1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My story, my struggle

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by FSH.SF.IV, Jan 30, 2015.

1. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

I have a hard time relating to some people on here because they are only interested in making X amount of days, and to me that means they haven't acknowledged or don't understand the truth of the issue. This is a forever thing for me. I don't want to stop for 10 days or 14 days, I want to STOP.
    I am 27 yrs old. My first experience with P was when I was 11 yrs old. I had no idea what my friend was showing me and I didn't understand why my body reacted like it did... I just didn't know. I was just a naive little kid, and no one had ever talked to me about that stuff, or much less warned me. Well, that was the start of it for me. For some reason I knew I felt bad, but my body felt good, and ever so slowly I began on a path. I've been struggling with this ever since- for 16 yrs. My conscience convicted me almost the moment I first saw this stuff, and I realized it was wrong. And it is wrong for SO many different reasons. I have been FIGHTING and FIGHTING and FIGHTING. Over the years I've had few of what I would call successes (I have only ever felt successful when I was able to abstain for at least like 3 months, and that has only happened a handful of times). I have had many, many failures.
    I got married a year and a half ago, my wife is the only woman I've ever slept with (which I am SO grateful for, because anyone who has waited knows that’s a struggle in itself, and honestly to God be the glory- I was more lucky than I was strong). Before I got married, I had heard a few times that some people preferred P to sex, and since I had never had sex, I just did NOT understand that. I mean, I thought, “WHAT could be better than sex!?! That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard!” Well, when my wife and I started dating, desire for ANYTHING except her just automatically went out the window for me. I went without issues for over a year after we were married (longest I've ever gone). To be honest, I thought the dragon (as I think of it) was dead.
    HOWEVER, I was wrong. My wife is pregnant now, and I have a son on the way. I don't know if it's the pregnancy, or something else, but we haven't been as "active" for the past few months and she's just felt very tired and as a result, less motivated (which I can totally understand and don't want to make her feel bad). I have been struggling again for months now. In one sense, I feel terrible about myself; I feel like a hypocrite. I want to be a man of honor and integrity- one that glorifies God, but I have this huge blemish in my life. In another sense, I am more filled with hope than I ever have been. I KNOW that I will be liberated from this. I know that God will come through and answer my prayers. I have a wife now, and a son on the way, and I love God, and because of those things I have no choice but to free of this. As a result of this new found hope, lately when I’ve failed, I am able to move on much quicker. I used to dwell in my failures almost constantly, and beat myself up mercilessly because I felt I "deserved" it. I hated myself and I HATED HATED HATED, beyond what I can even convey with words, this darkness, this dragon, that was in my life. I realize now that reacting that way caused me to dwell on the problem a whole lot, and I believe that it was just another way for the enemy to consume me with it. All the time I was either consumed in guilt, anger, and hatred, or in P, and for so many years, it was THE problem in my life… and as a result, the focal point.
    Over the years, I have opened up to countless different friends, mentors, my parents, my pastor(s), and anyone that I ever thought might be able to help me kill this thing. If it would help, I would literally go on national television and admit my struggle, because there is not ANYTHING that I wouldn’t do to kill this thing. With as many people as I’ve told though, and sought advice from, no one ever followed through with me and it usually just became me asking for help over and over again until I stopped asking. I don’t know why I am even posting this. I guess because I am impressed that there are other people out there that are struggling so honestly with these things like I have. Our generation has been done a huge disservice. Literally it’s like there is an assault on the male psyche, because we are bombarded with garbage long before we are old enough to understand it, and there is just such an overwhelming amount of P so readily available, it’s alarming. It’s devastatingly sad, and I am scared for my son. I want to be able to warn him, to educate him on this battle so that he does not have to navigate these dark waters alone. As you all know, it can be such a lonely battle…

2. faithful

faithful Fapstronaut

Totally agree with you that this has to be a permanent change, not just for X amount of days! There are a lot of reasons to win this fight, and God in your life this is TOTALLY doable! Never stop fighting brother!

3. octonacho

octonacho Fapstronaut

You are definitely not alone in this. Many here, including myself, have a very similar story. I believe that most of us here show a goal of a certain amount of days as a means to measure progress and to feel a sense of accomplishment. My goal is to be done with it for good, but I also know the benefits of celebrating small successes along the way.

Most of us go through a bit of a struggle when our wives become pregnant. Most women have a significant decrease of drive in that area. I recommend an honest and loving dialogue between you and your wife as far as that goes. Communication is key. I know you don't want to feel like a jerk or like you aren't sympathetic to her feelings, but I'm sure she loves you and you can come to some sort of agreement or arrangement. I had one friend who came to an agreement with his wife that they called "the 72 hour rule" where they together came to the decision that they would be intimate at least every 72 hours and it worked very well for them. Obviously everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another, but loving successful relationships are based on compromise. That way you don't have to feel like your begging or unsympathetic.

