1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Is 20 minutes enough for meditation? I can maybe do 30, but I'd rather just do 20. I'm definitely not gonna go over 30 minutes. I just don't have time for that. Just wondering.

2. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

Depends on your goals and how it works for you and what you're actually doing during those 20 minutes.

A meditation teacher once said something like: it can happen that you sit in meditation for 1 hour, but are only meditating for 2 or 3 minutes.

3. You could try 2 meditations of 15 minutes, one in the morning, one in the evening

GREGOR hulse and Angus McGyver like this.
  4. I just want to relieve some stress and I'm hoping that it helps with lucid dreaming.

5. Thanks Phil. I think I'll do it before bed. I didn't know you meditated. I'm a big fan.

6. 5 minutes alone meditating can give you strength beyond strength so that you can reach a new level :p

7. some_chick

some_chick Fapstronaut

I would highly recommend giving frequency meditation a try - if you search certain frequencies (on youtube, for example) and listen with headphones for 20-30 minutes, you can feel it having a physical effect on your body. 417hz, 432hz, 528hz, 7.83hz etc are all great to start with.

GREGOR hulse and im_broken like this.
  8. I’ve done meditation on and off in the past 2 years. I have been doing 10 minutes a day for the last week and I still feel it is beneficial and I don’t feel like quitting. I think whatever keeps you consistent is best and your mind will get stronger over time allowing you to do more.

GREGOR hulse and Deleted Account like this.
  9. ZelCikal

ZelCikal Fapstronaut

Hi. Is this something like binaural beats ?

10. RealRockNRolla

RealRockNRolla Fapstronaut

I'd recommend meditating just as you wake up and just before bed time, about 10 minutes each. No sense doing it for longer until you can master it in the short term.

im_broken likes this.
  11. Anyone have tips for staying present during the day? To watch anxiety, anger and associated thoughts instead of being sucked up by them, or to just improve decision making?

I've got a quote from Andy Puddicombe

“Rather than thinking about being mindful for the whole day, which is kind of impossible, [do it] at the beginning of each and every activity. Say, ‘Okay for this next half hour’—or hour, however long the activity is—’I'm going to strive to present and attentive in everything I do.’ Then at the end of the activity, you briefly reflect, not to judge it or or be critical in any way, just notice: Did you get distracted a lot—or not that much? And then when you begin the next activity, you just do exactly the same thing. If you go through the day systematically bookending each and every activity, you start, over time, to become more present.”

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018
  12. Fuck that was awesome. Will it allow me to use my third arm for a vulgar display of power?

13. Yeah I listen to meditation music while I meditate.

14. I think I'll try that out.

15. izdwuut

izdwuut Fapstronaut

The time that you would benefit from it the most depends on a meditation. I found it difficult to practice vipassana in the evening as it wasn't absorbing enough to me. Strange enough, I was completely fine with zazen. Maybe that's because I've kept my eyes open? I've also heard about people performing a certain meditation that were so energized after doing it that it rendered them unable to sleep if done in the evening. I believe that with some experimentation you'd find a routine that suit you :). I'd only recommend being consistent and do it everyday. I think that's much like a daily shower spirituality-wise.

When it comes for samatha[1] (I wasn't sure for Tibetan term, so I used the Sanskrit one) meditations in general, Lama Ole Nydahl of Karma Kagyu lineage straightforwardly discourages doing them at the beginning of one's practice[2]. It's simply easier to focus on a rich Buddha form or repeat even the lengthiest mantra than to focus on the mind itself and that's something that I'd agree with. A friend of mine have told me that the Lama has also said that it's better to do a few shorter meditations if you can't do a longer sitting, although I can't back it up.

You could also try using a mala[3]. It looks much like a rosary without the cross attached. Personally I'm not sure if I see this much of a difference, but it is supposed to help you with anchoring to the present moment. After your thoughts have drifted away you still move it in your hand, so it makes sense to me. It can be used for counting breaths. Or mantras - that's the purpose that I use it for. I'm doing Refuge Meditation[4] as of lately and it requires 11,111 repetitions of 4-verse mantra. Using the mala helps with counting them.

[1] An article on samatha (single-pointed meditation) @ English Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samatha
    [2] Fearless Death: Buddhist Wisdom on the Art of Dying by Lama Ole Nydahl
    [3] An article on malas @ English Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_prayer_beads
    [4] An explaination of Refuge Meditation @ Official Diamond Way Buddhism website - https://www.diamondway-buddhism.org/buddhist-meditation/diamond-way-meditations/#refuge

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    im_broken likes this.
  16. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

That is what I do every day (plus some 2-3 minute sessions in-between during the day) and it has helped me a lot to cool and stress down.

17. alexander86

alexander86 Fapstronaut

This is what i do :)
    It puts me in a super relaxed state and i tend to focus better during my day.

GREGOR hulse likes this.
  18. I haven't really looked into the different types of meditation. I'm not looking for much. I'm just looking for something that can relieve stress, make me a more peaceful person and maybe help induce my lucid dreams. I don't want to meditate any more than 20 minutes if I'm being honest. At most I'd do 15 minutes twice a day. I didn't meditate last night, but the last time I meditated, which was Tuesday morning, it hurt my back to sit up like I did and it was hard not to focus on the pain. I also just could not clear my mind, which is expected when you're starting meditation, but it really did bother me.

I have very bad anxiety. NoFap is helping, but I still have it pretty bad this week. I expect it to get better by next week because of NoFap, but in the mean time the shit drives me crazy. Yesterday I was so anxious and I don't know how I didn't have a break down. Every little thing was pissing me off and it's ridiculous to get so damn angry at such trivial things. Over the weekend I went to the store and I was shaking because my anxiety was so bad. I needed to get water and oil, but I was so anxious that I hauled ass out of the store with what I had and headed home. Not my proudest moment, but it's the truth.

19. suntannedsailor

suntannedsailor Fapstronaut

Helps as in helps reduce or helps induce? What's your experience? I only had one lucid dream with false awakening and it was pretty scary.

20. izdwuut

izdwuut Fapstronaut

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with such difficulties. I wish you that you'd manage to get rid of them soon, as I know that such states can be debilitating. Being unable to do daily chores must be really disheartening to you.

If your back starts to hurt after a while, why don't you change your position? Once I was concerned about this as I meditate in kneeling position which is unusual in our Buddhist Center. I was starting to get confused because all of my friends sit with legs crossed which is uncomfortable to me. I asked the question to a teacher and he said that while it's recommended to sit like they do (presumably with a cushion under your buttocks), it's more important to sit comfortably than to think "when this is going to end" every single second. He also added that it's okay if you sit in a chair - that's the way that I started to meditate, by the way.

As for the specific meditation, I'd recommend you to check if you are able to borrow The Way Things Are. Its a compact introduction to Buddhism which also explains various meditations techniques. I hope that one of them would click with you. Some of them incorporate mantras and you would repeat them as many times as your time-frame allows you to.