1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Might sound strange, but this helps me..

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Janus, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Janus

Janus Fapstronaut

As of this post, I'm 50% of the way to my goal. I'd have to say I'm having the greatest success yet but I'm not getting overconfident. I know I have a lot of work to do yet.

I work as a graphic designer and as such, I tend to be a very visual person, I need to SEE certain things for them to be real to me if that makes sense. While I have my PMO counter here on he forum, it's not something I can see all the time, every day, so I came up with this. I know it might sound dumb, but whatever works right?

I took a large clear glass jar, the kind you use to make iced tea with the little tap at the bottom, I filled it to the top with water and used a sharpie to mark the top of the water line.

Then I added several drops of green food coloring to make the water a murky green color. The glass jar represents my brain, the green water represents the PMO and dopamine induced "goo" that is filling it, keeping me from thinking clearly.

I take a NyQuil cup, and every day I manage to go without PMO, I dispense one small cupful from the tap and pour it out. I can see the water level dropping, I see more of the clear and less of the green, murky fog. It's a visual representation of my brain clearing. I see the original water line and I can see how far I've gone, and how far I still need to go.

The jar doesn't represent any set number of days. To be honest, I'm not sure how long it will take to empty it, but maybe that's the point of what we do here, we just keep working at it every day until we see improvement.

Like I said, probably sounds like a dumb idea, but hey, it works for me.

Bozzo likes this.
  2. OnTrack

OnTrack Fapstronaut

Sounds like a cool idea!

Bozzo likes this.
  3. Razielcreed

Razielcreed Fapstronaut

that's great stuff , maybe you could do magic with that thing mate

4. rainbetweenfriends

rainbetweenfriends New Fapstronaut

Definitely one of the more creative ideas I've heard. Cool.

5. dragon

dragon Fapstronaut

Thats a really cool idea! Its good to have something you can see everyday that reminds you why your doing nofap.

6. Savoy Truffle

Savoy Truffle Fapstronaut

Very creative idea indeed! :) This reminds me of another method that some psychologists suggest - you need to put down all of your fears, negative thoughts, bad habits or in other words everything bad which you want to remove from your life, on a piece of paper, put it in a postal envelope and seal it. Then, when you wake up every morning, you need to cut a little bit from it, until one day it's completely gone. Of course, along with that you need to work on your own personal improvement. I haven't tried anything like it yet, but i definitely like your idea, Janus, it's much more symbolic, which in my opinion, is more important :)

7. ThatSpirit7

ThatSpirit7 Fapstronaut

That's a great idea man! Filter that water up!! Keep makin' it to tomorrow!

8. Very interesting. And the complete opposite of dumb. Thats a smart idea. And it does give you a visual of your problem.

9. 21decisionforlife

21decisionforlife Fapstronaut

Agree with the others I like your idea. I mean for everyone it is different to get on with life just like everyone needs different amount of time to empty that glass!

10. CL555

CL555 Fapstronaut

If it seems dumb and it works, then it ain't dumb :) That is an awesome way to see your progress, it's fun, creative and effective! Great idea :) Can I buy one from you? Haha

11. IGY

IGY Guest

It seems like your jar is full of dark green murk again :(

12. KJ1987

KJ1987 Fapstronaut

Brilliant. You are able to literally get a visual of the cleansing process. What comes to mind is the factor of Time. It takes time for us to recover, one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time. Eventually we reach clarity.

13. Homin

Homin Fapstronaut

It's a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing this out!

14. depo27

depo27 Fapstronaut

That's a good idea, but IMO I'd rather keep taking my Zoloft and Rivotril. They lower my sex drive and libido (I don't have an active sex life anyway.) I don't have any urges anymore or that kind of things... But to each his own. ;)

15. Rebootman

Rebootman Fapstronaut

Another more simple visual I use: Tally marks. One for each day PMO-free. When you relapse, erase the marks and start over. I use the mirror in my bedroom

16. jazzphanatic

jazzphanatic Fapstronaut

Hey Janus! Man anything that helps you and assists you with this difficult challenge, is not dumb at all! I applaud you for sharing and it maybe something that I'll use in the future! Hang in there man! I'm standing here with you!

17. Phaz

Phaz Fapstronaut

I love the idea! I think it's awesome and since I too am a visual learner, I am up for trying something along these lines! Keep it up!