1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender inequality complaints

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Clean Willy, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Clean Willy

Clean Willy Fapstronaut

Kleenex to ditch Mansize tissues after gender inequality complaints

The UK's most popular tissue brand, Kleenex Mansize, has been forced to clean up its image after consumers complained its name was sexist. After more than sixty years Kleenex is phasing out the Mansize tissues name, deciding instead to call the disposable handkerchiefs "Extra Large" tissues. Kimberly-Clark, which owns Kleenex, said it succumbed to growing public demand to change the name, despite not itself believing that the Mansize branding suggests or endorses gender inequality. It comes amid a wider backlash against unnecessarily gendered products, with consumers and campaigners criticizing manufacturers of razors, pens, confectionary and other products over "outdated" gender stereotyping.

The Advertising Standards Authority, which regulates adverts, has also said it will ban those that encourage gender stereotypes, such as women cleaning up after their family, or men failing to do housework.

It conducted a year-long inquiry which found some adverts were portraying "potentially harmful" gender stereotypes. Sam Smethers, chief executive at feminist campaign group, the Fawcett Society, praised the move, saying: "Rebranding mansized tissues is not to be sneezed at. Removing sexist branding such as this is just sensible 21st century marketing. But we still have a long way to go before using lazy stereotypes to sell products is a thing of the past."

Kleenex "For Men" tissues were first launched back in 1956 when cotton handkerchiefs were still widely used, with the claim that they "stayed strong when wet". In 2009 Kleenex released a television advert which showed men including actor Tom Hardy and former England manager Sven Goren Ericson crying. At present the renaming of Mansize tissues is only impacting big boxes, but compact boxes are due to be rebranded next year.

A spokesman for Kimberly-Clark said: "Kleenex Mansize tissues have been on shelves for the past 60 years. Over that time, the brand has always been characterised by a much larger tissue size, which is both soft and strong. It was launched at a time when large cotton handkerchiefs were still very popular and Kleenex offered a unique disposable alternative. Despite that our consumer service is registering consistent increase of complaints on gender concern related to Mansize subbrand.

"Kimberly-Clark in no way suggests that being both soft and strong is an exclusively masculine trait, nor do we believe that the Mansize branding suggests or endorses gender inequality. Our Mansize tissues remain one of our most popular products, with 3.4 million people buying these tissues every year. Nevertheless, as we remain committed to developing the best possible products for our consumers and take any feedback extremely seriously, we decided to renovate our current product and update the product subbrand as Kleenex Extra Large."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...mansize-tissues-gender-inequality-complaints/
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Surely, this is so much nonsense! I use this product and I have done so for at least 30 years. Did I buy it because I am a man? No (I wasn't aware they were even called that). Did I buy it because it betrays that I think along the lines of gender stereotypes? No. I use them because they are the largest, strongest and most absorbent product available. Men, generally, are bigger than women. Take the average height of the men's tennis tour and compare it to the women's and you will find that a man's size is considerably bigger than a woman's size. The fact that a person is bigger than another person... so what? Why should that be a matter of contention. Men are generally bigger than women and men are generally stronger than women... so what? Why cannot that be used to illustrate a unique selling point (USP) of a product.

If this company called their tissues Rhino tissues; elephant tissues or blue whale tissues would people complain that other animals were being criticized because they were smaller and not selected to represent the USP? How about the nonsensical points made in paragraph two of this editorial: "The Advertising Standards Authority, which regulates adverts, has also said it will ban those that encourage gender stereotypes, such as women cleaning up after their family, or men failing to do housework." What!?

So men always have to clean up and do housework in every advert from now on? What a bloody ridiculous society we live in. In many homes, I imagine such work is divided between them. But it may not mean them doing the same chores on the same day. The man might clean and do chores Mon-Fri and the woman over the weekend. So, what if the camera crew record the action over the weekend, rather than midweek in that case? There are far more important things to be doing than tinkering with adverts because they do not show the supposed "perfect picture" some people have in mind.

I invite those for and against this to comment. Nicely, please. :)

RecoveringWanker likes this.
  2. Dumb. Generally men are larger than women. These attempts at social engineering are becoming more overt by the day.

