1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm scared of authority

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Kman20, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

I find it's easier for me to talk to my peers or people younger than me but when it comes to people I subconsciously view as "higher up" or above me I am scared. Whether it's my boss, someone in a higher position, my professor, or some company head I tend to shrink down. It makes me feel like less and not equal to these people. I feel I should face this fear by engaging with more of these people I fear. Anyone else relate?

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Yeah, I feel the same way. Which led to a number of problems in my life.

3. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Such as ? If you don't mind sharing.

4. VoicesFromTheOtherSide

VoicesFromTheOtherSide New Fapstronaut

Flaws in the schooling system I presume. Since voicing out opinions at a young age was considered pointless and we were probably shunned for speaking up and made to feel like "we know nothing"

This fear and acceptance of "our superiors" remains.

5. IWantToChange:')

IWantToChange:') Fapstronaut

Yeah I agree on that.., I was like that, but it's becoming better and better now.

6. It makes perfect sense that you feel that way because the "superiors" do all they can to brainwash people into believing they are inferior. This is where they want you to be. The authoritarian elements in society work towards people accepting hierarchies. It is very hard to overcome this fear, for it is real. If you talk back to someone higher up in the hierarchy, you will be reprimanded.

At some point you will learn about the incompetence and corruption of those higher up that you will learn to despise them. Maybe then you will find the courage to rebel. All the best.

IWantToChange:') likes this.
  7. IWantToChange:')

IWantToChange:') Fapstronaut

Exactly.

8. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

That fear is basically saying that you don't value your desires / what you have to say / what you want to do / your own existence / your self worth / how much you deserve to be there with them / etc.

What makes them better / higher than you? You think too highly of them and not high enough of yourself.

When you shrink down around these people, you're basically placing more value on being liked by others than on your honest self expression. Meaning you don't think you're good enough as you are and you either act in a way that you think they'll like you for or you just shrink down to the point where you don't make any sort of mistakes for them to criticize.

Josh Black Koira likes this.
  9. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

It's kind of hard to explain because you'd need to understand the entire situation, but in short: inability to connect well with higher-ups and to communicate my needs the right way.

10. What you have to understand is that they are humans just like you, nothing better, nothing worse. They were also once a child, they also went through puberty, they also have a favourite tv show, etc, just like you. Hell, they probably also fear higher authorities. There really is no reason to fear them, but instead to look up to higher authorities. Try speaking to them with confidence, and you will quickly realise my point. Just be yourself man.

11. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

I've always felt in the opposite way, as if people younger or under me could not understand my discussion and so only those who were up above me could relate to my discussions. Try not always beiing the "teaching" figure and try going out with people who make you feel small