1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoker's switching to Vaping

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Jamest007Bond, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jamest007Bond

Jamest007Bond Fapstronaut

Anybody on here a Smoker looking to finally be free from addiction aswell?
    I'm vaping 0 nicotine epicjuice "applejax" PG (propylene glycol) Tastes amazing.
    I have a eleaf "istick" new nano vape powerhouse up to 20w with a protank 2 by kangertech.
    I have went from 18mg to 0 gradually and have taken up running to try to destroy my habit, but I still crave and yearn for the real thing from time to time. Advice? tips? Talk vape with me! :cool:

2. teaandbiscuits

teaandbiscuits Fapstronaut

I tried those e-cigarettes for a while and for me it didn't really help and here's why.

I used to find that on a night out, I would maybe duck outside the bar 4 or 5 times for a smoke, but because you can use the electronic ones indoors I would actually end up just puffing away on it pretty much the whole time - probably the equivalent to like 15 or 20 cigarettes. And the other thing is, whereas if you go for a cigarette you know when it's finished, if you're happily puffing away on an e-cigarette and enjoying it, it's too easy to just keep on going.

I can't remember the name of the brand that I bought, but it was pretty good - good taste, good feeling - very similar to the real thing. So I'd recommend them to people who - let's say for example - if you work in an office where no one else smokes and you don't want to look bad by going outside on your own and coming back smelling of smoke, then have a couple of electric puffs to get you through the day will be cool.

But yeah as I say, my problem was that I probably ended up using the e-cig more than I ever used normal cigarettes.

3. SeekingClarity

SeekingClarity Fapstronaut

I know of a few people who I have met who said they eventually quit the habit altogether when they switched to vaping. It's more expensive in the short term, but pays off when you kick the habit entirely.

Best of luck to you!

4. beauty

beauty Fapstronaut

Be careful, most if not all electronic cigarettes have not been approved by the FDA. Just something to keep in mind.

5. Jamest007Bond

Appreciate the input! I hope to one day live a clean lifestyle it's a work in progress.
    Also I realize the FDA hasn't given a stamp of approval nor have doctors had enough time to see the long term effects, but it is definetly a step in the right direction 3-4 chemicals compared to 4000ish with 30-50 known poisions and the destruction of others in the vicinty anybody can see the potential lives it could save. If only I could stop wanting a real one when I go out and have a drink! =D

6. Gasparzinho

Gasparzinho Fapstronaut

Well, yeah, e-cigs don't work if you expect them to do all the work for you. You can't just buy it and then wait for your addiction to fade away on its own. You have to use it right, as a tool to get the minimal fix you need while you learn to pace yourself.

7. MattNoFap

MattNoFap Fapstronaut

The Fda approves a lot of stuff that harms us in the long run anyway, so it wouldn't necessarily be safe just because they approved it. If cigarettes are approved by them, why trust what they approve? I say do your own research first. And nicotine is addictive but isn't the chemical that kills, Your much better off getting vapor into your lung with 3-6 chemicals that aren't approved than 1000 that are that can kill you.
    Not to mention that inhaling smoke is bad for you chemicals or not.

Also we all know that the Fda rarely if ever approves safe and natural remedies that do a much better job at healing than drugs, It`s all about the money. I can go on about my personal experience with medication leading to reactions, and needing more medication. But that`s another story.

My suggestion is if you can quit the PMO habit, you can pretty much get the will to quit any habit.
    If you wanted to do it the Vape method for smoking, you would have to have rules on how many puffs a day you can have. You would also have to plan dates when to drop down to a lower content nicotine juice until the nicotine content is 0, and your physical craving is gone. It`s not going to be a walk in the park, some times you will be tempted and you`ll want to break. That is when you need to be the strongest.

Best of luck
    Matt

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. teaandbiscuits

You're totally right - I was just saying that personally I just found it far too easy to unfortunately slip into thinking "wow this feels almost as good as the real thing but less bad for you, let's go crazy", and subsequently be counter productive....

So I'm going cold turkey with the smoking. 2 days so far - feeling very strongly motivated and committed to continuing.

9. Jamest007Bond

Thank you Matt for your insightful and motivating words!

10. Jamest007Bond

I am also at the 2 day mark, I wish you luck my brother! One thing I personally do aside from vape is started paying a dollar for a cigarette whenever my friends or coworkers are around and the craving is overwhelming. It is a double edged sword on one hand you feel how disgusting it is to smoke after so long. And on the other it reignites your desire. So far I haven't bought a pack, that would be suicide for my quest. Anyhow do whatever works for you!

11. teaandbiscuits

I went out partying recently and I actually found I was able to go outside with the smokers (it was really hot in the bar) and relax and talk and be outside for 5 minutes without partaking in the smoking. Which for me, is a big achievement. AND, when I went back inside the bar after that, I could really notice how much the people who smoked really smelt - which I think can only really be noticed properly when you have the comparison between yourself and the other person (what I'm trying to say is, if you and a friend both smoke then you don't fully appreciate how much they stink because you stink as well. When they smoke but you don't, you really get the full effect of how badly they stink because you smell fine).

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm done with smoking now. I can't guarantee 110% that I won't ever fuck up - get offered one, say yes, instantly regret it - however what I can say with absolute honesty is that I really don't want to smoke or feel like smoking anymore. It's strange because I haven't been off them for that long. So yeah... I'm finding this surprisingly a bit easier than I expected.

How's it going for you, JB?

12. Jamest007Bond

You definitely have the right mindset, I can totally relate to the smelling other smokers a mile away after abstaining. It is quite the eye opener, and makes me wonder how I manage to live smelling that way to those around me for so long. Looking good only goes so far got to smell good too! :) I am trying to abstain I caved in and have to reset once again, It's like I want to quit so bad yet I keep entertaining the thoughts of how good it will feel to get that "1 last one". I need to seriously squash that tiny tempting voice inside that torments me with temptation. And get a no nonsense black and white view on this.

13. teaandbiscuits

I know other people will say that quitting means absolutely no cigarettes with no exceptions, however I personally prefer to view it a bit more like a fat person on a diet who maybe one day gives in and has a slice of cake - it doesn't mean that all the hard work was a waste of time - it just means you fell off the wagon briefly but you can still jump back on. I know people will disagree with me however I think just because you have a minor moment of weakness it does not mean that all your hard work has gone to waste!

Your profile says you're 11 days and going strong? day number 9 for me and for the past few days where over christmas I've been surrounded by non-smokers, the thought hasn't even crossed my mind once. Tonight might be a bit trickier because I'm seeing some friends (who do smoke) but I'm just telling myself that I saw these guys last weekend and I got through it without smoking, and it wasn't too much of a struggle, so tonight should be a piece of cake!

Good luck to you JB - would be awesome to check this thread in a month and find we're both smoke free :)