3. fuck far left liberals, fuck 3rd wave feminists, and fucks sjws. Those dumbasses are always bitching about something, why cant they just let us live our lives without trying to control us and are opinions?. If everyone would just chill and stop trying to police eachother about opinions than we would all get along fine. I have no problem with people on opposite political views than me or different opinions, but i am not a man who will be controlled and bullied into being silent, if you dont agree with me thats fine, but NO ONE will make me change how i feel or try telling me what i can or cant say.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2018
    SilentJay313 likes this.
  4. Men and their.. (rolls dice) sexist tissues

5. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

It's getting to be like Soviet Russia or Maoist China, but without the secret police, gulags and re-education camps. Getting "denounced" not for any real egregious act you may commit, but only for not conforming to the right kind of ideological purity.

6. That's more than a slight exaggeration.

BravelyKegger likes this.
  7. You must not live in a super liberal state. I do. One time, a woman told me that women can have penises and I got laughed at for disagreeing. They treated me like a flat earther.

8. Well, I got laughed at for not believing a certain retired politician in my country secretely owns all the media and tries to replace the current population with immigrants. People are usually fucking retards who randomly choose what to believe like they would pick an ice cream flavour and then fight to death to defend that stupid position. It's pretty standard stuff and there's no need to paint images of dystopian future because of that.

You should have asked her to show you her penis.

9. It's this precisely this type of brainless thinking that will lead to a dystopian future. When you have people in all facets of life such as government, industry, media, education and entertainment bowing down to idealism in such a frivoulus fashion its very dangerous whether that idealism is coming from the left or the right. I'm not partisan but where i live im immersed in leftist bullshit.

Lol, I that could have been funny but it could have also gone horribly wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2018
  10. This is why I hate modern feminism. They spout so much nonsense that when something actually legitimately sexist happens, nobody will listen anymore. I cant tell you the amount of times I've been called a triggered libtard for combating actual sexist statements about women being scum or inferior to men or sluts or objects. Modern feminist has given everyone an excuse to ignore real problems because they've made themselves a laughing stock.

MLMVSS, Hros, Gotham Outlaw and 2 others like this.
  11. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

Have you ever heard of the "Gay Wedding Cake" controversy? I live in the city where it happened. One family bakery run by a conservative Christian couple declined to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. Admitted up front that this is a violation of anti-discrimination law. Bakers claim this violates their religious freedoms. Whatever. Never mind that there might be 5 dozen other bakeries in this town that would have made the lesbian couple a cake for free just to show how good and pure and enlightened and evolved and tolerant and inclusive they are. The Social Justice Terrorists demanded that bakers be made an example of. Demonized in the media. The full weight of State Power brought down on them. $100,000 fine. Drunk drivers who kill people have got off with less. All for not providing a service the wedding couple could have had by doing nothing more than asking at the next bakery down the street.

To be clear...I am best described as agnostic. The last time I saw the inside of a church I was at a funeral.

12. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

We're singing from the same hymn sheet sister. :cool:

13. And they got punished for that. What's your point exactly? I've gotten the impression that making courts resolve ridiculous cases (like a microwave company not putting up a warning not to put cats in their microwaves) is an American tradition. Also, in this case it's understandable that the lesbians got pissed. Imagine if the bakery refused to serve blacks, citing religious reasons. With your history, I think it would spark backlash on a whole another level even though in principle the situation would still be the same. And finally, the amount of attention the gay cake got was amplified 1000x by political commentators. If it weren't for the fanatic cancervatives and libtards, nobody would even know this unimportant event had taken place.

14. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

How do you tell the difference between a liberal (libertarian for you Americans/Canadians) and an authoritarian?

When a libertarian’s offended, they won’t buy your product and have the free market punish you instead.

When an authoritarian’s offended, they’ll try to shut you down.

15. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Someone will dislike this post and want you banned

16. They are complaining because people are suffering from sexist, racist and homophobic attitudes and actions. You don't seem to be on the receiving end, that is why you don't understand what is wrong. Talk to the people affected and see how they feel. All that is being asked for by "political correctness" is that people should be polite and respectful.

17. that is far from all it is.

Hros likes this.
  18. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Seriously? What world do you live in?

BravelyKegger likes this.
  19. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

I recommend a book called "the demon in democracy" by ryszard legutko.

Deleted Account likes this.