1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How and where to start when going to the gym for the first time?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anonymous86, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I want to start, but with my brain fog and low motivation I find it quite difficult. I don't know how long I should work out for and if I should even touch the freeweights.

It's my first time ever using a gym consistently, so...yeah. Kind of nervous here. :-/

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. I'm right there with you man. I started gym stuff and meal prep about 4 weeks ago. I'm seeing improvement and sticking to my goals but it is super intimidating and hard to not feel like you are an idiot.

Mostly I have been leaning on nerdfitness https://www.nerdfitness.com because that's my style. I'm so out of shape if I literally do ANYTHING that makes me sweaty and tired for at least an hour I'm doing well. As I get more fit I'll worry about getting on a stricter plan.

Clean Plate and Anonymous86 like this.
  3. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Do you have to pay for nerd fitness in any capacity? I have access to a gym right now. Not sure what to do.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. When you join a gym, you will often get a free session with a trainer where they start you on a daily routine. You can start with what they recommend, then change your routine as you learn. You can get ideas from talking to people and watching YouTube videos. You will learn a lot. The hardest thing is at the beginning. I highly recommend it. For me, strength building exercises all over is the way to go. You may get turned on a few months later when you look in the mirror!

Anonymous86 likes this.
  5. Clean Plate

Clean Plate Fapstronaut

There are alot of youtube fitness channels that are based on "bro science." Look up "Athlean X" if youre serious. He recommends working out 30-45 min max.

Optimum Fortitude likes this.
  6. ctr

ctr Fapstronaut

Personal trainer here. Instead of finding the motivation, develop habits, start with small goals and work your way up. You don't even need to go to a gym at first. Make it a habit to do basic exercises at your home. Include some cardio/aerobic training as well. With time, you'll see improvements in your level of fitness and your confidence. At that point, you'll be more ready and willing to work out in a gym environment. Also, improve your nutrition, sleep, and even things like your appearance, hygiene, wardrobe, etc. - it all makes a difference. Like everything else, the bottom line with this is *consistency* and making it a lifestyle.

7. TheBox

TheBox Fapstronaut

Completely agree with this. When you find yourself in the gym environment though, do use the free weights. It’s important to train your postural muscles as you increase the load. You won’t get get this by doing isolated exercises.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Optimum Fortitude likes this.
  8. ctr

ctr Fapstronaut

Very good point. Another thing I would advise to OP is to *always* train with strict, proper form. Also, when you increase weight, be careful. Injuries are all too common when working out, especially as one ages. Make sure to rest sufficiently and strive for balance in your muscle groups.

Optimum Fortitude and kayesem like this.
  9. there is so much info online when it comes to working out. it depends on what you are trying to do. i would explore certain apps they have routines. a lot of it is eating right that will help with gains.