1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good person? How do you be good? What is good?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BestVersionToday, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

A good person has seen into their own shadow, and as a result sees their connection with others to the extent that they will naturally help and do no harm. The wonder of life is that that might manifest in many different ways, so you can't say vegetarian good person, meat bad person.

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass." RUMI

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Mkngitwrk

Mkngitwrk Fapstronaut

Wow.!

3. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

I agree with this

4. See, here's the thing. There is doing bad (the wrong thing), and "being" bad, as in being a "bad person". Good people do bad (the wrong thing or not the ideal thing) but that doing of bad does not mean that they are bad. And then no bad person is all bad. I'm sure there are parts of Hitler and even an axe murderer :) that is good. Swallow that one :)

Now the whole purpose of the thread was so you (people) can share what you think is good, what is a good person, it's about your subjective opinion.

I'll say this. If you wanna know what bad is, just switch on the news. I just seen a statistic today that 42% of people who go to prison in my state are back in prison within 2 years. Interesting.

5. It doesn't matter if there was somehow even a bloody sliver of good in Hitler, he was still fucking bad to the bone.

I don't know how to describe it but it could be from a person's personality, the way they treat others, or like how they interact in this world, there's most certainly a bad side to them regardless of whether they think they're good or innocent. Of course we ourselves think we're good, yet I bet each one of us does and/or did something that's considered bad either in societies standards, or morality wise.

I don't need to switch on the news mate, I see and hear bad in my own streets, and honestly that's why I say no person is truly good even if there's sometimes good intentions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2018
  6. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Would you say that it is impossible to try to reach a state of being completely good? should we even bother to become good?

7. ClaritySeeker

It's about doing your best to be good. Treat others well, have good intentions, reduce harm, leave society better off than when you first came into the world, etc...

8. SolitaryScribe

So then would you say that our choices have an impact on who we are? Would you say that no one is inherently good or bad but rather that we are the ones who choose.

9. SolitaryScribe

How so? being innocent versus good and bad are two completely different things.

All children are innocent, but some are good and some are bad.

10. The fruit of the Holy Spirit is what makes a person good:
    Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    (Galatians 5).

What is goodness?
    To fulfill the need of somebody else without condition.

11. Depends on one’s view point. From a Biblical perspective, yes. From the view point of someone like Al Capone, no. Goodness is relative. It depends on one’s point of view. Is there really a standard for good and bad. The religious people say yes. Non-religious say no. Who’s right?

12. SolitaryScribe

I agree with you, our nature is broken and we are not inherently good. However I will argue that, that doesn't mean goodness doesn't exist in people, or that good people do not exist. I believe that goodness and evilness are choices. Goodness is a state that CAN be reached by anyone, so can evil... There are people who are genuinely good and try to be good on a day to day basis, it doesn't mean their perfect but in the general sense they are good and try to live a good honorable life.

13. SolitaryScribe

I'm not sure what kind of Christian literature you've been readying but no... we don't believe everyone is inherently evil. We believe our nature is broken which means that we have a propensity to fall into evil acts. It doesn't mean that we ourselves are evil. We actually believe that our true nature is good, that's why when we do good we tend to feel happier rather then doing evil which makes us depressed or angry.

0111zerozero11 likes this.
  14. ClaritySeeker

I think it's fair to come to that conclusion. Yes, our choices impact who we are. I do believe though that there are 3 types of people, those who naturally wish to do good, those who wish to do bad, and those in between that can go either way depending on their environment. In the end, yes I do believe we have a choice to make good or bad decisions.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  15. Wow.

Take a chill pill, relax, masturbate, don't go attacking people.

"Nobody is good", that's how you feel about yourself, and what's with the picture in your signature, that's a bit annoying.

16. I’m not attacking anybody and I’m certainly “chill", but nice try. That's how I view the world and I'm calling what I see.

Nobody is purely good plain and simple, that's how I feel about the human race, and what about my picture? Did I hurt your feelings or something?

Either way don’t ask someone what they think if you don’t want to hear a differing opinion...

Deleted Account likes this.
  17. ClaritySeeker

I agree with you, felt like @BestVersionToday was attacking you.
    Hitler was overall bad, if someone disagrees with that, then there's something wrong...

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. There is not one bloody redeeming thing about Hitler. And even if there was something good he did in the past, the atrocities and murdering he did negates that entirely.

19. I don't know, you sound aggressive. This is a friendly discussion, keep it social, were in this together.

What I was saying is that there is good and bad in everyone. Hitler is bad, evil, the worst, yes he's bad.

Your picture is fine, haha, lol, although I don't know who it is or what it represents ;)

20. I'm not aggressive and if anything you're being weirdly defensive for no reason, just because I view people as not being truly good doesn't make me aggressive.

And as I said things can negate a person from being good, he murdered and ordered how many people to die? He could of done the most charitable thing in the world or some other act of greatness, but the fact remains he still did all that. There can be something you did in your past that made you a bad person or even something you still continue to do, everyone can be good or bad but there will always be something we do that's considered bad by someone else.

That's why I say I my eyes there are no 100% good folks. But again that's my view point and honestly morality aside the concept of good and "bad" is highly subjective as it differs from person to person because it means something different to each one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.