1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SolitaryScribe, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

This song is literally about masturbation!

Also warning for potential triggers.

Question to everyone. Has masturbation become something positive in the media? and what will this do to the younger generations who aren't aware of the consequences of PMO. Back in the day, people may have PMO'd but it wasn't something to boast about. Most people were closeted PMOers

Let me know your thoughts.

2. This isn't anything new really since Love Myself by Hailee Steinfeld was released in 2015 and U + Ur Hand by Pink was realised in 2006. Both songs were about masturbation and both were hit songs that got played on the radio and in stores.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  3. SolitaryScribe

I would agree. I mean this isn't anything new. Artist have been sexualizing music since the 90's as far back as I remember. But those songs were actually about sex. Not that those songs are any better than this! but songs about masturbation may be a bit more detrimental to the inexperienced. A song about sex will try to motivate someone to go out and try to have sex, a song about masturbation will make someone just want to masturbate and think it's something "cool" or normal. It allows that person to be stuck in that festering hole that is PMO. They'll have no reason to leave. Especially for a young person who is new to sexuality, these types of songs can really have an impact on judgment.

The thing with PMO is that the longer your addicted to it, the harder it becomes to quit and manifests itself into worst forms. There are people who's sexualities have been completely altered by PMO. No one is born a rapist or pedophile, these people are just victims of chronic PMO and P use.

Society and media need a counter balance to all the masturbation positive movement that's happening everywhere.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. SolitaryScribe

Never heard those songs before, but damn! it's a shame because this song is actually very catchy

5. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

How old are you? You seem to have missed I Touch Myself By the Divinyls. 1997? or so.

6. You've probably heard them if you shop in stores that play music. Maybe the Pink song won't be played so much now but the Hailee Steinfeld song probably still gets played.

I hadn't heard that song before but just listened to that and yes you're right.

7. Because they're catchy songs I guess. The thing is sometimes it's not that obvious they're about masturbation. With the Hailee Steinfeld song, she has never said it's about masturbation and in fact, she said, "The lyrics are subject to the listener so it’s up to their interpretation". I agree with her, it's up to the listener how they interpret it. At first, I thought Love Me was about accepting yourself and I actually put it on my NoFap playlist. It wasn't until I read stuff online about it being about masturbation that I changed my mind.

8. Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa Fapstronaut

@Wave Surfer Are you sure Love Myself - Hailee Steinfeld is a song about masturbation? That's ridiculous. Please elaborate, from what I've interpreted is that the song is literally about loving yourself man. Lowkey catchy though not gonna lie.

9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I thought that was in 1990-1991 or so, but yeah most definitely about masturbation

10. GigglingTrout

GigglingTrout Fapstronaut

Turning Japanese predates all of the songs listed so far, but I think there's some debate on whether the lyrics are actually about M or not.

11. It's not ridiculous!

When I get chills at night, I feel it deep inside
    Without you
    , yeah
    Know how to satisfy, keepin' that tempo right
    Without you, yeah

Genius Annotation:
    On the surface it may seem as if she’s only coping with the loss of a past lover, but it also details how she’s masturbating. She simulates the “real thing" as she has achieved the correct speed (tempo) in which she pleasures herself. Moreover, she knows how to satisfy herself by feeling whatever “it” is without her assumed ex-lover.

Pictures in my mind on replay
    I'm gonna touch the pain away
    I know how to scream my own name

Scream my name

Genius Annotation:
    The “pictures” she’s describing are likely memories of a past relationship, which can in some ways help stimulate the sexual tension. However, considering the relationship is no more, said memories are associated with the painful breakup, so she endures this pain by touching herself. Screaming your partner’s name is a regular thing during sex, but in this case, she pleasures herself so well she screams her own name.

I take it nice and slow, feeling good on my own
    Without you
    , yeah
    Got me speaking in tongues, the beautiful it comes
    Without you, yeah

Genius Annotation:
    She doesn’t need a lover to please her, she can handle herself and takes her time when masturbating to gain ultimate satisfaction.

Speaking in tongues is often consider the gift of God in religious context as it was, or still is, believed that a deity is the reason for these random, bewildering and confusing utterances. She must be using that finger well.

I'm gonna put my body first
    And love me so hard 'til it hurts
    I know how to scream out the worst
    Scream the worst

Genius Annotation:
    Steinfeld is going to focus on self-love—this could mean a lot of different things, but in the context of the song it sounds like she’s talking about masturbation.

The combination of “putting her body first,” loving herself “so hard ‘til it hurts,” and screaming out the words (perhaps having an orgasm) makes the message pretty clear.

Steinfeld has never explicitly stated that the song is about masturbation, though. In an interview with Popjustice, she masterfully evaded the question when asked outright if the song was about getting herself off. “The lyrics are subject to the listener so it’s up to their interpretation,” she explained, and then went on to call it an "empowerment record.”

https://genius.com/7817547

Dua Lipa and GigglingTrout like this.
  12. Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa Fapstronaut

Yeah I got you man, just went over the lyrics not to long ago too and I can see.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

all time low by j. bellion.......also have masturbate in its lyrics

14. Yeah, it's easy to miss and I didn't notice it at first.

15. BTW if anyone's interested in listening to my playlist you can hear it here on Spotify.