1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Waking up at 5 advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Iwannaquitplz, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Iwannaquitplz

Iwannaquitplz Fapstronaut

I have been waking up at 5 consistently for 3 weeks now I think? I love it and won't be stopping - It's a life changer!
    However about once or twice a week, I wake up at 5 and turn over and go back to bed, even though I know I want to get up.
    Does anyone have any good advice on how you get yourself out of bed when you want to get out of bed? I mean, I do it but not all days and I really want a flawless way of waking up.
    Is there a way to always want to be out of bed?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Get an old fashion alarm clock and sit it in your bathroom. Have it alarmed for 5am. You’ll have to get up to turn it off. When you do you’re already in the bathroom. Get started with your day instead of going back to sleep.

3. Or smartphone and barcodes! Ones like can't wake up, alarmy or sleep as android - there are thousands of them. Get an app free/paid/apk. from websites and print some barcodes, QR codes, put them in the kitchen (and drink 1 cup of cold water) then next in bathroom (brush teeth) and maybe next to front door/balcony to take a quick walk. In order to deactivate the alarm, you need to scan all of them - in order. This can help :)

//ps, the alarm doesn't make noise between scanning :)

4. At what time are you going to sleep? I tried that for some time but most of the time I'm simply not tired enough to go to bed at 9 or 10.

JoePineapples likes this.
  5. Iwannaquitplz

Thanks for the help guys, i'll try each method for a week and see how it goes - the barcodes sounds like a truly original idea, i'll try it even though my flat mates will probably laugh at me xD

It didn't matter at first, when I started I slept when I was tired, like 1 in the morning. I just made sure that I was awake at 5 no matter what. Eventually I got more tired and naturally went to sleep earlier. It was as easy to get into as that. Also, don't take naps in the day. I didn't do a lot in the day but after a week or so you'll be doing loads of stuff and be super productive!

6. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

You will be if you get up at 5… consistently :)

Deleted Account and Ra's Al Ghul like this.
  7. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

This. Your body clock resets, and soon you're getting much better sleep, too.

Trappist and Ra's Al Ghul like this.
  8. ramboeea

ramboeea Fapstronaut

do anything you like after wake up immediately... anything.

9. That's a good idea. Whenever I have time I try to get back to bed with a cup of coffee and read for at least 30 minutes.

ramboeea likes this.
  10. Btw do you drink any coffee in the morning? I guess it's best not to consume any caffeine to get as fast as possible into the right sleeping rhythm nur isn't it hard to be productive throughout the day?

11. Iwannaquitplz

I have a 12 hour rule for coffee. If you plan to sleep in 12 hours then no coffee allowed.
    This tends to limit the coffee intake I have anyway, usually I can only have 1 a day.
    I want to stop coffee altogether but I don't really see the harm... I like the taste and I have gone weeks without it and seen no real diffrence in my sleeping or what ever.... that is, as long as I keep to my 12 hour rule. The only reason i'd stop is for dopamine balance... eventually I want to give up sugar, caffeine and alcohol.

12. Thanks. My problem was always that I needed coffee to get through the day when I got up that early. The consequence was always that I slept much worse already when I had like two cups a day. But I'll try your 12-hours-rule and see if that makes any difference for me. :)

13. Kudos on your discovery of the greatness of early living. to prevent this very problem (lying awake after I know I should be up), I allow myself to have some sort of reward for getting out of bed immediately after ceasing to sleep. perhaps an episode of rick and morty of a small serving of junk food, or something of that nature. If I lay in bed awake after I know I should be awake, I don't allow myself such a reward. let me know if that helps,

Iwannaquitplz likes this.
  14. this prevents me from ever having to use an alarm clock, but at the same time I get plenty of sleep, so it's win win

15. So you're simply getting up whenever you're opening your eyes? Is that usually always at about the same time?

16. Do you sleep longer on the weekend?

17. Iwannaquitplz

No - That would go against the entire point of waking up at 5.

18. Moderation in moderation.

Sometimes you are tired and getting up early is not as important as getting rested on a weekend.

That having been said,
    getting up early allows
    for exercise and meditation
    before work.

So essential for this recovery.

I set my I-phone’s ‘bedtime’ setting for 8pm- 4am. Get up usually within the half hour. I almost always awaken now. Sometimes much earlier.
    Don’t usually make the 8pm
    ‘Curfew’...

Real Trappists get up
    much earlier, 2-3am
    I am a slug in comparison.

19. GratifiedSlave

GratifiedSlave Fapstronaut

I liked different perspectives of people here. I personally started to wake up early because I was continuously missing the morning prayer (Fajr) and being a Muslim it wasn't really good for me. So the major reason of waking up early was praying Fajr prayer right on time and not delaying it, and yeah this simple reason brought in many other benefits along with it. I really enjoy waking up early if I don't do so I don't feel really good throughout the day. Rising up early is a special feeling, yeah you've to sacrifice your sleep in the early days of adoption of this habit but you'll eventually after a week or so feel the difference.
    - Increased Productivity
    - Increased Time for Your Studies,Work etc
    - Fresher Mood
    are some of the many benefits that I noticed due to waking up. Now, my personal feeling is that if I sleep more and wake up late I feel more tired and drowsy rather than me waking up right before the rise of the sun and pray to the Almighty! :)
    I highly recommend every person doing the PMO challenge to try to wake up early and do whatever you feel is good for you.

20. Ranx

Ranx Fapstronaut

Just make sure you don't use the extra time and energy to contribute to a worldwide caliphate !

HereAndThere and Armalite Rifle like this.