1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Attending university at 30 years old... creepy to live in dorms/apartments with roommates?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 13, 2018.

1. So I got my associate's just a few months ago and am now working towards my bachelor's at a university. My commute is about 1 hour and 15 minutes back and forth twice a week and it's killing me. Would it be weird if I lived in the dorms at my age? I don't want to move in there for the college experience; I've already had a lot of fun in my life. What I want to do is take advantage of some of their tutoring facilities, as I plan on going to grad school after graduating and would love to graduate with a GPA above 3.0. Sure, I could accomplish that by continuing to commute, but living on-campus would make things MUCH easier. I'm just curious, I don't think I'll ever get roommates because I value my privacy way too much.

2. Couldn't you do long distance courses? Most 'mature' students do that. I'm doing that myself.

3. I had completely forgotten online courses exist. I'm on my final 3 semester of university currently. Do they offer those kinds of courses online? I had the impression they only offered them for the basics like History, Government and English and not the courses within your major you take near the end of your degree.

4. Iwannaquitplz

Iwannaquitplz Fapstronaut

I am living in halls right now and don't think it would be strange or anything... you get so many personalities anyway... the hardest part would be on your and the lack of cleaning students do, either you do all of it or no one does anything.
    I have this one guy who spends all his time playing computer games anyway and hardly ever see him, if he's actually alive still, don't think I've seen him this week.
    But my point is, if it's better for your education, i'd move in and no one would have a problem... also, there are flats for third years and stuff sometimes so you get the more mature students there if that's better for you.

5. I've never had roommates before since I've always lived with my parents. I don't think I would last very long if I ever lived in dorms because I'm very strict about cleanliness and quiet. What's it like living in dorms? Good/bad experiences?

6. Iwannaquitplz

Iwannaquitplz Fapstronaut

Surprisingly ok... haha not sure how else to put it really... It does the job

The good: I didn't die.
    The bad: everything is just manageable. it's easy living but not great living

7. From my experience it highly depends on the uni man. Some unis are attractive for what you called the "college experience". I have a couple of friends that go to those unis, where people are more relaxed and take more time "studying" (those lazy little shits). In my uni it's a completely different world, people don't party here at all, they just learn and hope they can get their degree in under 5 years (tech. uni mostly mech. engineers here), it's a good uni and if you are 30 you'd still perfectly fit in, especially if you're at uni to learn. Perspective from germany though...

8. That's great to hear. Luckily I look extremely young for my age (people tell me I look like I'm in my early 20's). It's a blessing/curse of being part Asian, I guess.

Do you live with roommates at the uni you are currently attending? How's the experience with them?

9. Would you honestly inconvenience yourself by not staying in the dorm because other people thought it was creepy?

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. I say stay on campus if that is more convenient and if anyone thinks its creepy screw em. Who cares what tgey think and personally i don't think its creepy anyway, you're 30 and (as you said) look even younger, its not like you're 60.

11. Good point. That was my social anxiety talking. I'll deeply consider living on-campus next semester. Thanks for the honesty.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2018
  12. Yeah. I share the flat with two mech. engineers and one physicist and then there's me, an architect, we all are about 25yo. I'm almost done with my master and the mech engineers will need a couple more semesters to finish their bachelors. We mostly spend the day in uni or in front of the computer doing stuff. When we spend time together it's probably in the kitchen, since we don't have a living room. When we were searching for another flatmate, we wrote in the description of the advert, that we don't want first-semester students (We were especially looking for older guys!). Because the probability is high they don't know how to operate a kitchen, we know, because we didn't in the first year either. The flat is clean, it's quiet and we all care for our studies and degrees and sidejobs.

I'm sure you'll find likeminded people that welcome someone older that isn't a burden on the community. When you're searching for a flat, a room or whatever, you'll see what the folks living there are all about. If it's noisy and everything seems to be a mess, studies aren't going well for them, at least that's my experience. Look for people that are a bit like you. Here in my uni, lot's of people are a bit shy and not very talkative, I'm fine with that, because I'm neither.

Btw: I'd highly recommend living near uni. When I moved closer to my faculty, I began being there more often, I was flexible, talked to my professors more and it was the best decision I could have made. Before that I had to ride the bus for 1 hour, that was extremely tiring and I lost a lot of time, 2h/day can be worth a lot, especially when you need/want to get things done.