1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm thinking about buy a Kindle...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I want to develop the habit of reading, so today I thought about these e-readers and the Kindle has come to my mind. Does it worth it? Is this as good as a normal book? What are its limitations? I appreciate your opnion and experience!​

2. I have a kindle and I love it. I hate hauling books around whenever I travel so it's nice to have a little kindle that takes up virtually no space at all. I also read a lot in my bed before I sleep, which is a little awkward with a book, but my kindle makes it pretty damn comfortable, plus it's easy on the eyes.

But my favorite thing about it is Amazon's customer support. I cracked my kindle's screen a while back (not too bad but enough to annoy me) so they sent me a shipping label and I sent it to Amazon to get fixed. I thought they were gonna just fix it and charge me for the repair costs, but two days later I get a BRAND NEW kindle in the mail free of charge. It wasnt even under warranty anymore and they still threw a free kindle my way, it was pretty kickass

3. Thank you for your reply!

Does it reads PDF files? Can I put e-books that I didn't get in Amazon, on Kindle?

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. I'm pretty sure you can do that. I've never done it though

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and have downloaded a lot of free books as well as purchased a few.

Gutenberg.org has thousands and thousands of good free books that you can download onto your phone. Also "Amazon" and "Barnes and Noble" have a lot of good free books. Plenty to purchase too of course.

Don't need to get a Kindle reader if you don't want to. You can use your cell phone and the Kindle app. The nice thing about the Kindle device is it's size. But if you have an iPad or Android tablet you can also download the Kindle app onto those as well.

6. Thanks for your reply!

I don't like to read on my smartphone, because I get tired really fast. Too much bright even if I low down to the minimal. Thanks for sharing that website, I'll pay a visit there. XD

7. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Kindles are definitely worth it. Have had a paperwhite for what’s been awhile, and I share @zig and @HopeForBrightFuture's sentiments. When I moved, I had to leave behind many of the physical books I wanted to take with me. But every title on my Kindle is still there to this day.

Minimal distractions, and unlike a phone, battery life can extend to weeks on end. Plus, after downloading a dictionary, a simple press is all that you need to ascertain some unknown word you may stumble upon in your travels. And you can download PDFs.

It doesn’t have the 'book feel,' and, as a reader, that is a downside. But weighing the pros and cons…

If I remember anything, I'll let you know; I hope you get the Kindle that works for you, and that you enjoy getting into a reading habit.

8. I recommend getting a stick on glass screen protector. The screens they come with now are cheap and they have a weird roughish feeling to them and they scratch easy. The protectors are cheap, easy to install and they make the screen a lot smoother. Other than that, i like my kindle a lot.

9. I also plan to do so :)

10. Thank you all for your replies! XD

Does anyone uses it to study like college or else? Is it useful for that purpose?

11. Hugoalsace

Hugoalsace Fapstronaut

If you already have a tablet I wouldn't bother with a kindle reader. Just download the Kindle app to your tablet and use that. I still prefer real books but I read a lot of stuff on kindle. It's cheaper and you can get stuff that's only available via ebook. Let me know if you download the app and I will send you a free copy of my book to get you started

12. What’s the title n subject of the book you’ve written?

13. Hugoalsace

Hugoalsace Fapstronaut

It's called Moristoun and is a black comedy about the afterlife for Scottish people. You can get it for 99p/99cents on kindle just now but I'd be happy to email a free copy

14. Unfortunately, I don't have a tablet. I prefer real books too,specially for collection. But I don't have space to store these books in potential. I tried to read on my smartphone, but I found it uncomfortable.

Hugoalsace and Deleted Account like this.
  15. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

Legitimately one of the main reasons I got my kindle was so I wouldn't have to do that awkward thing where you're on your side and, depending on where the weight of the pages is, either switch sides every other page or hold up the heavy side. :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  16. Thank you all for your opnions. I just ordered my Kindle Paperwhite (white color) plus 3 months of Kindle Unlimited service for R$1,99 (which is somewhat U$0,48). Also I got 17% discount on my Kindle which made a huge difference in my currency with free shipping. I'm so hyped to get it on my hands and start reading! Thanks once again!

17. John01

John01 New Fapstronaut

I personally love Amazon's Kindle devices because within a very affordable range they have everything that makes them the best eReaders in the market. I personally use Paperwhite and it is very good and user-friendly. You can read reviews bit.ly/2OC21Ul and then decide which device is best suitable for you.

18. I'm not sure if this app works with kindles or not, but if you're interested in ebooks, I would recommend checking out Scribd. It's a service that costs about 8 bucks a month and has tons of ebooks and audio books you can read. If you're someone who goes through a lot of books, it might be cheaper than buying them all, especially if you dont care about owning and re-reading.

19. YeetBoi21

YeetBoi21 Fapstronaut

Yeah I like it. Also has a nice feel to it too

mariasilva likes this.
  20. mariasilva

mariasilva New Fapstronaut