Anyway, I digress. As far as PMO goes, good luck on this journey. We can succeed! As far as this time in your life when you have a pregnant wife and then young children, communication and compromise are key.

4. Stans4Me

Stans4Me Fapstronaut

Hey FSH, thanks for sharing your story; it helps to connect us when we see elements of ourselves in each other. You said something that resonates with me "I realize now that reacting that way caused me to dwell on the problem a whole lot, and I believe that it was just another way for the enemy to consume me with it. All the time I was either consumed in guilt, anger, and hatred, or in P, and for so many years, it was THE problem in my life… and as a result, the focal point." And that is something I knew but didn't realize and apply to my situation and something that can help us all to beat this addiction.

There are many schools of thought that say focussing on the problem only makes it more of a problem, and you nailed it! Proof, I had a relapse yesterday but didn't dwell on it as long as I normally would because I did something positive to encourage me to stay on track (I installed K9). I looked at the solution and used that to take me along. Yeah some call it a "learning experience" but I don't know how many actually choose to follow it in a positive way and have it be a positive thing; we're too focussed on beating ourselves up.

To bring it back to the Bible, back in Bible times, Christians were told: “No temptation has taken you except what is common to men.” (1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it.) Even so, the outcome depends on the choice one makes —to dismiss the bad thought quickly or to entertain it and allow it to grow. The scripture above from the inspired letter of James warns that if one allows the wrong desire to “become fertile,” bad actions are sure to follow.

Continue to take heart, continue to reach out and reach out to others by posting and sharing. Never stop fighting!

5. Goodcreature

Goodcreature Fapstronaut

I think octonacho nailed it right there. Marriage definitely requires sacrificial love and communication. Talk to her about it. You're there to help each other.

Since it appears that you're Christian (forgive me if I'm mistaken), I keep thinking about this passage: "Now for the matters you wrote about: 'It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.' But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."

Really, you need each other. It's normal that you're feeling this way; it's just that the way you're dealing with it isn't all that great. Talk with her, and see if you can come up with a compromise.

6. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I appreciate your honesty! The weekend was good, and today was the first time I've felt a slight "urge" since last week- I refrained. Octonacho- the 72 hours thing is a great idea. And to you and Goodcreature, I have had a few conversations with my wife about this. I've admitted that I was struggling again (humbling experience- she already knew about my past struggles before we were married), and she has been very encouraging in her words to me and in prayer and always agrees to "help" in any way she can. We did not come to any specific time agreement like 72 hours, but that might be a part of the answer for us, because although she's willing, I find it hard to be honest with her when I start getting "that feeling". Also, thanks for the scripture- in my experience it's one of THE best defenses. Stay strong, boys! Saying a prayer for you 4.. - Blessings

7. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Feeling "the urge" yesterday and again today. Yesterday was very difficult, but I made it through prayer and good decisions. Today is worse. It's like the urge is pulsing inside me, getting stronger until it feels almost unbearable, then receding for a while, then coming back stronger. I look on here, and I see those of you that have failed in the past day or few days, and I KNOW what you are feeling... and that is what is keeping me going right now. It has been a reality check for me. If anyone reads this, and you are saved, I would appreciate prayer. Thanks, and blessings to you guys

8. faithful

faithful Fapstronaut

Praying for you brother! I Know that feeling all to well, when it feels like your entire body is graving it, your heart pounds and your chest feels like there's a thousand pounds on it... maybe that's just me :)
    Anyway, you can do this with His strength and the encouragement of others. I know you can make it. Just today, just have to make it today.
    One thing that helps me is to take that energy and divert it to my wife. I start flirting with her over text, just telling her why I love her, what I see when I look at her. I'm learning to turn my heart and minds affections towards her instead of dwelling on the urges, or just fighting the feelings and wants in me for P&M.
    Praying for you today, stay strong, dig deep and know that you have a wife worth fighting for and a God who will strengthen you!

9. Yanneck

Yanneck Fapstronaut

Yeah, it's about STOPPING, I totally agree. For me personally, a particular goal helps along the way - I have something to focus on and to reward myself with if I reach it. I can then set another goal, and so on and on... Till I die.
    Also, I admire your determination - it seems exceptionaly strong. By no means do I want to tempt you to let your guard down, but: Do you feel 100% comfortable living with it? Reading your story, it occured to me that perhaps you judge yourself to harshly at times and think about it too much. To err is only natural. What I aim at is that sometimes, we bind our "enemy" to us by thinking about them too much - that gives them power. I'm not that great with my English, I hope I expressed it right...
    Stay strong, brother!

10. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Still going strong, guys. This is the first day in about a week that I've really been feeling that urge again. I don't know if any of you have ever felt this, but earlier I was struggling a bit and I just got this feeling that was a mixture of hopelessness and just a complete lack of caring. It was only for a moment, but it was enough to jumpstart me into a google search. "Just to see what's out there" and "only the really soft stuff (effort to keep from feeling guilt) =(", I reasoned with myself... and I started watching a video (not p, but right on the edge) Then I had a moment of clarity and thought to myself, "this is the stupidest thing I've ever done. This is really, really dumb and there's just no excuse for it and it's not going to help me and it will only destroy me". So I stopped. I shut everything off. I logged onto here and I'm praying now, and thanking God for another victory. A close call, but a victory. I don't count every day, but when I logged on I realized that it's been 23 days still my last fall in this area, and man... YAHHHOOOOOO!!!! I'm stoked about that. Just wanted to give you guys an update.. an honest one, and thank you guys again for the support. I can't tell you how much it helps being able to have this community at your fingertips. What a blessing! Saying a prayer for you guys.. stay STRONG!

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Tim 1:7

You are warriors. Stand up for women. Fight the fight. Be men.

11. mr_scary

mr_scary Fapstronaut

Since we should all be able to add our own opinions I will give mine in reference to the "God factor".

I believe that expecting an external agent to save oneself just doesn't work. Once you give up responsibility for your life you're pretty much toast. And when you do end up committing "transgressions" there is the guilt associated with being "bad/evil", which just makes things even worse. Why not just consider the possibility that you have formed a nasty physiological/energetic/mental habit that needs to be seen for what it is?

12. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Looks like I spoke too soon. I went home to workout for a while and just.... failed. I didn't actually view P, but I viewed "a scantily clad girl". It came back and I just buckled... Feeling like CRAP. Sort of not thinking about it to avoid the guilt I think. Trying not to think about the fact that in 1 stupid decision I threw away 23 days of purity. =( Trying not to think about the fact that I did something that is so offensive to the two things I care about most in this world- God and my wife. Feeling defeated.

I know that He has already forgiven me, I just don't want to forgive myself. There is something in me that just keeps screaming that I don't deserve it- I WANT to hate myself. But there's also another part of me that sees that God and God alone is the one I have offended and He alone is the one who has the right to punish, but He doesn't.. He has forgiven me and He loves me. Therefore, I really don't have any right to hate myself, do I?
    Lord, take my pride, and humble me. And take this sin out of my life forever.

Psalm 51:3&4 "For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
    4Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
    so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment."

"Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was xfound, is saved from being lost again." St. Augustine

13. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

mr_scary, I don't deny that a nasty habit has been formed. I also don't deny that I have STRUGGLED with guilt, always. I even agree with your "physiological/energetic/habit" thing. I know that is all true. However, I don't think you see the whole picture, man. I'm not trying to put the responsibility on an "entity" (God), so that I can use that as an excuse to not try.. that's not it AT ALL. In fact, my belief in Him only makes me want to put MORE effort in. The struggle of the body and the mind is only a part of it- God DOES exist, and so does the devil. I'm not trying to be mystical or weird or anything like that, but it's just the truth. Evidence of Him is everywhere. I mean, look around, man! Why not just consider that there's more to it than just struggling with addiction? Why not consider that there is such a thing as good and evil, and that if those exist, then a war between the two might exist too? Why not consider that we might be caught in the middle, no.. that we might be the subject matter of that war? I have been fighting this a LONG time. It's so blatantly obvious in my story, that there's more than just a "physiological/energetic/mental habit" at work here. There are thought out assaults using that "physiological/energetic/mental habit". There is also a saving grace, and I believe in that saving grace with everything that I am.

Ephesians 6:12 "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

I realize that you probably don't believe in the Bible, and so backing up what I believe with something you don't believe might not make a whole lot of sense to you. But the truth is, if God is real, it really doesn't matter what you believe... It's like, you might not believe in trees, but I can assure you they still exist ;)
    God is real, man, and there is something out there doing EVERYTHING he can to make sure you don't recognize that fact..

Hope I'm not coming across aggressively- that's not my intention. Also, if your counter is up to date- props to you on 125 days. That's awesome!

