1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Smoking Affect Testosterone? (Smoking Addiction)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by goten24, Dec 22, 2018.

1. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Does anyone in here that quit smoking, saw some benefits when it comes to testosterone? Does the nicotine affect it? I started smoking when I was 18y and it's one of my biggest regrets, I'm currently 24 trying to quit. And trying to lose weight. Did anyone had much better results after quitting smoking while working out(lift weighting and cardio) ?

2. Fenston999

Fenston999 Fapstronaut

I quit smoking 6 years ago and have had nothing but benefits. I don't really remember noticing anything about testerone but definitely could breathe much better. My lungs started feeling much clearer and when doing long bike rides I didn't get that burning lung feeling. Ciggaretes themselves are pretty nasty with all the additives they put in there and they are just quick fix kind of drug. Gives you something to do with your hands and takes the edge off for 20 mins or so. I Heard it takes like 10 years for your body to reverse all the damage they do though.

Nugget9 likes this.
  3. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

@goten24 The worst thing about working out and smoking cigarettes is that cigarettes contain a chemical known as tar. This chemical reduces the transportation of oxygen in the blood, meaning that less oxygen is transported around the blood the more you smoke. This can interfere with muscle gain and recovery. It also interferes a lot with your cardio, you become less fit. Also you said you want to lose weight, you don't want to lose weight, you want to lose fat, there is a big difference. Because weight includes things like muscle mass, cells,tissues,organs etc. You want to keep all that, you just want to get rid of fat. To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. I don't think that smoking interfere with that. However if you are worried about testosterone then you should really quit smoking as in many cases it leads to testicular cancer. Its very hard to quit, maybe try to use a vape. Vapes are much better as they don't contain tar, which is than chemical that does all the damage to your body in terms of health.

Nugget9 likes this.
  4. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Exactly, that's the worst. It's just a stupid addiction, to feel more "relaxed" - I usually smoke whenever I'm bored, with friends going out or after lunch and dinner. I used to be that person in the group that didn't smoke while everyone did. Now I'm one of them and I feel stupid. And I wanna quit before I get much older.
    Exactly, my bad! That's what I meant actually. Losing fat instead of weight. Thanks for replying, I been watching some youtube videos about the benefits and stories about how hard smokers quit and their personal benifits they had, it really inspired me alot. I won't vape though. I wanna do it hard mode. No help of anything. I "only" been smoking for 6 years. I actually managed to not smoke during the week but toughest part is during the weekend whenever I go out everywhere I go, there's people smoking which makes it much more difficult for me. I guess I'll just have to be stronger than those urges.

5. Anti-ordinary

@goten24 Good luck man. Hope you succeed!

6. Fenston999

Fenston999 Fapstronaut

Ya don't vape, just quit it all, cause it could lead back to cigs. Plus Vapes bring water into your lungs. I've heard about ppl getting popcorn lung.

7. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Day 5 without smoking, so far so good! Worst part is whenever I finish meals or hang out with smokers, I'm having chewing gums to avoid relapsing and drinking more water which is pretty good.

8. Anti-ordinary

@goten24 Good to hear man! Keep grinding.

9. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Eh, I relapsed on the new years eve with friends. But I'm faithful that I will quit now. Only smoked like 4 times though, they spent like 3 packs of cigarettes. Huge waste of money. So I'm proud of myself for that.

I'm faithful that I will quit now. No more excuses.

10. Gil_1993

Gil_1993 Fapstronaut

I quit smoking almost a month ago.
    I can really tell that I have way more energy, even when im working out. Like I used to smoke one pack everyday and I used to feel drained tired anxious...
    Now I feel way more better, of course I still need to finish with PMO to gain more benefits.
    I also suggest that you should avoid a bit from your smokers friends in the first two weeks, in the beginning I did it as well and its helped.

11. Navegante

Navegante Fapstronaut

I am 35. A smoker for the last 15 the years. I quit weed 9 months ago and tobacco 2 months ago. I have also seen improvements in erection this last month. I consider it another step in my nofap journey.

Don't worry about testosterone. Worry about health.

12. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Before my new years eve relapse, I was on day 8 without smoking and even during those days, I felt much better. The biggest struggle was after meals and when I wake up. After new years eve, I haven't touched a cigarette at all - I'm having mint gums whenever I have an urge(isn't happening as often as I expected) and drinking more water. Worst thing is that even I can't avoid smokers, my mom is super addicted and I have to deal with it. I just got to be stronger. I'm hoping this decision of mine can inspire to do the same as me even though it has to come from her. She needs to take the first step.
    15 years as a smoker and quitting like that is always amazing in my book, congratulations. I know there are people who smoked for way more years but still you should feel proud for that.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

13. Fenston999

Fenston999 Fapstronaut

Just do what you have to stay away from it. When I quit I was eating candy bars like crazy at first to kill urges.

14. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

I had been a smoker previously, and found that nicotine urges are fleeting and pass quickly. When an urge arrives, I find that a good tip is to become actively aware of the urge, and ride it out intentionally. Try it when you’re alone at home, and try it when you’re around others smoking too.

15. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

I think I'm having a huge progress because just today I found a cigarette randomly around my house, and first thinking was to break it in half and put it in the trash can. During the previous attempts to stop smoking, I'd think like: "A smoke won't hurt" and then go back the old cycle by smoking regularly. Not this time though.

Just by having that mindset to not light a cigarette when it's close to me, says alot in my book.

Navegante likes this.
  16. goten24

goten24 Fapstronaut

Hopefully it's safe to say, that I quit smoking, still haven't touched it. I have a lot of shit I need to improve on myself but at least there's this achievement of mine I can be proud of.

17. Jup1t3r

Jup1t3r Fapstronaut

Well done young man. I recently got bronchitis and that's been a great help in my temptations.

Interestingly, I have stopped smoking before and for very long periods of time, but one thing that almost always makes me want to smoke is when I see someone smoking on TV. I don't know what it is, but I find it to be quite a powerful trigger.