1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Just disclosed my addiction to SO

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by dannyboy91, Oct 27, 2018.

1. dannyboy91

dannyboy91 Fapstronaut

I have just disclosed my PMO addiction to my SO. She has known about this in the past and knows it is an ongoing issue but last month I have slipped up and gone further by going on chatrooms and swapping photos with a random girl. I did this last year and disclosed but feel like that was the final straw. Now I've done it again and I feel utterly sick that I would do this to her. I love her so much and don't know what is going to happen. After reading this forum and hearing about other people disclosing the guilt got too much and I had to tell her. I never wanted to keep any secrets in our relationship and if she doesn't leave me this is the start of complete transparency.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

drewharbour, Nugget9 and moonesque like this.
  2. Jennica

Jennica Fapstronaut

Welcome. I hope you have been able to check out @AnonymousAnnaXOXO help thread. Amazing collection of information for PA’s and SO’s. It could really help you to know what your SO could be going through as her understanding P addiction too.

Nugget9 and Trappist like this.
  3. Struggling to read this one as a SO. Not sure why all the picture exchanges would happen. if you love your partner, then why are you doing the things you know you would have to lie about in the first place. What do you get from women who are not your SO?

4. Complete transparency is needed. Open and honest.
    For us it didn't work until that happened, along with discussions on feelings, about this issue, about many things. Communication is key, both ways. You are a couple and a couple needs both involved even if it is just you with the issue to fix.

5. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

Telling my SO was probably one of the hardest things I did, but the complete transparency and constant updates is probably the single greatest factor impacting my reboot. Check out @AnonymousAnnaXOXO's resources. she has great ways to for constant check-ins and whatnot.

I don't know why any SO would stay with a PA. Women just be crazy. Or that despite everything, they have invested in the relationship and have fond memories and don't want to burn it if there's a chance of recovery. Who knows. All I know is that my wife supports my recovery and celebrates my accomplishments. I have someone to talk to and the darkness in my mind, the guilt, the self-loathing, the resentment dissipated when I told her.

Obviously there is still a struggle, there always will be, we will always be scarred, but we do change and become better people. They help a lot. It is far easier to recover in a relationship in some ways than by oneself.

Regardless of the severity of this, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. Rather focus on propelling yourself forward rather than beating yourself up which will just lead back to relapse

6. dannyboy91

dannyboy91 Fapstronaut

Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't know why the exchanges happened, it is a result of my lust and addiction and not being satisfied over time with just images I guess. The nature of this addiction is that unless something is done, like a drug we need to take more and more to get the same effect. This is not a justification, it is the reality of this crap and I am at rock bottom. I cannot believe it would lead to this and feel sick every time I think about what I have done.
    And you are right @JKnight I don't know why she would stay with me, but we have had so many amazing memories and experiences together and she has seen me at my best and now at my absolute worst. I feel extremely blessed to have such an amazing woman in my life. She is incredible in every way. I feel like a weight has been lifted after telling her and even though this is the last chance I will get, she is standing by me. Trying not to beat myself up and instead am focusing on why it happened/what can be done to prevent this in the future.
    I am currently searching for a counsellor/therapist that I can use, finances are not great which sucks as they can get very expensive! Needs to be done though. Also going to join an SAA group.

Nugget9, Trappist and Jennica like this.
  7. SAA has been so impt for me.

Go 100%, get a sponsor in the 1st few weeks, even if one is assigned to you.

Half measures do nothing,
    Everything gets recovery going.

I came here first, too.

8. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

I would also recommend the following. This depends on your SO, but from my own experience and from asking other SOs here, I can recommend the following. I wouldn't make your recovery about your SO. I found that using when your recovery depends on an outside entity, then your motivation will waver according to your perception of that external entity's concern. Instead recover with your partner; involve her heavily in your recovery. Talk to her, give her updates, tell her what's going on in your mind and what you're trying to accomplish. Explain what's difficult and your triggers. Don't do it from a sense of obligation, but from a sense of intimacy and love; you are entrusting your darkest secret to her out of love helps rebuild your relationship. When she is a part of your recovery, it'll bring you closer together and she'll support you.

If you keep her in the dark or do things out of obligation, she'll want to recover and give you help but you won't rebuild trust and she'll get angry when you reboot. You'll find that when you recover with your partner, not just your relationship will improve, but your recovery will be stronger. Women are interesting creatures and the impact they have on us when we have their love and support is quite profound. I wouldn't underestimate it. But again, it would depend on how much she wants to know.

Trappist likes this.
  9. E15

E15 Fapstronaut

She is incredibly lucky you had the guts to tell her. If only every guy was like you. I hope you can work through this together now

Butterfly1988 likes this.
  10. Nugget9

Nugget9 Fapstronaut

It is incredibly hard and I am still working on opening up more with my SO. You are headed in the right direction it sounds like.

JKnight likes this.
  11. eash860531

eash860531 Fapstronaut

This is all great. My biggest regret is I didn’t disclose this to my wife. She found out by going on my computer. It has made this all 300000 times worse. I am 21 days removed since she found out and my biggest takeaway is the level of clarity I had.

Addiction is partly fueled by its secrecy and fantasy. I found that once that is out there it is a lot easier to look at it or take my thoughts and squash them.

You’ve done the hardest part. Maybe download K9 or set restrictions / have your SO set a password.

Maybe start reading about sex addiction.

Keep posting on here and keep up with your journal.

Talking about it is huge progress.

12. dannyboy91

dannyboy91 Fapstronaut

Thanks guys. I am going to try to be as open as possible about my recovery - before it has just been 'I've messed up again' but not speaking to her regularly about how I am doing, which led to progressively worse actions on my part.

My wife and I have been talking the last few days which has been great. We are going to be moving next year to a different area (earliest we can do due to tenancy and job), into a house owned by/on the same land as a couple that do marriage counselling and therapy. We will stay there for around 6 months and will hopefully be a very healing time for us. I am starting to feel hopeful about my life again, getting out of the depression that I've felt caught in for a long time.

It is easy to abstain from PM at the moment due to everything that has happened but I know that won't last for too long going on past experience. I need to make radical changes so that this never happens again. I have also been reconnecting with my faith which has been a massive help in lifting off the shame and guilt.

Trappist likes this.
  13. So you just used your SO to get rid of your guilt. You shouldn't be just confessing so you don't feel guilty.

To a degree but we should be reasonable. You don't just tell her everything, many SO don't want to know everything. SO shouldn't be treated like a doormat for us to wipe our dirty guilty feet on.

14. Of course, going into vivid detail about everything is not necessary. But you shouldn't be keeping secrets either, which is what I meant. I would never imply using anyone especially a SO as a doormat.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. dannyboy91

dannyboy91 Fapstronaut

I understand your point - I don't think that was the case regarding disclosing to remove guilt. It was the guilt though that called me into action and made me decide that enough is enough. I couldn't take going on with keeping secrets from my wife, especially something like this. I realised that if I went on like nothing happened then I would just be faking it, and I couldn't do that. I want intimacy with my SO and this stuff eradicates intimacy whether they know about it or not.

Katrina Rose likes this.
  16. Katrina Rose

Katrina Rose Fapstronaut

very mature response. You are definitely on the right path!

dannyboy91 likes this.