14. mr_scary

mr_scary Fapstronaut

The closest I came to viewing my dealing with MO as a battle of good vs evil was when the imagery and storylines that "assaulted" me for the last 30 years would become so sophisticated that I uttered the words "daemons" a few times. I know the temptation of labelling things with religious undertones. But I started to do a very simple practice when the "slimy filth started to slither". I simply stopped being a frightened little child and opened my eyes, so to speak. And you know what happened? I could no longer actually see those sensuous shapes anymore, no longer hear those seductive voices, no more erotic threesomes with underage women. I just couldn't see them anymore. So I discovered that what was "attacking" me wasn't external to me at all. They were a figment of my imagination, generated out of my mind, for reasons I can only guess. Maybe to maintain an illusion of what I once was, a lonely frightened child. Preventing me from growing up. If I got caught in the bible thing I would have entered a world chock full of characters, stories, daemons, saints, etc. to keep up that illusion probably for the rest of my life. Alas I had no use for them. All I had to do was calm down and look straight ahead, unflinchingly, without any preconceived ideas. And Satan simply vanished (*without smoke*).

15. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

OR, you simply closed your eyes to the truth...

Humor me for a second- IF there was a devil, and he hated God and hated YOU, don't you think his greatest goal would be to convince you that God does not exist? It's his greatest atrocity. If Satan were real, he wouldn't need you to believe in him, he would only need you to NOT believe in God.

You and I have a very different view on the spiritual realm. It may have frightened you, and I completely understand that. But I am not frightened by the things I was talking about and I'm certainly not a child =)
    Just because something frightens you, that's not a very good reason to put your head in the sand and then say, "hey, it disappeared! Must not have been real...". I'm sorry, but that's just foolish.

I don't know if you're much of a reader, but I am. I'm going to refer you to someone a lot smarter than I am, someone with a gift for philosophy and logic.. if you're interested, check out C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity is an EXCELLENT read and really goes into depth about the existence of God in an unbiased way (Lewis was an atheist). Another good read by him was Screwtape Letters which has a lot to do with what we're talking about- the devil and other "evil" forces. I really enjoyed both of those books- they really stretched my mind and my heart.

Just out of curiosity, is your 126 days accurate?

Blessings...

16. mr_scary

mr_scary Fapstronaut

Yes, if Satan and God exist then Satan and God exist. And small glowing flying saucers may be parking in my backyard every night while I sleep so it would really be a good idea for me to buy special UFO insurance.

Let's move on.

Yes, my orgasm-by-masturbation days are accurate.

17. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Dude, no offense, but let's "move on"? You started this conversation, and you're the one with the attitude. It could have ended anytime, and I'm not sure what UFO's have to do with this. Just an observance, but it's obvious there's more to this than just unbelief- you've got an agenda, and you've got a lot of anger at the idea of "God". Either you're not as honest with yourself or as resolved in your decision as you're letting on or you're just trying to get someone stirred up. Best of luck to you, and again, congrats on 127 days.

18. Actually, you seem to be the one with the agenda, FSH. Thinking of your nofap discipline as a struggle against evil may work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone. Everyone approaches the problem their own way, and each way is as legitimate as another. There's no need to browbeat Mr. Scary... if you are trying to convert him, you're going about it the wrong way. "Preach the gospel always, if necessary use words," St. Francis said. Yelling at someone isn't going to make someone more likely to believe in God. It'll just make them wonder why, if there was a God, God's people are so freaking angry and pushy.

Mr. Scary has his own ways to deal with porn and they don't involve God. Good for him. If they work, then just leave him to it. If he's fine fighting his addiction without God and he is showing progress (as he obviously is), there is no reason for you to try to convince that he needs God.

19. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

mumchance, I am a Christian. As such, I believe that everyone needs God, regardless of whether they look at P or not.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood, but it sure felt like mr_scary was trying to convince me that I dont need God, and beyond that, was trying to make it seem ridiculous that I would ever actually believe in Him. Which honestly, is fine, I don't mind being thought of as dumb or ridiculous, lol. I didn't mean to come across rude, or with an agenda, I only wanted to respond to his posts. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone or anyone's view, to be honest, I just felt like he was belittling mine.

Anyways, this is sort of feeling like a "he said, she said" situation and feels a little childish. Honestly, man, I just love God and want to do what's right. I post on here to encourage people, and because I've been really encouraged by other's posts, isn't that what this is all about? That being said (and I really don't mean this offensively), if I'm asked a question, I'm going to respond with an honest answer, and I don't mean that to be offensive. Just honest..

20. FSH.SF.IV

FSH.SF.IV Fapstronaut

Sorry this got so intense, guys. I honestly never intended it to.