1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Struggeling with myself when is the best time to tell my wife about my addiction

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Deleted Account, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Again, I know not what will happen to your marriage and your family when you decide to tell your wife, but I know it will help you recover regardless of those consequences. Telling your wife (or anyone close to you, for that matter) will bring you to a new stage in your recovery: one where you're no longer alone in facing your addiction. I'm not telling you that disclosure is the best option for you because I think it's the best thing for your marriage. I don't know what disclosure is going to do to your marriage. Rather, I'm urging you to do so because I think it's the best thing for your recovery.

2. In my situation I can't make a decision only for myself.

3. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

I see what you're saying, and it's great that you recognize that your actions will impact not only you, but your family as well. Nevertheless, that's not really my point. My point is that disclosure will help you in your recovery, even if that means heavy consequences for you and your family. Please don't misunderstand me there: I'm not claiming that you ought to prioritize your recovery over your family or anything like that. I think it's up to you to figure out where your recovery lies on your priority list, and it's up to you to decide when you're ready to make the next steps towards healing.

4. In my opinion, I would tell her as soon as possible. There is no good time to break the news, so don’t wait around for a good time. Just rip the band aid off.

As other women have said, the most hurtful part of all of this is the lies and deception. I felt sick when I learned my man had been hiding it from me for soooo long, even though he had been trying to quit. It made me feel like all the memories we shared during that time were false. I deleted all the pictures I had taken of happy times, because I knew he was carrying around a dark secret which really ruined the memories for me.

Think of it this way. If she was doing something behind your back right now that was hurting your marriage, would you want to know about it now or in 5 years time? Wouldn’t you want the opportunity to know and possibly help her? Would it make you feel hurt or cheated?

Hopefulgirl likes this.
  5. Steveju

Steveju Fapstronaut

Everyone has great input here. The main thing is to do what is right and ignore your fears. Fear to expose yourself is a big part of this problem. If you want to soften the blow you should get a bit of time of commitment to stopping in. Perhaps consult a physcologist, there are some cheaper options online. You could at least show her you have taken serious steps towards improving. Women will respect open honesty more than anything. If she gives you a good tongue-lashing, just take it. You earned it. It won’t get better until you face it. Nothing will improve I till you stop and open up. That is the best mindset loving forward. I know you can do it!!

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Great to read and well said brother.

Steveju likes this.