1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Jungian Book

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by 0111zerozero11, Oct 24, 2018.

1. 0111zerozero11

0111zerozero11 Fapstronaut

Have any of you in relationships read the book King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine authored by Robert Moore and Douglas Gillette?

From description:
    Redefining age-old concepts of masculinity, Jungian analysts Robert Moore and Douglas Gillette make the argument that mature masculinity is not abusive or domineering, but generative, creative, and empowering of the self and others. Moore and Gillette clearly define the four mature male archetypes that stand out through myth and literature across history: the king (the energy of just and creative ordering), the warrior (the energy of aggressive but nonviolent action), the magician (the energy of initiation and transformation), and the lover (the energy that connects one to others and the world), as well as the four immature patterns that interfere with masculine potential (divine child, oedipal child, trickster and hero). King, Warrior, Magician, Lover is an exploratory journey that will help men and women reimagine and deepen their understanding of the masculine psyche.

Worth the money/time? Has it helped you?

2. Jennica

Jennica Fapstronaut

Never read it but it does sound interesting, tell me more?!?!

0111zerozero11 likes this.
  3. 0111zerozero11

I stumbled on it via Omar Minwalla's SAIT & recommended reading for the men of non-codependent spouses. I know nothing of the book, but I am a backer of Omar's trauma model, so I thought I'd check.
    I'm interested enough, I think I'll buy. It said it was helpful for females to understand the archetypes of her man, as well.

Book report will be completed in the future ;)

Deleted Account and Trappist like this.
  4. Jennica

Jennica Fapstronaut

Sounds interesting though, maybe I’ll check it out! I’m not familiar with the model at all so I’ll look into it. Thanx!

Trappist and 0111zerozero11 like this.
  5. 0111zerozero11

We all have archetypes :) super interesting....happy reading!

Deleted Account, Trappist and Jennica like this.
  6. Banjaxed

Banjaxed Fapstronaut

No but it chimes with some of the themes my counsellor talked about last - he said a lot of guys he works with are “playboy princes” and need to mature to become “benevolent kings”.

I’ll add this to my list of recovery books to get, once I’ve read the other 673 o_O

0111zerozero11 and Trappist like this.
  7. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

There is a reason this is a myth, because it doesn't exist.

Trappist likes this.
  8. This kind of information was part of the men’s movement from the early 90’s. Robert Bly and Michael Moore were two other writers along with Joseph Campbell, if I understand correctly.

It’s an interesting strain of thought.

@Pinetree, you might check it out and not simply reject. Life is full of contradictions and how we weave through them is important.

moonesque likes this.
  9. 0111zerozero11

Let me know in about 10 years how it is, ha! I'm assuming that's how long it would take to read 673 books ;)
    I really hope you do find time to read it; sounds beneficial!

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2018
    kropo82, Trappist and 0111zerozero11 like this.
  11. 0111zerozero11

Chills.

12. Outstanding!
    I’ll have a search for
    Patterson on Netflix.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  13. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

That video clip that @Max Fisher posted is fascinating, I must watch the film, it looks like I'd love it! Do we know inf the book @cakeinacrisis starts this thread with covers similar ground?

I'm not sure if I agree with this quote from the video but it is beautifully thought provoking:

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Jung can be read for the value on the concepts with how they relate to our psychology, not that people are specifically as he says or he accruately describes something true, but he does do a good job of describing how people act and are influenced psychologically. He’s worth a read in general.

15. drewharbour

drewharbour Fapstronaut

Archetypes and Jung were recently introduced to me in the book “12 rules for life” by Jordan Peterson. He has an amazing body of work, very accessible via podcast. e-book, and hardcopy. Warning! He does seem to offend left wing media but his message and theories are quite balanced objective.
    I would highly recommend his book, 12 steps, as it outlines a path of personal responsibility in order to live up to ones potential.
    He has a unique (in my limited experience) perspective on archetypes found in religious texts and their value on how we live today. I can’t imagine a better introduction to the values and lessons of ancient archetypes, particularly for those with non traditional faithes, than that which Peterson presents.
    His words, my affirmation “act so you can tell the truth about how you act”

Jennica and Deleted Account like this.