1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion? ALL FAITHS WELCOME :)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ReekIsBorn, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Aryan

Aryan Fapstronaut

In my opinion religion is a great motivation for nofap.And it can be any religion.I am a Hindu and in Bhagwat Gita(sacred text of Hindus) it is written that lust and anger are the surest gates to hell.Some say it clearly while in other cases we have to interpret it.The fact is that lust and sexual disrespect is considered sin in any religion.
    I am not saying one must be religious to be successful at nofap but for me,I cannot even touch The Bhagwat Gita book after I have fapped.

2. Uncle Rocco

Uncle Rocco Fapstronaut

I recommend going to YouTube and doing a search for the term "astrotheology". I had earned a Master's degree in Religious Studies before I ever heard the term. There are important truths and life paths to be found in modern, organized religion. That said, religion is not what it seems.

3. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Despite our fears this thread has been conducted better then most comment sections anywhere on the internet I have seen. And we should all be proud of that.

4. Manimal

Manimal Fapstronaut

I can say from personal experience the difference between religion and spirituality is not clear enough for some people. It wasn't for me for a very long time. I believe religion is just a language to try and help fellows on a path to a greater existence. Some people NEED to be in contact with a god, or creator or higher power, I'm one of them. Addiction had me so bad I could not find my values, or humility. Having a higher power has help show me that I need help and that if I accept it (AA and NoFap) then I have chance to live a life that is useful to others and fulfilling for myself. My god is NoFap, my god is you people, my god is humanity and unity.

5. Rectify

Rectify Fapstronaut

And some people do not associate a higher power with spirituality/religion. The concept of 'turning my will and life over' does not appeal to me at first sight.

I am a Buddhist and while I view the Buddhism I practice as a teaching, a blueprint if you will for right living which leads to genuine peace and happiness for oneself and others, and method of escaping birth and death ultimately, I realize that achievement by my own efforts alone is foolish and as if one is refusing aid from a lifeboat that has offered rescue to one drowning at sea.

I recite a mantra and bow to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas daily. To not rely on their powers combined with my own efforts towards liberation, my chances of success would be next to nothing in this life, and who knows how many lifetimes and what painful existences I would pass through as my karma was worked out on the way to liberation.

And so rather than completely turn my will over to a higher power, I must align it with 'higher powers', resonate with powers greater than myself and the combined efforts will be able to help me.

6. ReekIsBorn

ReekIsBorn Fapstronaut

Does anyone believe in reincarnation?

7. Manimal

Manimal Fapstronaut

Fortitude, I competently agree with you! Faith without works is dead! Belief in a higher power is for me really just admitting I'm not god and that I need to accept my place on this earth, connect or align to higher powers and do the next right thing. The key is to DO it, God wont do it for me.

8. BahaiGuy

BahaiGuy Fapstronaut

It looks like I'm just a little bit late to this thread, but not too late so I'll reply anyway.

I'm a Bahá'í. As a Bahá'í, I believe that there is only one God, Who has been worshipped under different names throughout history. I believe that all revealed religions, by which I mean religions revealed through what is commonly called a Prophet, are true. I believe that God has sent Messengers to every culture and society throughout history. These Messengers, Who Bahá'ís refer to as Manifestations of God, gave the people they came to a religion that was perfect for that people at that time. As humanity progressed and became capable of understanding fuller truths God sent new Manifestations Who renewed religion for their people. This has been going on as long as human beings (that is beings with souls, not necessarily homo sapiens) have existed, and will continue indefinitely. The latest Manifestation, in Bahá'í belief, came to humanity in the 1800s in Persia, modern Iran, with the purpose of uniting all mankind under one creed, and making them as one nation. His name was Bahá'u'lláh.

My beliefs are 100% the reason why I want to live a life of chastity and abstinence. Bahá'í law requires us to practice chastity outside of marriage, and this chastity includes no fantasies or masturbation. I haven't always followed this, but I've recently become more devoted to my faith and want to follow all of God's laws to the best of my ability.

9. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

I'm an atheist. And I'm very spiritual-minded. I seek truth. I think religion is immoral. It robs children of the ability to make rational decisions in life. It distorts reality, making children guilty and ashamed for being themselves. I really wish people could focus more on the teachings of Christ and other enlightened ones, instead of all those fire and brimstone fairy tales.

10. BahaiGuy

BahaiGuy Fapstronaut

Phibz, not all religions are like that. What you describe is the result of people adding their own ideas to the original religion. One of the main principles of the Bahá'í Faith is the independent investigation of truth, and that goes for children as well. So while children are raised in the Faith, they are encouraged to learn about other beliefs as well and they are taught everything in school that other children are taught. They are expected to decide if they want to stay in the Faith at 15, and if they decide not to they are not looked down upon and are welcome to come back at any time, or not. It's their choice.

11. BlueOxide

BlueOxide Fapstronaut

Love the "forbidden Sex before marriage" part. Wish that was a worldwide class 1 felony tbh.

12. BahaiGuy

BahaiGuy Fapstronaut

Most religions require chastity before marriage. Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, the Bábí and Bahá'í Faiths, etc. All their holy books say: no sex before marriage. All of them. And they don't make exceptions. But it seems to be one of the most ignored laws in religion. That and the Golden Rule.