1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Four steps of relieving a Brain Lock has helped me immensely!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by nericwilson, Feb 6, 2015.

1. nericwilson

nericwilson Fapstronaut

The book "Brain Lock" authored by Dr Jeffrey M Schwartz presents four steps in enabling one to become one's own therapist by performing self-directed neuro-plasticity which is an advanced form of exposure and prevention response also termed as cognitive bio-behavioural therapy. And the steps are:
    1. Relabel
    2. Reframe
    3. Refocus
    4. Revalue

In Relabel, you label your intruding nagging thoughts,urges or desires as "obsessions","compulsions" and so on...

Then in Reframe, you attribute those tendencies to faulty neural circuits in brain where you say "Oh, it's just my brain misfiring. It is those unhealthy brain wirings that are causing me these sensations. If you are good at finding fault with others and blaming stuff, you can use those skills for a better use here. It's time to BLAME that blankety-blank bad brain circuit!! for having these sensations, feelings, compulsions, thoughts and experiences. Let me carve out a new pathway in focusing my attention towards an all important activity or some other constructive stuff!

And in vital step 3, you Refocus your attention onto any constructive activity such as reading a research paper you've been putting off for too long, or play your enjoyable sport or any activity that diverts your attention from sex or nagging thoughts and focuses on to a healthy activity.

Finally in step 4, you revalue your experiences and gain a wider perspective and awareness that you are improving in your life by depriving those unhealthy self-defeating neural circuits of the fuel they need i.e. your attention! and thereby enhancing your newly established healthy brain circuits by focusing on constructive activities.

It definitely works!

Ploutos likes this.
  2. NotAfraid

NotAfraid Fapstronaut

Could you please shed more light on this subject?

3. nericwilson

nericwilson Fapstronaut

I've re-edited my post. So, is it good enough detail now or should I elaborate more?

4. NotAfraid

NotAfraid Fapstronaut

Nah, it's good. Great stuff.

5. mijereah

mijereah Fapstronaut

This is very technical. I have never heard of this.

6. nericwilson

nericwilson Fapstronaut

Absolutely! It's technical and very much workable. And, I Thank GOD for at last showing me a technical manual that has the potential to change/repair one's bad brain wiring!