content out of the box is because $60 is not enough to turn a profit. The reason why free-to-play competitive online games are so popular is because you can spend what is virtually an unlimited amount of money on them with all their in-game items and whatnot.

6. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I don't have a problem paying $60 for a game that's worth it. My issue is when I play a game and find out it's not worth the money I paid for it. The last of us, the Bioshock series, and the metro games are all games that were worth my $60. What we need IMO is better quality games.

7. My husband only plays games on PC, and he usually waits until they're on a good sale on Steam. Unless it's soemthi ng new he's really excited for, then he can splurge a bit. But we don't do the whole buying the new version of every console when it comes out thing. He just keeps his computer really nice and up to date.

8. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I remember the price of N64 cartridges. You could sort of judge the price by the weight of the cartridge. I remember paying a pretty penny for Perfect Dark when it came out. It weighed a ton and you couldn't run it without an Expansion Pak.

I think some disk/digital games are worth it. Many are not.

9. My dad used to rent an N64 back in the day until he finally financed one, those were the days. Perfect Dark and Doom were my favourites on there, if I wasn't busy on the N64 I was usually on the 3D0.

LEPAGE likes this.
  10. Fausterity

Fausterity Fapstronaut

Try to stay out of the loop about new and upcoming games. That's what I do, I try to stay a year behind the times, so I only learn about games after they've been out for a while. Then I can buy them for $30 or less. They're new to me.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. 60 dollars for a high quality game is fair. The problem is trash games with unrealistic marketing without any way to demo them first. People spend far more money on things that they hardly use. You can get 1000s of hours of entertainment from a single game, which is a great financial bargain compared to other things that you would spend less time enjoying.

12. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

Exactly. If it's a well done game, like Breath of the Wild, Last of us, Witcher 3, etc, Im more than willing to pay 60 dollars. I bought South Park: The Fractured but Whole for the Switch full price and it is a Glitchfest.

Taylor25 and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  13. Gotham Outlaw

Sucks to hear that. I haven't had any problems with south park on xb1. I would definitely agree some games are worth the $60.

Taylor25 and ShotDunyun like this.
  14. $60 is way to much for me to pay especially with the shit quality games these console makers have the balls to put out. I rarely buy new games since I can find relatively new titles used at Gamestop. This is awesome as this gives me 7 days to sample and return the game with a full refund so when I take the game home and find out that its only half finished with all kind of glitches, loot boxes and pay to play content, I take that bullshit right back to game stop.

The last new title I paid full value for was for For Honor. The gameplay was original and the graphics were excellent but it was an online title and the matchmaking did not fucking work. The game was fucking useless. Thats what I get for trusting a bunch of greedy assholes who rebuilt their whole business model around scamming their customers. I'm pretty much over gaming and I cant see myself purchasing another console.

Taylor25 likes this.
  15. I tend to agree with you on some video games or every game in the series is/was worth 60 bucks, like Halo, Forza Horizon, Gears of War, and Mass Effect. Now those are high-quality games and very popular. If the stand-alone game has all the DLCs that cost you a total of fewer than 50 bucks before the Game of the Year Edition is just a no-no so I'll wait for that edition to play all the DLCs for free.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  16. pankeas

pankeas Fapstronaut

For the amount of money that goes into games, $60 is a fair price. Some games are definitely not worth $60. God of War (PS4), The Last of Us, Halo, Gears of War, GTA etc. are all examples of games that I would have honestly paid more then $60 for. Games like Knack, The Crew, Lego Marvel Avengers, etc. are games that I would have not paid $60 for. They did not provide a satisfying experience like the other games I mentioned above. If I buy a new game and I do not like it, then I just return it and get my money back. The best way to decide if you want to buy a new game for $60 is to find a game reviewer that you enjoy and agree with his or her views and see what they have to say about the game. I love Kinda Funny on YouTube so before I drop the $60 I'll see what they have to say about the game.

17. You have to understand inflation buddy. The US dollar loses 2% of it's value every year... Games have stayed around $60 dollars for a long time now. This causes a problem, the cost of production goes up, yet the industry is still sales at the same price. So they have to do tricks like dlc, micro-transactions, ect. Games should cost more than they do now, but because they don't they have to sell all this extra crap along with it. Let's just be grateful that game's cost has stayed at 60.

18. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Never paid $60 for a game in my life. Growing up, I waited years after a game would come out to seize the deal for reduced price on GOTY's. Now, I have a nice ethic of waiting patiently until summer and winter sales put games beneath the 50% off mark. Games are just interactive movies, to be honest. Never paid over $60 for a single movie, so why pay that much for a single game?

19. reborn999

reborn999 Fapstronaut

those are all games under 5buks, I got some of them for free, on xbox

20. Gotham Outlaw

I was refeerefe to when they were new. Obviously no one should pay $60 for a game from 2006.