1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

gym

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ALEX_88, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Calipso

Calipso Fapstronaut

I think that a gym is great place to distract yourself. Moreover it's a good way to keep fit. I started attending gym here in Coorparoo 'cause I wanted to lose some weight. I started to work on my body: regular diets and exercises. I lost 10 kg ( my weight was 79kg). I am still working and I found group classes very helpful. So all you need is to find the right motivation.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Deleted Account and ALEX_88 like this.
  2. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

I came here to say basically this. I was going to the gym a few years ago and didn't realize all the triggers that would be there. Like @_Xavier_ said, just be mindful when you go, keep focused on your task, watch where you let your eyes and mind linger.

Calipso likes this.
  3. Well gee, hasn't this thread turned into a goldmine since yesterday...

The distraction factor of the gym (as opposed to distractions at the gym) cannot be ignored. Developing a routine that includes gym work (even if you don't have a routine like me) is really helpful, and others will notice it long before you do.

GET OUT OF TOWN!!! I'm usually fairly cautious about my details on here, but a reference THAT close to home needs to be referenced. I'm in Windsor (yes, the one across the river), but spent many years in your part of town.

Impressive. I don't know exactly how heavy I was at the start of NoFap, but if we use my work medical as the baseline, I was 94.something kilograms as of April 2017. I didn't do anything notable until I started NoFap on March 2nd this year. After six weeks, as mentioned elsewhere, I realised that I'd have to join the gym just to deal with the excess energy. When my trainer weighed me on April 30 I was 77.7kg, and as of Monday last week I'm at 75.4kg. I have a goal of getting down to 62kg, but my trainer thinks we're going to hit a point soon where I won't lose 'weight' because it ends up being muscle. I'm apparently something called an ectomorph, which means I'm naturally skinny and have a hard time building muscle mass, but it can be done - just over a long time. People go on about summer bodies being made in winter - get back to me in summer 2019-2020 regarding a body.

Motivation is important, and each person's motivation is different. I really don't want to get into some of my motivations on this forum, given their of Adult Content Warning, but I'd like to be able to go back to parkour on a Saturday and keep up with the kids running around. My trainer is aware of this, and of some of my other goals, and likes that I seem to be motivated by myself to do things. It's gotten to the point where I have a number of programs written up and can do a mix of things throughout the week before I see her next.

Seriously, if you're going to join a gym, spend the extra money and hire a trainer while you're at it. Any reputable gym has trained professionals who are happy to help you achieve whatever your goals are. My previous gym experience stemmed from a lack of professional oversight and an inability on my part to ask for help. Fitness magazines are nice, but no substitute for a professional focused on you.

I am fully aware of the potential distractions. This morning it was Hot Tattooed Brunette #1 (there are several at my gym), although she's actually one of the trainers girlfriends (I think). It's nice that she's there, and I'd rather see her form than the guys who were there, but I'm pretty certain she didn't distract me during hammer curls. I think @_Xavier_'s case is little more full-blown than anything in my world. Aside from a brief conversation with a work colleague at the gym, and an occasional 'hi', women aren't noticing me. I'd like to say I felt bad for him, but, no... I don't. He's young and getting jacked, and I'm neither of those things. I say he should enjoy getting looked at, accept it, and include it as part of his world.

Calipso likes this.
  4. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

Hey there fellow ectomorph. I struggled with gaining muscle as well but in the past 7 month i gained +/-10kg. If you want to gain muscle you can do it!

5. I honestly never bothered trying to gain muscle, and as I've always been short, and was never attractive, learned hard that I just didn't pop up on women's radar. Years of rejection turned into decades, of the few relationships I ended up in not being very good. I put on a bit of weight. I've mentioned my numbers elsewhere, but my trainer (and a couple of the instructors of the class I try to take) have noticed changes in me. I don't see it, but they're trained professionals who I hope aren't blowing sunshine up my butt.

Apparently I might even have passable abdominal region one day, which should be nice.

6. nicetrybrain

nicetrybrain Fapstronaut

100% agree with the tiredness, especially with weightlifting. When I was focusing on getting stronger/better lifts on the bench, squat and deadlift 6x a week, after a gruelling session you physically cannot fap - your arms are dead, your legs are dead, your soul has been crushed by the workout along with any desire to masturbate. The only thing you want to do is sleep (and ofcourse, learn more about lifting and technique so you can get better at it). If it suits you I'd recommend adding some powerlifting exercises into your workouts.