1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I Don't Like New Years

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Solomon435, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Have you noticed the fact that I absolutely hate New Years? Really, I do. I can't remember at any time I was happy about starting a new year. I'll be open with you; I'd rather be hit with a bus than start a year over again. It's never really meant anything good for me. Why would I want to repeat the new year when to me it seemed to be full of conflict and hurt?

It's even worse since I'm turning 18 next year, which means I'm gonna be given ahuge dump of responsibilities that I feel like I'm not ready for yet. What I going to do? People expect me to be sent away fortwo years as a missionary, but I don't want to do that. I don't know what I'll do if I choose not to go, so that's a problem in and of itself.

Sometimes I wish I could reset time. I should be happy I'm turning 18, but it seems like I'm doomed to suffering and grief, just like everyone tells me I'll feel.

I just...gah, I don't know. I just wasn'twhatever it is to stop.

2. Why are people expecting you to be sent away for two years as a missionary :/

3. TheBarbarian

TheBarbarian Fapstronaut

At 18 you will be an adult and have the right not to be a missionary if you don’t want to. Set yourself a goal like getting a job or starting college

CH3RRY likes this.
  4. It's a cultural/family thing. With the particular religion I'm a part of young men are not only told to but commanded to go on missions. The young women have a choice though, so it's not as messy if they decide not to go.

That and how my family and community would take it. My parents have told me that it's okay if I choose not to go on a mission as long as I've prayerfully considered. Although I don't think my relatives would like it all that much, and I don't want to make my parents look bad to them or to have us face ridicule for it.

That applies to my community too. What would it look like to them if I didn't go on a mission, even though I'm commanded to do it? To me I would know why, but they won't due to perspective.

...I'm sorry, I usually try to avoid talking about religion. I hope this answers the question.

5. I don't think I have those kind of rights, but thanks anyway. I think I should do the goal making though or, at least, make a plan for each scenario.

6. Wow, that's completely unfair, mann. I believe that if your heart's not in to doing something then you shouldn't do it, especially things like becoming a missionary. I see that it's not by choice though which makes things quite worse.. .
    I think as long as you've got your loving parents on your side that nothing else truly matters.. they obviously love you enough to "look bad" infront of people. They support you and want you to be happy. Hopefully you have the strength to do what you truly want and face those opposing your decision with your family. But either way, I hope you figure things out..and that it'll be ok.. or that they will one day be.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

New year is just like a new week or a new day, just that the reaction about it is more hyped, that's it. I am not religious so I will not give my opinion about the matter, but it is terrible when other people pressures you to do something you don't like.

Gotham Outlaw and Solomon435 like this.
  8. TheBarbarian

TheBarbarian Fapstronaut

What are the maximum consequences of not going on the mission?

9. Marcelo48

Marcelo48 Fapstronaut

Wow, where are you from? I've never heard something like that.

10. I'm assuming you're a Mormon.

Solomon435 and Coffee Candy like this.
  11. I don't know how other people do it. By the time they're 18 they've already got plans and want to go on the missions. Well, I guess they're more sure of what's going on.

Yeah, I hope so. A house divided against itself can't stand, so I'm hoping that never becomes a problem.

It doesn't help when people tell you it's some kind of duty if you don't do you'll be in big trouble. I should spend time remembering that it's just a new year i just a number.

Facing social ridicule, being a disappointment to my family, extended or close, being seen as a bad example to my younger siblings, facing potential damnation and the like...well, now that I'm looking at this I'm really thinking. I've faced ridicule for almost all my life, I've gotten my Eagle Scout rank so my family and siblings will have something to be proud of me in, all I have to worry about is the last one, I guess.

So things won't be too bad.

From the Rockies of good ol' USA. Though now that I think about it maybe I'm just projecting the attitude of a small group of people on a much larger group. Hm...

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!

12. Thanks guys. I've taken a moment to really think and I feel better now. For one thing I can just think about an answer and stick with it. I don't need to be looking for the approval of other people in all of my choices.

Plus, my bishop said the maximum age for going on missions is 27. I've got more than enough time to have an answer! No biggie.

Thank you all. :)

Gotham Outlaw and Coffee Candy like this.
  13. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

Let me guess, you're Singaporean?

Solomon435 likes this.
  14. Ha ha ha, no, sorry.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  15. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

I wonder what country then. I'm a Singaporean and all men are obligated to go to National Service as Soldiers/Police once they're 18. Or unless they're still continuing they're studies to get their diploma or so. Then it would be postpone to their 20's.

Solomon435 likes this.
  16. That sounds a lot like this. I'm from North America and it's more of a religious thing. Though I imagine it isn't like going into a military force. That's crazy and pretty cool.

17. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

Its interesting how different people see this situation differently. Some dont think much of it, think its just the way it is, and individual choice is far, far away back in their mind. Some put individual choice first, even letting their heart do decisions for them.

You obviously do put value in your choice, and its a good thing you listened to yourself. Whatever choice or consequence, it will do you good to own it.

Solomon435 likes this.
  18. Time is just a man-made construct, my guy. It's just another day. There only thing I hate about new years is the gym is Jan packed the first week or so. PACKED. And then the next week, people give up

Solomon435 likes this.
  19. Beamer

Beamer Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

My Journal
    @Solomon435 :
    Don't focus on the artificial "Januari 1st" but try to be happy every day again with the things that are good in your life.
    We all have them if we look close enough, very often little things we take for granted when they sometimes are not...

All my best buddy, and try to stay positive, it's so important to be :)

Solomon435 likes this.
  20. Thank you, everyone. I'm gonna do my best to be more positive.

Deleted Account likes this.